Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

What were you smoking? I was only joking about Pelicans up here ;)

What were you smoking? I was only joking about Pelicans up here ;)

Seriously? Ask slabber.. we left the smoke at home... They may have been albatross' with foot long bills.

I wish I had the camera..FFG saw em too

I've never seen them in November...usually late September.

There where two at dock today,, I've noticed the vultures seem to later the last couple years too.

There where two at dock today,, I've noticed the vultures seem to later the last couple years too.
Some of the vultures stay year around when they get too old to migrate south. Kind of like my parents in the latter
part of the '90's.
T2

I spend a decent amount of time in California ..... They were always around as a kid down there (80's)... Made a hiatus in the 90's but a steady comeback on the last 10 years. Obviously not scientific, just me having a couple cold ones on the beach taking it all in. I have heard has to do with DDT but not sure about that. Would hedge my bets more on climate trends. Definitely cool beans tho. Never seen them up here and I grew up half a block from the water. Wondering if they arent following the Mack's up. Sorry for the hijack. Better than a poaching post tho.

Yep, global warming will do it! Expect to see more birds you don't recall appearing this late (or before at all) to start showing up. And different fish in our local waters, with what overall effect on salmon and our other local species, yet to be determined.......

7 hours between christopher and the head. 2 strikes and a 5 pounder to swim free another day! Super slow compared to the day we had prior. On a positive note we managed to avoid the prawn traps. Not sure how you couldent avoid them? LOL The yellow float stood out the a stop sign!

P.S. What does FFG mean?

-KK

We saw a Pelican winging by Oak bay this afternoon, weird or what ?

I saw one this summer in Oak bay as well, Brown Pelican - apparently there used to be a lot more up here. So I don't think its a matter of global warming but they are recolonizing their former range.

Next time you should stick, stay and make it pay in the bay :D

The Pelicans were easy to spot... unlike the poorly marked prawn float,that's why they paint stop signs red

BTW our Spring was big enough to feed two families :)
7 hours between christopher and the head. 2 strikes and a 5 pounder to swim free another day! Super slow compared to the day we had prior. On a positive note we managed to avoid the prawn traps. Not sure how you couldent avoid them? LOL The yellow float stood out the a stop sign!

P.S. What does FFG mean?

-KK

FFG = Forget Fishing try Golf

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was famous forum guy.... I guess its really open to interpretation..:D

Fished the channel yesterday for 2.5 hours one light strike within the first 5 mins nothing after that. Saw "Good Time Dave" in there with 4 fish.

Back at er today for a kick once the old man returns from work.

-KK

Back at er yesterday for 3 hours picked up a couple 8,9 and lost another on a double header in the same size range.

-KK

Couple more today on a short 3 hour fish. chubby little 7 pounders to swim free and one for the Barbie!

Green and shallower then the last few.

-KK

Out today for another few hours not a sniff. Trolled from bedfords to obrien and back with a few passes at all the good spots along the way. Nothing but a couple shakers. I hear a 17 was caught off Fraser.

Back at er in the AM

-KK

Well they are not hot and heavy yet. but there have been some good days. And some decent fish out there.

Here is one we got the other day. 11.7 on the digital scale. Good battle.

WinterSpringFishing009.jpg

-KK

Back