Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

The bank has been great but the seals seem to follow me around as target number 1. Gets tiring when you loose 6 out of 8 to the seal (including both on a double) and still see him following for more. Sooke was good this morning and the water was nice. Most are smaller but a few around 8 pounds.

Fished from 8-3. Beecher to Christopher. Hit 10 small springs around 4 pounds and a 6.5 and 8.5 pound hatchery springs. 89 and 154 ft. Go figure!

-KK

Went out today from 8:30am until 1:30pm for the first shot at winter Chinooks this season. Very nice sunny day on the water but almost zero success. Trolled around the harbour mouth and down to the trailer park and back. Lots of stuff on the sounder from 30 -80 feet in 110 feet of water but only contacted shakers at those depths. Could not buy a hit on hootchies of any colour. The only hits we got were anchovies (2) and spoon (1) at 135 feet in same depth of water but they were all small. One got off, released one and kept one 4lb hatchery fish. Will wait till next month when maybe they will be bigger……

Got out with Slabber today... What a beautiful day!

Slow in Beecher but managed a real nice one and a rattle or two.... And a bunch of rocks and a decent ling that swam. As well as a prawn trap...LOL I guess the float was in a bit of a back eddie and we went down the wrong side and ended up with the rope in the lead clip.

Until Pro mentioned that pelicans came around in the other thread, I had no idea and never saw one. We get to the boat and sure as shyte there is two of them right there... Big ugly birds but sure was cool to see.

I got a nice big slab o' winter for dinner tomorrow.

Thanks again buddy

Was out yesterday for 4 hours. Hit and landed a nice 10 pounder before I had a a chance to give a reel lesson to the guests. Slammed off the rigger, surprised me it happened so fast. (right off the tin shed) Thought to myself...this better not be one of those days that you get all your action in the first 30 seconds and then nothing. Well except for some throw backs and a bunch of really small shaker springs....that is exactly what happened. The sounder looked decent but couldn't find another fish. Crabbing was decent in the harbour.

View attachment 5317 thank government for hali quota

Wait for it.......
emo-coffee.gif

Well I'm already here so I might as well be the first...hope they choke on it. They bought it...paid the guy sitting on the couch with the quota. Next they will have to pay him for their salmon when the gov sees that some will buy into the quota system.

I wonder if forwarding their picture on to DFO would ensure they have to pay $5 to $6 a pound for it...as I'm sure they won't report it as caught and submit that no quota was used.

No actually I got into my fair share of trouble in school...but I grew up. However since you brought it up....School did teach me to think about the consequences of your actions. So when salmon fishing in Sooke ends on Labour day because the sport quota is gone....and the present early restrictions stay in place...YOU won't have anything to ***** about.

Those trees are green year round.

I never complain about fishin and if I ever need fish there is always at least one charter guy thats got fish for sale.

Well you will be well ahead of the curve...paying for all your fish won't bother you.

Guests play all fish, but only walk away with their limits. I have 8 springs on my licence, 2 of them are from Nootka and are in vacuum bags in my freezer. 3 others were caught in area 19 (Constance Bank) and were small barbi fish. The other 3 came from Sooke in June and early and went to St Jeans for smoke/canned supply.

Good troll chaos...

You won two pages of irrelevant posts.

I saw pelicans today.....

Lets get back on topic.... If you want some real stuff... go to the fresh section and start a steelhead flossing thread :D

Back