Something Wicked This Way Comes - ON THE LINE

Not going against you but Suncor pipeline going under the Athabasca river has been drilled under from about five hundred meters back from the riparian line and they had to make two or three attempts at it. It was done about 15yrs ago. I have no written proof but I watched with great interest as the drilling went on.
Needless to say it is a very expensive proceedure.
I am not for the Gateway pipeline even though I hold shares in the company, that being said we are all guilty of supporting this everytime we pull up to the gas pumps or we turn up the thermostat.
NAA1.gif

If you let the battle go you are just giving in which they expect to happen. Every time we put up a fight even if we lose the battle but not the war. The tougher it is made to win concessions the more they will listen to us.

Since when do they bore a pipeline under a stream or river.
Do you have a link that shows them doing it.
http://www.enbridge.com/Norealis/Clearwater-River-Temporary-Bridge.aspx
edit to add link of what walleys posted.
Matter of fact I do know something about pipelines.
Inspected a few in my time.
Matter of fact I do know what Alberta means to this province.
Worked Alberta oil path for 25 years.
If you haven't noticed the main objection is in the tankers.
I'm surprised you think the risk to our salmon is worth this hare-brain idea.
GLG

I too know the facts. I have worked in the patch and have friends and family that still work there. So don't tell me I don't know what's going on. The tar sands is the dirtiest oil there is and the environmental damage that is done is just not worth it. You need to get off the crack pipe if you think that the BC economy is run with Alberta money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that you may Casper but I also have worked here for 34 yrs and realize the facts and I will not say you are wrong. The facts still point to that if you are buying any petroleum product you are supporting this industry. The money you pay to carbon tax goes nowhere near the fund required to bypass petroleum use, the Governments use it as general income. So paying a carbon tax is a no-go. Money talks and ******** walks. That is why the governments are worried about outside monies getting into the fight. The big supporters of the resistors know that if the pipelines are stopped the increased cost will be channelled back into their pockets.
The only way to stop them and be heard is to stop buying any petroleum product.
I too know the facts. I have worked in the patch and have friends and family that still work there. So don't tell me I don't know what's going on. The tar sands is the dirtiest oil there is and the environmental damage that is done is just not worth it. And can you show me where they are going to drill instead of go over land? You need to get off the crack pipe if you think that the BC economy is run with Alberta money.

The thing that really still gets to me is, we are doing all this to sell to countries that are so much bigger then yours and are going to pollute at a rate so much faster then we did(and still do) But we must start being green. Why not we ALL start thinking green. Why are we all going green while we sell all this to the other side of the world so they can pollute it at a faster rate then we did. Just doesn't make sense.

Holmes don't even get me started on the raw log ********. And before Walleye says I don't know the facts on raw logs, I worked in the mill before those jobs were all shipped over seas.

Boys in a perfect world in a perfect situation we would not need these lines, or wells or mines we wouldn't need these fish farms we wouldn't need these gas gusling boats we own we wouldn't need the hydro damns we wouldn't need any of it,, but I hate to be the one to break the news,, we don't live in a perfect world. All of us are dependant on fossil fuels and whether you choose to beleive it or not we will be for a very very long time. Now I may have been a bit harsh in my statement you will have to forgive me but when uninformed people start bashing an industry that I know and that I understand it gets me wound up.. Holmes you brought up a subject that I think about often and we can use it in this situation, Fish Farming.. All I know about fish farming is what I see on TV and read in the media,, and its not good. Yet every time I am out on the coast I see people working in this industry and meet people supporting it. For me to pass judgment on it just from what the media has to say sorry I can't,, not knowing what I know about how the media can spin things when it comes to the oil industry. They do not use facts they use fear mongering and only the worst of the worst to push there agenda. I can not give a proper objective or view nor will I on something I do not fully understand. Now,, for people from outside the oil industry trying to give me lessons on what happens and what we do to the environment and all the damage we do and how care free we are sorry it just doesn't work,, you do not know nor do you understand all that is involved in this industry. Yes there have been mistakes made in the past big ones,, will there be mistakes made in the future ?? unfortunately yes. Look there is a certain amount of inherent risk in anything we a humans do on this earth and thats a fact. All we can do is try our best through our mistakes and through design we can try and minumilise those mistakes when they happen. The oil industry pumps billions and billions of dollars into the Canadian economy it is the single largest contributor to this countries coffers and in turn thats good for all of us. It makes life that much easier for us all. I am not saying these companies should be given a free for all not for a minute but this attitude that,, I want it just not in my back yard has to stop. If we expect to benefit from any of it then we all have to share in the cost,,, thats life. People on the west coast enjoy one of the best lifestyles in the country with infrastructure and benefits not known in many parts of the country.. How do you all expect those benefits to be paid for,, it can't be just given to you,, you have to be part of the wage earner,, part of the rest of the country, part of the risk that the rest of us have to live with..

And PS Casper,, your raw logs and jobs are being shipped over seas becasue your unions pushed the jobs and the logs out,, but thats a topic for another day..

Believe me holmes,, you are not talking to a city boy here at all either,, pretty much the farthest thing from it,, almost despise the life most of them live but that being said I am glad for cities otherwise all those people would be spread out and be living all over the place,, how much fun would that be. No I am a backwoods redneck as backwoods as they come now a days. Yes I do enjoy a nice paycheck but thats just because it allows me the time and toys to get out and enjoy the things we enjoy, like our fishing and hunting. We pretty much live on wild meat in our house like 3 days out of the week in our house is food we have gathered ourselves. Actualy most of our hunting and fishing is done in the areas of these so called bad oil plants,, pretty pristine country other than the open mines and they will be reclaimed once they extract the oil from the sand and place it back clean,, with no oil in it. I along with you would hate to see any damage done to the west coast a place I consider my second home and a place I plan on semi retiring to in a few more years thanks to those ugly paychecks I get. But holmes and the rest of you boys,, please and I mean please do not take what these environmental groups and one sided agenda groups say as logic and as the full truth, cause boys you damn well know its not.

Now this issue of the ships using the route you are talking about I have to admit is something that I never thought about nor was I ever made aware of it. With this info I can definitely see a problem if it is as bad of place as you say,, again I would have to talk to some local shipping people to gather the full truth on it,, and trust me I will. Its funny but personally I haven't heard any comments from the local people in the shipping industry as to the hazards involved. Are they just being quiet for the sake of jobs or are they being quiet because the risks aren't as bad as some would have us beleive ?? again I won't make that call on one sided rhetoric.. Is there a better place for this line ?? maybe,, maybe it will come out after all the debate. But one thing I do know,, we will get to find out because the line will get built one way or another we all know that..

Why don't they run the line to Vancouver?
It is a safer port and would probably cost the same(if not less).. It will cause less damage if a spill happens because people will monitor it..... see it
Running it through the wilderness were nobody looks... what if there is a leak? That is a problem.
Go have a look through Enbridge's track record

This thing is pretty much in stone. They are working on the connector 24/7 right now

that's pretty rich walleyes making fun of holmes for misspelling hospitality, try proof reading your own posts: minumilise? oh yeah and hippocrates was a greek philosopher. Who's the genius? talk about toeing the company line. what a joke.

Kinder Morgan is running a line to Vancouver which goes througth Jasper Park and there is talk of expanding it. Maybe Vancouver will come out as a NIMBY also.
I don't want to export this oil either but bigger pockets than mine are talking and I am just a tiny cog in the big wheel.

Do I want to run Alberta oil in my boat and truck? You bet.
Do I want china to run Alberta oil? No way.
When has that country done us any favors?
UN wants to take action on Syria and who vetoed it? China and Russia.
Morally bankrupt countries if you ask me.
Remember Tiananmen Square? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989
Why can't we ship the oil out to eastern Canada?
Are they not importing oil from the middle east.
Another morally bankrupt region powered buy our dollars.
GLG

Walleyes, let’s take apart and demolish your arguments one by one:-

“Boys in a perfect world in a perfect situation we would not need these lines, or wells or mines we wouldn't need these fish farms we wouldn't need these gas gusling boats we own we wouldn't need the hydro damns we wouldn't need any of it,, but I hate to be the one to break the news,, we don't live in a perfect world. All of us are dependant on fossil fuels and whether you choose to beleive it or not we will be for a very very long time. “

Thousands of people of BC are dismayed, concerned and in opposition to THIS particular proposed pipeline project, here and now. The issue of humanity’s addiction to fossil fuel and how and when we might get off it is a subject for a much wider discussion. Let’s stick to the subject in hand shall we?

“Now I may have been a bit harsh in my statement you will have to forgive me but when uninformed people start bashing an industry that I know and that I understand it gets me wound up.”

To use the term uninformed against the hundreds of environmental scientists, lawyers and lay people such as myself and others on this forum is arrogant and presumptive. Just typical of an Enbridge apologist. (No doubt you believe all the scientists of the IPCC are all “uninformed”. After all they are only climatologists and experts in their field, so what do they know?)

“Holmes you brought up a subject that I think about often and we can use it in this situation, Fish Farming.. All I know about fish farming is what I see on TV and read in the media,, and its not good. Yet every time I am out on the coast I see people working in this industry and meet people supporting it. For me to pass judgment on it just from what the media has to say sorry I can't,, not knowing what I know about how the media can spin things when it comes to the oil industry. They do not use facts they use fear mongering and only the worst of the worst to push there agenda.”

You are mixing things up. Do not confuse the media with all of the well informed, considered and science and economic based opposition based on the data. Read a few of the web site I posted! And if you want to call ensuring the enforcement of existing environmental laws by groups such as Ecojustice an “agenda” then that shows you in fact use the emotive language of the media, not of rational science logic, and debate.

“I can not give a proper objective or view nor will I on something I do not fully understand. Now,, for people from outside the oil industry trying to give me lessons on what happens and what we do to the environment and all the damage we do and how care free we are sorry it just doesn't work,, you do not know nor do you understand all that is involved in this industry. “

OMG. So only you people in the oil industry are qualified to pass judgement on the benefits and risks of this project? We accept only what the oil industry tells us because you are the high priest and keepers of all truth? How unbelievably arrogant!! Thankfully this is a democracy and the people of BC , including the First Nations have the right, nay the duty, to speak out and oppose a project that will affect and probably ruin, their ecosystems, their resources, their lifestyle, their history and their culture.

“Yes there have been mistakes made in the past big ones,, will there be mistakes made in the future ?? unfortunately yes. Look there is a certain amount of inherent risk in anything we a humans do on this earth and thats a fact. All we can do is try our best through our mistakes and through design we can try and minumilise those mistakes when they happen.”

OMG. There it goes again, that arrogance. We can just minimise the risk and fix it up if anything goes wrong. Yeah just like Exxon did with the Valdiz! And just like BP did with the Gulf blow out! We are not talking about some trivial little error. When a big rupture goes like the Kalmazoo river you guys are going to get into the wildness and clean up entire watersheds, just like that? When a super tanker breaks up on some BC reef you are going to mop it up with a broom and some sponges! Gimme a break!

“The oil industry pumps billions and billions of dollars into the Canadian economy it is the single largest contributor to this countries coffers and in turn thats good for all of us. It makes life that much easier for us all. I am not saying these companies should be given a free for all not for a minute but this attitude that,, I want it just not in my back yard has to stop.”

There you go again widening the topic into irrelevant areas like the whole oil industry. We are talking about this SPECIFIC Northern Gateway project, as proposed and as planned now. It is THIS project that makes no economic and environmental sense for the people of BC. And on the contrary, those whose lives are affected, or whose livelihoods can be destroyed by the project are the very people that should speak up because it IS in our back yard.

“ If we expect to benefit from any of it then we all have to share in the cost,,, thats life. People on the west coast enjoy one of the best lifestyles in the country with infrastructure and benefits not known in many parts of the country.. How do you all expect those benefits to be paid for,, it can't be just given to you,, you have to be part of the wage earner,, part of the rest of the country, part of the risk that the rest of us have to live with..”

Alberta does not share in the risk. Enbridge is washing it’s hands of all responsibility once the bitumen leaves Kitmat. The people of BC would have to pick up the cost and the environment and its people would suffer the consequences of a major tanker accident for decades. Alberta and Enbridge shareholders stuff their jeans with money and BC bears all the risk. This is a senseless project and many, many well-informed and educated groups, organisations (including the First Nations), and individuals will fight and are fighting, this project. And we will win!

i didnt even get through the first line without LMFAO....holmes*

quote:Englishman
Walleyes, let’s take apart and demolish your arguments one by one:-

Glad you got a laugh out of it Holmes. Sorry my response is so long but Walleye's confused, mixed up and rambling post took a while to analyse. Put it down to my English scientific education........LOL

BTW thanks for your posts.

I just had to throw a LOL in there too.....

Well demolished, English.....
beer2.gif

Thanks Englishman for putting in the time to set Walleye straight. It is very apparent that his interests revolve around his "ugly paycheck". If he could only wrap his head around the idea that keeping the oil in Canada would be much more prosperous for him, maybe he would change his opinions. OR maybe he has his retirement fund invested in Enbridge shares. Makes me sick when I read his comments. Thanks again Englishman.

One only has to look at how our large oil companies reek havoc in other Countries that are rich in oil.In those countries they have little regard for the enviorment.Speak up!- while we still have a voice or else suffer the consequences of their greed!

Back