Some recent projects

Sculpin

I have been a busy boy with my gal lately. I went to the Harbour Chandler May sale and blew quite a few bucks there like the rest of the folks lol.

I picked up a second VHF radio of the Standard Horizon likes. It's the Explorer 1600 model that is only 3.5" deep for installation purposes. I chose this model due to my new windshield wiper installation this winter. I have always wanted two separate VHF radios for monitoring, back up, etc. The unit was a refurbished one that was on sale for 104 bucks so WTH I says. I then bought a Shakespear antennae, two good ends, and some bulk cable.

Got the unit mounted.

I also picked up a new Rule 2000 pump for my cabin area. My fuel tank area is it's own sealed compartment under deck and there is a second unused compartment aft of that with a Freeman hatch. The unused compartment which is the furthest aft has a Rule 2000 pump in it already with a automatic switch.

I was uncomfortable with the cabin being such a big area without a pump, so I decided to make it happen.

The discharge fitting will be right under the gunnel here.......

I bought this Rigid Industries LED power lamp last year and never mounted it yet. I am getting around to it now. This will be nice for those late night docking encounters.

I'm going to mount it just under the radar dome.

I'll post up the finished products shortly.

Cheers,
John

neet! like the light idea and I was debatingto install my second radio- Mike from HC is still installing my electrics- will wait to see if I need a seperate antenna for second radio or if the can have a switch???

Sculpin....Nice new toys. I like how small that light is. Could it be used as a deck light or only a spot?

Racer......Just my opinion but if you are going through the bother of having the second unit.....which is a good idea then you want it to be as independent from the other one as possible. If you loose your antenna or the switch acts up then you are no further ahead. I my line of work I have seen the equipment that is shared between two devices act up as often as each unit leaving both units useless . If it is meant to be a back up then it should stand alone.....I vote for the second antenna all the way. Of course I don't have to pay for it! Just my two cents.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you back on er John!

that cabin pump was a must! Good to see you got it in there.

I know a large majority run the shakespeare antenna's and they work...but I doled out a few extra bucks ($150 total) for a Digital Antenna (the brand Digital). The range and clarity of this whip is incredible. By far the best reception of any boat or VHF I have used to date. I am very happy with it!

I will refer you to the NMEA summary notes for antenna and dome placement. From talking to folks, few know that your sensitive electronics (radar, antennas, gps ect) need proper spacing from eachother to perform at its optimum.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...MEA-Summary-Notes&highlight=antenna+placement

Great projects....have you been poking around Neck PT to thrasher?? Sounds pretty hot! I'm coming across this weekend me thinks for maaaybe an overnighter. I will be in touch!

edit: second antenna for sure! isolate each unit for the reasons mentioned above.

Good to see you back on er John!

that cabin pump was a must! Good to see you got it in there.

I know a large majority run the shakespeare antenna's and they work...but I doled out a few extra bucks ($150 total) for a Digital Antenna (the brand Digital). The range and clarity of this whip is incredible. By far the best reception of any boat or VHF I have used to date. I am very happy with it!

I will refer you to the NMEA summary notes for antenna and dome placement. From talking to folks, few know that your sensitive electronics (radar, antennas, gps ect) need proper spacing from eachother to perform at its optimum.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...MEA-Summary-Notes&highlight=antenna+placement

Great projects....have you been poking around Neck PT to thrasher?? Sounds pretty hot! I'm coming across this weekend me thinks for maaaybe an overnighter. I will be in touch!

edit: second antenna for sure! isolate each unit for the reasons mentioned above.

Thanks Nick. That pump just fits lol. The top is flush with the framing and the access hatch sits right on top.

I will read that antenna placement document for sure. I have about 6' apart right now and they are about 7' back from the radar. Should be good to go.

I haven't been out. Trying to get the gal ready to head over to da beach for the rest of the season. Give me a call on the weekend.

Cheers,
John

Sculpin....Nice new toys. I like how small that light is. Could it be used as a deck light or only a spot?

Racer......Just my opinion but if you are going through the bother of having the second unit.....which is a good idea then you want it to be as independent from the other one as possible. If you loose your antenna or the switch acts up then you are no further ahead. I my line of work I have seen the equipment that is shared between two devices act up as often as each unit leaving both units useless . If it is meant to be a back up then it should stand alone.....I vote for the second antenna all the way. Of course I don't have to pay for it! Just my two cents.

Cheers!

This one is a spot. They make the same size in a flood and a hybrid. Bullet proof lights. They are totally overbuilt.

I am going to have the two radio's completely separate like you suggested.

Well I have been organizing the shed and recently went to HD for some cleaning supplies. They had this Rigid shop vac on sale with all the accessories and 21' of hose with a wall mount for 55 bucks!!! It is a 5.0 hp vacuum to boot! I got it mounted, tried it out, and the thing ROCKS.

The best thing is I can reach the on/off switch without getting out of the boat.

The VHF I bought was a refurbished unit and was informed by a member that bought the same unit of some problems he had with the installation of his unit. I heeded his advice and the install went well.

Monitoring 16 and 88a at the same time.

The bilge pump is all installed and wired up. This big bad boy should pump out the water if I ever take a wave through a window etc. No accordion **** hose here. This is serious stuff.

Took all the floor boards out and vacuumed everything (it's amazing how much crap gets under there during a season lol). I like to scrub all the floor boards each year to clean em up etc. They are just sundeck vinyl material over plywood.

The brain box of my gal. Trim tab motor, TR1 Gladiator auto pilot pump and brain, Structure Scan hub, and an extra network hub.

Still lot's going on to maintain this gal. It never ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the second antenna mounted.

Man is it hard to get the two parallel etc. I have to work on that for sure. They will look like a twisted sister right now! I need to tweek the mounts etc. to get them looking even.

The deck has been taken over by tackle...................

The plan is to get out to the WCVI this coming weekend. I hope to take her for a spin during the week.

Cheers,
John

The mighty Sculpin looks great John. Definitely some worthwhile improvements. And yes, I did see the fire extinguisher! ;)

cheers

I am in awe John! Where does the line up begin to apply for a WCVI deck hand position?! :p

I am surprised that you did not build that vac right in to the boat - you might as well, it already has everything else ;)

johan

John, are you going to get that TR1 going for this year? Don't let the rep at the boat show down! lol

John, are you going to get that TR1 going for this year? Don't let the rep at the boat show down! lol

Yes. I want to hook it back up and use it offshore mostly. I think for tuna fishing it would be great. Especially during multiple hook ups.

I'm looking into a fresh water wash down as well. I will put a small collapsible water tank below decks through the freeman hatch. Just have to figure out if I can fit the pump above or below the raw water pump. This would be a great addition for hosing down rod's, reels, and tackle etc. on the way in.

John,
question regarding your dual radio set-up if you have them both on and key up one do you get any feedback from the other?
I have mine on a single antenna with a switch that automatically switches to the keyed up radio thus isolating the other
I like the idea of separate antennas but don't want to create feedback noise between them
Tim

John,
question regarding your dual radio set-up if you have them both on and key up one do you get any feedback from the other?
I have mine on a single antenna with a switch that automatically switches to the keyed up radio thus isolating the other
I like the idea of separate antennas but don't want to create feedback noise between them
Tim

Good question. I haven't read that document that FB posted up about antenna placement. I haven't had a chance to really give it a good test. So far so good just playing around in the shed. The new one actually is clearer. I am going to check the existing units ends etc. I hope it all works out and there is no interference.

Back