Some Old Reading.

walleyes

Crew Member
Was just going through the gear today, shining all the flashers, checking swivels and clips, replaced all line on reels you know the usual. As I was going through a drawer checking to make sure I didn't forget anything I came across this old book. Some may know the author I'm not sure, the publication is dated 1984. It's more of a U.S. based book with charts and fishing spots on the western US coast. It does touch and have regions in the northern Puget Sound regions. Even so it has a lot of general info. I get a kick out of some of the older methods used, lots still apply today, some have changed and we have moved on and learned better methods and some thoughts were just plane wrong.
I don't really know why I'm posting on the book I just thought some may find it nostalgic. The book does hold sentimental value to me as it was my fathers book, I got most of his fishing gear when he passed some years ago. The book was given to him by an old friend Cliff Hartsler (spelling?). Some of you older guys may know of Cliff he ran a charter boat out of Campbell River for years through the mid 70's to early 80's. He and my father retired around the same time my father from the lumber industry and Cliff from the charter business. Both settled the winters and most of the summer in Victoria and Port Alberni of course spending their time fishing. Cliff was a well known top rod for years, I remember as a kid when we were out on the island fishing and if Cliff had the time we would jump in his boat for a fish and I would suck up the knowledge like a sponge, the man oozed salmon knowledge. When they retired him and my father spent many days together chasing salmon and he took our fishing to a whole new level. I had the opportunity to spend a few days with my father and Cliff in a boat out of Victoria before they both passed, was some wonderful times.

Anyways sorry for the long post lol, again just thought maybe some would like it.

Attachments

• IMG_3339.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3338.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 89
I love going through my Dads old fishing gear. Life is all about memories sounds like you have some good ones.

If you had to sum up the best advise you learned from Cliff and your father when you you were able to fish with them, what would it be? I know a lot of people would be interested in listening. Not everyone gets that advantage of having personal knowledge from someone that smart and talented.

I know it must bring back some great memories thinking about those times. I loved learning from a knowledgable fisherman as a young kid. So much knowledge and so little time to take it all in.

Oly.

Yah wow best advice well that's a tough one. If I had to pick one and what was driven into me was read the water. Always pay attention to the water movement use the water movement and the structure as best you can. The movement of the water effects the bait which effects the feeding patterns of the fish. An ocean with its current and structure is no different than a river with its current and structure. Use it to your advantage don't just troll aimlessly around in the water. Those guys were always looking at the sonar, looking at the shoreline looking at the water move on the surface, I mean constantly looking for something that told them what was happening underneath.

Back