Some FN's are thinking along the line of this board on sealions

Cuba Libre

I asked permission from the writer Thomas Sewid, to post this from the Commercial Fishing Facebook Forum.

We are NOT alone wanting to get DFO off its butt, and to get after the Liberal Govt to do something meaningful to reduce the damage that the over population of sealions and seals is doing to our salmon stocks as well a SRKWs Long read-- but some good points (Btw he is a member of the Sewid clan from Alert Bay that has been in the fishing industry for many decades.)

"The herring season has come to a close and we have all seen the problem with sea lions throughout The Salish Sea. We as fishers know well the pinniped situation of seals and California sea lions needs to be addressed sooner than later, for our fin fish resource is at stake throughout the B.C. coast. It's up to all British Columbian's regardless of race that enjoy local fin fish delicacy's or are dependent upon the resource economically or culturally to push our politicians for a cull by being squeaky wheels.

Many know I have been posting about the pinniped problem in our group, for I firmly believe the problem is based on people being chicken-****. Yes, our C.S. politicians and Government Directors too damn C.S. for they know taking a stand on a seal and sea lion cull is political suicide. For that, it seems that they are passing this conforming of the uneducated-Leftie-no kill agenda onto our First Nations politicians knowing our Fisheries departments are funded via A.F.S.

We also know well of how the environmentalist industry has many coastal First Nations in their pockets and control the Native political voice. Oh I will upset some that are the puppets for the Environmental corporations, but I care not of their feelings, for I care more for our fin fish resource than their next honorarium check for attending some pointless meeting or protest.

Lest we forget those pictures our fellow fishers posted during the herring season of natures imbalance throughout the Salish Sea. Time now to look to our politicians and make them accountable for that paycheck. Time to look to fin fish based organizations and direct them to represent our interests by keeping the pressure on Governments and D.F.O. to get a cull going.

Most of all, knowing that we are dealing with the C.S. attitude based on possibly losing their careers and positions because of the uneducated-no-kill-leftie agenda, we must all be squeaky wheels, for squeaky wheels get greased my late uncle Capt. Bobby Sewid used to say.

Time for we First Nations to communicate with our Chiefs, elected Chief & Councils, Aboriginal Fisheries Organizations, Resource Organizations such as Nanwakolas Council & Kwakiutl District Council to not forget we know there's a pinniped over population and our food, social and ceremonial but most of all economical interests are at stake.

Yes we all need to contact our Provincial and Federal politicians, departments and ministries to ask what is to be done? Time for their accountability in regards to our fin fish resource by we all being squeaky wheels.

Now there's dock chatter that cholera was found on the shores of The Salish Sea and it looks like the over population of the pinnipeds is to blame?

Then again, maybe we say the hell with politicians that are too C.S. or just fearful of losing that honorarium check pipeline? Maybe we just take some bullets with a few guns and our status cards and head out into our traditional territories to harvest pinnipeds for food, social and ceremonial purposes? Hides are good for drums I hear? Besides, under federal Law we have that right to cull, but we need to utilize the harvested pinnipeds.

I know over this Easter weekend I will be writing a letter to my First Nations organizations that represent my children and I's interests, to ask what they are doing to correct this unbalance in our seas? I am only one voice, but hopefully it can get others doing as well as thinking?

Most of all, knowing that we are dealing with the C.S. attitude based on possibly losing their careers and positions because of the uneducated-no-kill-leftie agenda, we must all be squeaky wheels, for squeaky wheels get greased my late uncle Bobby used to say around his galley table to his crew.

Borrowed two of your pictures Ross Holkestad "

Last edited:
Shoot my butt; a crowd like that needs explosives. On the serious side there was a fair amount of drama/whining down here in WA when the first Sea Lions were wacked a few years back. Now nobody seems to notice; it's even announced in the news.

A great many FN's are starting to take notice of the problem pinniped over-population is reaping upon our salmon. Like those of us who are on the water and witness this every day, they are more and more convinced that action needs to be taken.

Back