sockeyes, china creek

C

cod commander

I'm going up to china creek at the end of may for some sockeyes. I hear thats the best time to get em'. Does anyone know if they run any kind of spisific pattern (like pinks big run every even year) or do they just run every year.

C squared

Are there other campsites near china creek or along the inlet in which a guy can camp and launch a boat? I can only make it up on a last minute basis, so i can't book a spot at china camsite this year. Any sugestions would greatly help. Thanks

ya theres a Camp site, its pritty good. it doesnt really matter what the camp site is like anyway, your there for the fish! hahah.

The other campground with a ramp is across the inlet and down from China Creek, at McTush Creek - any backroad map can show you how to access. It too gets filled up rather fast during the peak of the sox fiasco. Either have to anchor out your rig, or haul it daily. Bonus is you're right on top of some of the better fishing locales.
Poet Nook has a good ramp, docks, etc, and is further down the inlet towards Bamfield. Crappy road, but nice place with a fair amount of room - optional cabin rentals. Could always dump the boat in in Port and run it down, while having your partner bring the wheeled rig in so as to avoid the trailer bounce.
Another option is to drop your boat in at Port or China Creek, and camp from the boat at Arden Creek, just back towards town from McTush as tad. No ramp, but again, a road into it allows for someone to bring the truck over. Anchoring out again the way to go. This site is much smaller, about 4 spots is all, so much quieter. Again, fills up quick.
This year's run is expected to at least match last year's, so good numbers all round (until/unless the seiners start vacumning again!).
The local FN has already begun the river netting, and have caught more than a handful of sox to date (as well as more than a few discarded steelhead kelts - collateral damage in their minds).
SOON!

Cheers,
Nog

Back