Sockeye hootchies

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Oly1, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Oly1

Oly1 Active Member

Looking at the Sockeye dummy flasher thread, I have seen many different ideas that people use for their hootchie hook setups. Some I have never really heard about before. What is everyone's go to Sockeye setup behind the flasher.

Oly

scotth likes this.
  2. persistent

persistent Member

In the past my go to has been the mp 68 with a single black hook on a swivel with varying leader lengths.

3. fishin_magician

fishin_magician Well-Known Member

I think the Natives have the best Sockeye Tackle....a Status Card and a Long net.

Whitebuck likes this.
  4. wayne marwood

wayne marwood Member

It is all ed a square hook

5. wayne marwood

wayne marwood Member

6. ryanb

ryanb Active Member

From flasher:

24 inch 40lb leader, Swivel buried in the hootch, hot pink hootch, Single 3/0 or 4/0 siwash.

7. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

Mp15 single 6/0 siwash

chipstealer likes this.
  8. persistent

persistent Member

And does everyone trim the length down so the tenicles are flush with the single hook? I have also heard that it can help to remove every second tenticle

Barnacle Bill likes this.
  9. Oly1

Oly1 Active Member

I see some, from the dummy flasher thread that looks like they are making their own homemade type hootchie contraption.( page 2 bottom two pictures) What exactly is that Dogbreath? Looks like a fine piece of ingenuity there.

Oly

10. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

That's a homemade Googly Eyed Wild Thing/easy to make easy to fish and works for Springs as well even with a shorter leader.

Funny taking the pic I noticed I no longer have any that are all Pink everything is Pink/Glo no matter they all work.

Those are wooden beads for whatever reason don't think they work any better but plastic beads don't take a magic marker colouring very well and the wooden ones do.

20171113_091636[1].jpg 20171113_091655[1].jpg

This is the guy in Port Hardy who originated them AFAIK http://www.lures.org/

hippaisland, porlier pass and Oly1 like this.
  11. JuandeOne

JuandeOne Active Member

One of the “s’s“ of sockeye fishing is ‘sparse’-meaning sparse red. Only a few red/pink strands is required. My go to hootchie is half blue, half pink which provides the same effect.

Tockeyetalmon likes this.
  12. Tockeyetalmon

Tockeyetalmon Member

S parse
    S low
    S turns.
    I never use a hoochie with an eye. And I always rip off half the legs

13. hippaisland

hippaisland Active Member

Love all the sockeye ingenuity, loved seeing an older(wiser) fellow in a small 14' tinny in 2014 with a homemade "slide" off the back of his boat into the water and he just kept sliding those babies up the ramp and into the boat. Hopefully next falls a good one!