sockeye fishing in port alberni

Was wondering if anybody has been out for sockeye in the canal. Thanks for the info

I'm also curious if the sockeye have arrived in any numbers. Hoping to hit them up next weekend June 2nd. Any info would be appreciated.

June 12th to 15th is when it starts to heat up! I don't go up there before that.
Dave

I went for a test run down the canal in the boat, just to test out the motor after the tune up. After a couple of hours of tooling around near china creek we saw only the one fish jump. Save the gas and wait a few weeks would be my suggestion.

depends on the commercial guys IMO. But if they dont clean it up there should be lots of sox around at that time. in 2010 we were slaying well into august

around when does the sockeye fishing usually finish in Alberni? I'm there for a week with family in mid July, but expect it's over by then?

Now that is a loaded question indeed.

They are finished in very short order in the PA Canal, as soon as the Commercial Net Fleet is unleashed on them.
If they don't get at them they could likely keep the fishery going possibly through July??? or longer??? who knows, cause the commercial fleet usuall mops them all up very efficiently and quickly.:(

Beat me to it Lorne:p. What he said^^^^above^^^^

I saw "fresh" sockeye for sale in Superstore the other day. I'm assuming they originated from Alberni, can't justify the price tho... Gawdawful 5-7 lb fish selling for about 70 bucks!

I saw "fresh" sockeye for sale in Superstore the other day. I'm assuming they originated from Alberni, can't justify the price tho... Gawdawful 5-7 lb fish selling for about 70 bucks!

Just get em off the fn on the side of the road.

Joking!

It's no joke.........most of the white people I know who don't fish,get their salmon from Alberni FN.

A friend of mine bought a dozen frozen ones and asked me if I would smoke them for her. I went and picked them up, they were frozen.... WITH THE GUTS STILL IN THEM!!

Sorry, we have gotten off topic. The question was has anybody been out lately and how was the fishing looking. ;)

Does anyone know if and when they are opening commercial sockeye fishing on port Alberti inlet. Heading to bamfield next week and hope that I don't have to dodge 200 nets on the way in or out? Do they normally give a couple week notice for the opening or is it a last minute thing?

I tried my socks that way last year, this year i will do the same. It doesnt look like the sockeye have schooled up quite yet. But im spending the weekend in the sound so hopefully I will have a better report when I get back

Lance

Back