Sockeye dummy flashers

one thing I do not do is put dummies between or above rods, I will run 1 or 2 below on each rigger. when you get into them it's just too much fiddle facking resetting lines, not worth it imho. I've found the xmas tree pattern works very well most of the time red green red green on one side green red green red on the other. some days greens are better some the reds. the kone zones also work well off the ball. I do use the green blue mist and green onions occasionally with success also. if they are there in numbers they all work and sometimes you don't need dummies at all. kind of miss the old days in the 80's and 90's it was good for 3 out of the 4 years with 2 of them spectacular.

one thing I do not do is put dummies between or above rods, I will run 1 or 2 below on each rigger. when you get into them it's just too much fiddle facking resetting lines, not worth it imho. I've found the xmas tree pattern works very well most of the time red green red green on one side green red green red on the other. some days greens are better some the reds. the kone zones also work well off the ball. I do use the green blue mist and green onions occasionally with success also. if they are there in numbers they all work and sometimes you don't need dummies at all. kind of miss the old days in the 80's and 90's it was good for 3 out of the 4 years with 2 of them spectacular.

Yes, I remember those years. I remember there being commercial seine and troll openings and the fish were everywhere. I remember there being 40 commercial boats trolling off the North Arm and hooking quads of Sox in among them.

At the rate we are going, Area 29 May be closed entirely next year and we’ll all be in Area 28 hoping a school or fish or two cross the line.

This future of this game is grim.

Area 29....offshore we all came closer than it has ever been to a total closure in 2017.

In Vancouver we may find ourselves having to go elsewhere from July16-September 12 to retain a salmon.

the more flashers the better. Get the fish on your gear and get them to follow. I used to do the 8-10 ft spacing but then |I got to 3-4' spacing on the dummies and put the gear in tighter than I ever have.

While the choice of hoochie is important, any one with the glow head tends to work best locally off the Fraser. The MGB183GH or MGB192GH works great. The blue glow heads are great too. Hooks 9510 in 5/0 work really well. I experimented and put spoons down and they worked great too....I found the closer you can get your gear without tangling in a sport situation makes a BIG difference---when there are more fish around what you are using doesn't matter.

I found my best success came when I had 5-6 flashers per downrigger (including lures)....hauling then in faster than I could get the down
I make up a line for sox of 200 lb nylon-snap on the lower end for CB,bunjie-6'-knot-2"- knot (snap for flasher snaps between knots)-8' 2knots-8' 2 knots-8' 2 knots-6' tied to DR line that will stop DR. From CB -flasher-flasher-flasher and hook-flasher-flasher and hook- DR line, quick to setup and retrieve.

I make up a line for sox of 200 lb nylon-snap on the lower end for CB,bunjie-6'-knot-2"- knot (snap for flasher snaps between knots)-8' 2knots-8' 2 knots-8' 2 knots-6' tied to DR line that will stop DR. From CB -flasher-flasher-flasher and hook-flasher-flasher and hook- DR line, quick to setup and retrieve.
Yes. No thinking required!

Seems no one has bought up the Purple Haze flasher. Wasn't this all the rage with an Mp15 hootchie a cycle ago?

Can't really visualize what you mean. Any chance of a diagram?

Lots of talk about a run that will be closed down due to adults that never made it back the the spawning grounds...

If you'd like one of those Daisy Chain setups but price was an issue this operation will sell you blank blades and you can add tape/swivels to custom make your own

ClearBlade

http://shortbusflasherscom.ipage.com/store/page4.html

I saw the very early commercial sockeye gear that was used and it was large pink or orange hootchies and chrome Ab and Al flashers. Biggest change in terms of success was to troll slower.
Game changers were red Hotspots, shorter leaders and smaller pink hootchies. Now we have tons of great gear and we just hope for enough fish to get a fishery.

It would great if there is a fishery for socks on the ECVI side...we will have to wait and see what come of this SRKW situation....

It would great if there is a fishery for socks on the ECVI side...we will have to wait and see what come of this SRKW situation....
SRKW shouldn't be an issue as they don't typically target sockeye and don't spend that much time in the mouth of the Fraser area anyways

the Fraser river mouth is include in the SWKW area's that could be closed as the spring salmon are there... we should see a clear pic of what is being purposed in the next 2 weeks or so... we all need to be watching this some what process... it will impact all of us in the lower GS.... we could see 25% or more area & seasonal closers coming to a theatre near u...

Like I said..this is a developing process & over the next couple months we will see how it all rolls out...in the end I'm sure most of you folks like myself want to help out the Killer whales the best most logical way we can..as they are near and dear to most... :)

Back