So Let’s Talk About It, Halibut 2013

Same old ****

Sportfishermen fighting amongst themselves instead of uniting against the REAL problem of govt allocation.

You guys are so gullible

Same old ****

Sportfishermen fighting amongst themselves instead of uniting against the REAL problem of govt allocation.

You guys are so gullible

Correct it is the same old ****,

Guides and lodges trying to hide under the Sportfishing umberrella when its most convienient for them.

Whats wrong with having your own allocation?

Cheers to a LONG offseason

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being a critic but just noticing that I have seen similar statements before.
Cheers.
I think if what I wrote was a rant, there would be way more to it all than what my writen observations have been. There is a real opportunity for the public to work together here. Everyone needs to start working in the same direction and it starts by knowing what everyone wants. Then working on part two and then part three. Irregardless, I can only guess that this group is not ready to increase their focuss and move foreward quite yet.

What's wrong with that, Lorne? By cutting back guides you actually restrict the so often mentioned broad canadian public from the resource. Because besides the locals on the coast the vast majority of canadians have access to the halibut through guides only, so long they do want to catch it themselves. It makes in no way sense trying to divide out the guides from the self-guided fishermen. I am not sure why this is so hard to understand for some!? And I am not a guide and never was by the way!

It's all A-Ok! I am not offended, nor upset. I am certainly not hurt by the lack of effort from within this group to move foreword either. Fortunately this website only represents a minute portion of the anglers who use the resource. However this website is an excellent venue whereby its members could find focus in order to seed change, it's too bad that not many can see the opportunity that is placed before them as of yet. The big thing is to stop focusing on what you don't want, and start working towards what you do want, in unison.

Can you tell us who you are mr lolly pop?

L:eek:rne

What's wrong with that, Lorne? By cutting back guides you actually restrict the so often mentioned broad canadian public from the resource. Because besides the locals on the coast the vast majority of canadians have access to the halibut through guides only, so long they do want to catch it themselves. It makes in no way sense trying to divide out the guides from the self-guided fishermen. I am not sure why this is so hard to understand for some!? And I am not a guide and never was by the way!

Stop making sense, Chris.

You will never stop Lorne in his crusade against the guides. His mind has been made up. He doesn't give a crap about people that don't have a boat and want to use a guide to help him catch the halibut he is entitled to as a Canadian citizen

You will never stop Lorne in his crusade against the guides. His mind has been made up. He doesn't give a crap about people that don't have a boat and want to use a guide to help him catch the halibut he is entitled to as a Canadian citizen

Man give your head a shake. Lorne is for real unlike your sense of reality. Why do you attack him on every thread don't you have somthing better to do? He is a sportsman unlike your self I guess and your jelous.. :)

How would your agrument hold up if i told you every halibut i caught last year was guided?

I am curious to why you think guides would be "cut back" if they were allocated seperately? Is it because they would have to be or there would be such out rage within the rec community once everyone sees the numbers of what guides and outfitters actually take out of the small 15% all us canadians have as a TAC? Could you imagine in a year of low abundence with a TAC of 1.2 million lbs if a few hundred G/O were allocated 800,000lbs while the rest of Canada was allocated 400,000? Sound fimilar? Making a select few lots of money off of a canadian resource while the rest of Canada suffers? What a crime that would be. But thats exactly what is happening, except you dont see it because they are grouped under the "rec sector".

Guys like Bob wright, the owners of QCL, etc, are just as much as slipper skipper as Jimmy pattison. And in the end your buddy" average joe angler" is the only one that suffers under your current model.

Well except Fishtofino, you dont catch many fish anyway, so im sure you dont dent the TAC too bad. Its the guides that come from out of town and fish out of your port you have to watch!

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't we focus on one issue at a time. I think everyone here can agree that the root of this problem is not enough TAC allocated to the sports fishing sector. Focusing on increasing this TAC would the best plan of action.

Either it's pressuring government to allocate more to the rec sector or finding a way of purchasing back some permanent tac from the commercials. Which direction do you support and which do you think is most likely to succeed?

Why don't we focus on one issue at a time. I think everyone here can agree that the root of this problem is not enough TAC allocated to the sports fishing sector. Focusing on increasing this TAC would the best plan of action.

Either it's pressuring government to allocate more to the rec sector or finding a way of purchasing back some permanent tac from the commercials. Which direction do you support and which do you think is most likely to succeed?

the SFAB will not pressure anyone to do anything. THat is not thier role. So while we all agree, getting more TAC is not what the SFA will do. ITs about working with what we have.

Lorne

Some of you guys just don't get it. Divide the recreational community between guides and non-guides and you will see a very different future in the overall fishery. Do you really want an East Coast commercial style fishery and everything that goes with that? By the way Lorne, where do you think the quota would come from if we split the recreational fishery? Certainly not from the current commercial allocation, that is for sure. Not to mention, the guests I have on my boat are recreational fishermen just like you catching their own personal quota. Not everyone has a boat, but at least they have access to their fishery by being able to hire one. Way better to have the entire recreational fishery working together speaking with one unified voice.

Some of you guys just don't get it. Divide the recreational community between guides and non-guides and you will see a very different future in the overall fishery. Do you really want an East Coast commercial style fishery and everything that goes with that? By the way Lorne, where do you think the quota would come from if we split the recreational fishery? Certainly not from the current commercial allocation, that is for sure. Not to mention, the guests I have on my boat are recreational fishermen just like you catching their own personal quota. Not everyone has a boat, but at least they have access to their fishery by being able to hire one. Way better to have the entire recreational fishery working together speaking with one unified voice.

Oh i dont know, not really my problem, im not you guys.

Maybe you could pay for it like the other commercial guys? maybe $60 a lb like they do? Or maybe you could lease it for market value and add a surcharge. Lots of way to skin the cat sir But, the free ride while the rest of canada suffers,y kinda sucks for us.
The onl reason we have to make concessions, the only reason we are shut down early, is because guides and outfitters eat up all our TAC.
thats it thats all

Lorne

Oh i dont know, not really my problem, im not you guys.

Maybe you could pay for it like the other commercial guys? maybe $60 a lb like they do? Or maybe you could lease it for market value and add a surcharge. Lots of way to skin the cat sir But, the free ride while the rest of canada suffers,y kinda sucks for us.
The onl reason we have to make concessions, the only reason we are shut down early, is because guides and outfitters eat up all our TAC.
thats it thats all

Lorne

Yes because our margins allow for that like the commies. Unlike them our revenue for 95% of the operators would not allow for that. And buy then charge surcharge? To fellow Canadians who have every right to the halibut like you? That's the worst plan I've ever heard.

This is the same sh*t show as the halibut threat last year Searun..LOL ... :) I sure hope we see some of you guys at the meeting and hear what you have to say threw your SFAC- meeting minutes in your local area's... cheers

Yes because our margins allow for that like the commies. Unlike them our revenue for 95% of the operators would not allow for that. And buy then charge surcharge? To fellow Canadians who have every right to the halibut like you? That's the worst plan I've ever heard.

I agree its a terrible plan. Just being the devils advocate. Doesnt mean im an advocate!

Lorne

Doubt it. Some of them are all about complaining and less about actually getting involved trying to find constructive and realistic solutions. What some don't also get is a lot of the really talentent rec sector representatives involved in these processes come from the guide sector. Without the guides working to help the recreational fishery there would be a lot lost. Worse, can you imagine being up against those same highly talented people in an allocation debate...would not be pretty. But that is also the kind of damage I was trying to get at would happen if you divide the rec sector along guide v non-guide lines. Not a wise use of time and effort to try to reason with the unreasonable.

Doubt it. Some of them are all about complaining and less about actually getting involved trying to find constructive and realistic solutions. What some don't also get is a lot of the really talentent rec sector representatives involved in these processes come from the guide sector. Without the guides working to help the recreational fishery there would be a lot lost. Worse, can you imagine being up against those same highly talented people in an allocation debate...would not be pretty. But that is also the kind of damage I was trying to get at would happen if you divide the rec sector along guide v non-guide lines. Not a wise use of time and effort to try to reason with the unreasonable.

The only reason the talented reps come from the guide sector, is because alot of the reps are guides! That is the problem... Hopefully that will change if more people get involved. Seems to be happening in our local, hope it happens everywhere. Holy cow its getting tough to really hold back.... but im trying my best out of respect for a few.
Given the same access to info that those questionably highly talented reps have, I would have zero probelm debating anyone. Frick i make you guys look retarded in between commericals of the World Series and i dont know anything!

Lorne

Yup.. I hear you .....I believe this thread was to hear some suggestions on how best to share what limited amount of allocation we have amoung all of us ......and the same couple people turn in to the same sh*t show....I agree with your statement searun....just one thing missing the BCWF has also been working very hard for all of us... I believe the last time I sat at a SFAB meeting I saw at least 6 plus BCWF reps. at the table..hats off to them also.... :)

Back