Smoking 1+ year old salmon

This has likely been asked before but I have some pieces of chinook from April and May last year and want to know if there is a preferred way to smoke older salmon. I imagine turning it into candy or lox would be the best way to prevent bland or dry results with the older fish. Any suggestions?

I smoke my frozen up to a year later and no problems. Sometimes a bit of freezer burn but just cut it out.
24 hour dry marinade. Brown sugar, salt, maple syrup and spices. Comes out great.

I just hot smoked a chinook side that has been residing in the freezer for longer than 1 year, I too had to prune off a bit of freezer burn. Tastes great in my opinion, in fact I just got in from work and wolfed back a couple of chunks, yum.

Canning is another option for older fillets as well particularly if you add some flavour to your canning jars (Newman's own Italian dressing works great).

I regularly cold smoke my older salmon as well as all the sugar and salt does a pretty heavy number on the flesh anyhow. Always turns out great.

It's not fertilizer.

I've smoked fish for people that's been in their freezer for over a year and it's fine. Fresh is obviously preferred but.... Smoke it up, give it a try. You've got nothing to lose.

Pickled salmon from older fish is another option. We love it , there is a great recipe on here in the food secction

Pickled salmon from older fish is another option. We love it , there is a great recipe on here in the food secction

Back