Smoker chips.... Whats your favourite???

jeffywestcoast

Just curious to see what other people are using in their smoker i have tried all sorts and am back to just using 2 pans of Alder for my smoked salmon... Seem the big run of whites are what we are getting out front.. I find they are best smoked... smoke em if ya got em!
c88fed36830cca669876b7224c6e57c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Alder the best as well.
I found the whites are almost too oily for smoking.
smoked and canned is great.

Alder,apple,cherry,pecan,mesquite...endless tastebud possibilities...:)

I use what I can get-usually alder but tried maple,cherry apple mesquite-all good -don't mind any of them although the apple tended to give a darker colour to the fish.

Right on. Didn't really like the fruit chips, going to stick with the Alder then [emoji41]

Here Jeff I posted this awhile back but may be useful again
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...nderful. Beef, turkey, chicken, cheeses.

Well made a bit of a mistake thankfully it was only two racks, was in a hurry n just grabbed that bag of Alder.. Unfortunately i grabbed chunks instead of chips and after twelve hours in the big chief , my fish pieces look more like kingsford charcoal...i kinda agree with r.s. craven on this one ... Whites are harder to smoke...
One thing is for sure.. My next batch has proper labels going on[emoji12]
b4f0b90fc9243a4fd206b2813024b60f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use apple and alder and doesn't matter if it white or red..Turns out pretty much same I find. I also majorly cut down salt by half of what I used to do based on health concerns (had to cut back salt)....I use 4 cups sugar to half cup salt now for dry brine + garlic... That's just how I do it and it turns out a little sweeter less salty. I mostly use Alder..I just use the apple in the first hour...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use apple and alder and doesn't matter if it white or red..Turns out pretty much same I find. I also majorly cut down salt by half of what I used to do based on health concerns (had to cut back salt)...

Hey SV, you probably already know but look for the lowest sodium level kosher salt.....it'll cost a bit more but definitely worth it in flavour and health
GnB

Hey Jeffy,
I noticed you catch your fish, brine them and throw 'em in the smoker.

Do you guys not think it is important to freeze the fish first to kill any potential worms or whatever? I always freeze first. I know the brine is a great preservative.

Not wanting to hijack....just curious about freezing vs not freezing before smoking.

Well made a bit of a mistake thankfully it was only two racks, was in a hurry n just grabbed that bag of Alder.. Unfortunately i grabbed chunks instead of chips and after twelve hours in the big chief , my fish pieces look more like kingsford charcoal...i kinda agree with r.s. craven on this one ... Whites are harder to smoke...
One thing is for sure.. My next batch has proper labels going on[emoji12]
b4f0b90fc9243a4fd206b2813024b60f.jpg

I mostly brine fresh-only do frozen if something has come up and I'm rushed. Never had a problem and I've been smoking them for 40 years!

I use apple and alder and doesn't matter if it white or red..Turns out pretty much same I find. I also majorly cut down salt by half of what I used to do based on health concerns (had to cut back salt)...

Hey SV, you probably already know but look for the lowest sodium level kosher salt.....it'll cost a bit more but definitely worth it in flavour and health
GnB

Yeah thanks thats what I use...

haven't been smoking fish long but I have never had a problem.. , pretty sure people mainly freeze before smoking just to build up the fish to do a big batch..

Back