Smoked cheese

Love it, bud have been making my own in my smoker for a while now! Smoke any cheese you want!

Is that the smoked Cheese Costco carries? Can't recall the name but if it is the same, it is awesome. Have never smoked Cheese but have thought about it. I was thinking they must cold smoke it. Would you do this in the winter with a long stove pipe angled away to dissipate the heat and keep it from melting the butter fat in the cheese?

Hot smoke the cheese in your smoker, But immerse the cheese in a deep oven/baking tin in an ice bath with just the top of the cheese exposed to the smoke. Change your ice bath regularly, and flip which side of cheese is exposed to the smoke.
Good Luck!

Contrary to what I posted above, I have actually had some pretty good success with my big chief and this mans method. Just have to do the smoking on a cool day with a good gap at the top of the door to keep the temps down.

I find after the smoking process that Big Shank showed above, I like to vacuum pack and place in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. I find the taste mellows out and is not as strong.

Mike

I find after the smoking process that Big Shank showed above, I like to vacuum pack and place in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. I find the taste mellows out and is not as strong.

Mike

Agree this is critical.

1. cold smoke for few hours
2. use a less pungent smoke such as apple or alder
3. Vacuum pack, place in fridge and let flavor mellow for minimum 3 weeks. Otherwise flavor can be acrid and sooty.

I use my trusty chip mixture of 2/3 alder, 1/3 applewood for pretty much everything I smoke in the big chief. For cheese it usually only takes 1 pan of chips for 2-2.5 hours of smoking time. Trout is 2 pans for 5-6 hours, salmon is 3 pans for 7-8 hours. I did 20lbs of ham once over 4 pans, and 12 hours. Never been disappointed. I've never tried flavor mellowing it for three weeks before though, usually only around 4-5 days. Stuff is usually gone within two weeks!

I smoke my salmon (with good results) but after reading this post I had to give cheese a try, so today 3 weeks of waiting are gone and now so is the cheese.
OMG what a success even the wife loved it, cant wait to get the next round in the smoker
Thanks for the tips

cheers

Back