Small Craft Warning Pedder Bay area

B

Bravefart

Intended to go fishing at Pedder Bay the past week. Decided against it as there were small craft warning with westerly winds 15 to 25 knots in effect, posted all week.
Looking at my charts of the area the Pedder Bay area itself,looks like it would be protected from the westerlies. The question is should I bother making the trip over, or should I stay at home cursing the weather.
Any local knowledge will be appreciated

Getting Antsy in Ladner
Davie

Oops posted in the wrong Forum would the moderator please move to the general Forum
Thanks Davie

Pedder bay is protected on a west wind, we fished it wed night
with a west at 20 knots, calm in the bay.
Tried to poke our nose around the corner, nasty !
Whitecaps and very lumpy
on the fishing end of it, 2 pinks, 1 wild coho & 1 undersize spring.

Good question Bravefart and thanks for the responce R.S.
I too was wondering that.
Also wondering about how it is within Becher Bay when the wind is up.
I was going to trailer the boat down to Pedder/Cheanuh today but the wind forecasts - small craft warnings - suggested that today would not be a good day down there. Phoned Pedder Bay at 8:00 AM today and they gave a current reading of 15 with the expectation of the wind rising to 20-25 in the afternoon.
Seems like a small craft warning is the normal forecast for Juan de Fuca.

I always check BigWaveDave.ca look at wind predictions for Gordons Beach and you can also check camerea 2 at Gordons Beach.Beecher Bay is ok....most times, but its always tempting to go around the corner,how big is your boat?I hate getting tossed around in the slop,best to put your feet up and have a cool one when the wind comes up.DAN

I have a 16' Arima. It will handle a lot more than I. That said, I'm like you. I hate being tossed about in snotty chop. Pretty much everything I've seen/heard lately says the activity is out and west of Becher Bay or out at the tidelines.
I do look at Big Wave Dave, but in combination with Environment Canada's marine forecast. Dave's is usually the more optimistic.

Appreciate all the responses be over there Monday or Tuesday for a few days. Hope the winds die down.

Davie

Back