Sky rocketing fuel prices

I shared a post on Facebook this morning to not buy any fuel from either Esso or Shell...you can fight back. If their pumps sit idle for too long they will drop the price.
While i dislike most if not all of the oil companies i am wondering what is the story behind targeting these 2 companies?

I'd like to boycott Chevron now that they have made it such a pain in the butt to fill up with fleet cards

The Facebook post said 2 of the largest companies so punish them and support the smaller independents, CO-Ops etc. I didn 't pick them but for an effort like this work everyone just has to buy in. If we can't agree on which stations to avoid to help ourselves then just bend over and take it.

The Facebook post said 2 of the largest companies so punish them and support the smaller independents, CO-Ops etc. I didn 't pick them but for an effort like this work everyone just has to buy in. If we can't agree on which stations to avoid to help ourselves then just bend over and take it.

I posted this a few pages back.

It has been proven that consumer lead boycotts such as targeting gas stations or a certain oil companies have proven never to sustain themselves. For every person boycotting a business, there are hundreds more that will use the service daily. Oil companies have big, deep pockets and can ride out such consumer boycotts. Try it and see how many family members, friends, coworkers etc will join on your crusade for a month and perhaps years, if needed.

I posted this a few pages back.

It has been proven that consumer lead boycotts such as targeting gas stations or a certain oil companies have proven never to sustain themselves. For every person boycotting a business, there are hundreds more that will use the service daily. Oil companies have big, deep pockets and can ride out such consumer boycotts. Try it and see how many family members, friends, coworkers etc will join on your crusade for a month and perhaps years, if needed.
Only if they support higher prices or have relatives who work for those stations otherwise a no brainer to support the boycott.

If anyone wants to place a bulk order, maybe we can bring out an excess of Alberta gas next week in exchange for some bottom fish pointers? My local Costco is only at $1.194. Since BC ferries limits the quantities of fuel I can transport, I may be limited to a 25L gerry can it will be first come first served! :p :D

Prairie did you hear about BC Ferries new policy? BC cars and passengers get on for $75.95 each way. Alberta cars and passengers get on for the same price but to get off the Island its $350.95!!! LOL

A tip for the ferry is trim your motors down before you get to the window. save your self the $6.50/foot. @57.50 for 20ft standard vehicle fare it is only 2.85/ft but go over length its 6.50/ft

If anyone wants to place a bulk order, maybe we can bring out an excess of Alberta gas next week in exchange for some bottom fish pointers? My local Costco is only at $1.194. Since BC ferries limits the quantities of fuel I can transport, I may be limited to a 25L gerry can it will be first come first served! :p :D
BC Ferries has a limit, but if your extra fuel is hidden away in your cuddy cabin or under a tarp in the back of your vehicle (PU with canopy e.g.) you can always forget to tell them about it at the toll booth.

Only if they support higher prices or have relatives who work for those stations otherwise a no brainer to support the boycott.

So what oil company(s) and gas stations is the FB group boycotting? Got a link to the group? Like to see how their planned boycott plays out after a few months and what affect (if any) it had.

And no I don't work for any oil company or in the oil / gas industry at all.

Prairie did you hear about BC Ferries new policy? BC cars and passengers get on for $75.95 each way. Alberta cars and passengers get on for the same price but to get off the Island its $350.95!!! LOL
Be better from my perspective, having family in Alberta, if it was $350.95 to get on the Island and only $75.95 to leave . Lol. Actually they are always welcome.

I honestly hope fuel goes up another $1.00/L... Until the people in the lower mainland realize there’s a lot of people being affected by holding up pipelines (that realistically pose no significant threat to anything) I say we stick the screws to them. Shut the pipeline down COMPLETELY for a week. See how it feels when it affects the ‘average’ people of BC.

You do realize that with more pipelines the price of gas in Alberta will go up after all that’s the point of them to increase gas and oil prices in Alberta.

Right now Alberta is sitting on a glut of oil and gas ke ping prices low their.

alberta needs to get off the dirty oil compensation package. since refining costs too much, and we cant afford to do it, it obviously is bad business, why cant we the west meaning alberta and bc, join the global fuel market? Alberta might have to pay some provincial sales tax? boo hoo.. i was supportive of pipelines that lead to our own refining at first, but know that i have read more about how it is so hard to refine, i cant believe we even can market this crap as gasoline. oh wait, we cant... without Canadian tax payer money supporting it. a big ol case of jerkin off the dog to feed the cat.

You do realize that with more pipelines the price of gas in Alberta will go up after all that’s the point of them to increase gas and oil prices in Alberta.

Right now Alberta is sitting on a glut of oil and gas ke ping prices low their.

In the long term it would also be a driving force in increasing the price of fuel to the average BC'er, to the extent we currently get a significant chunk of our fuel from Alberta, as the people of BC and Alberta would be competing more with Asia for the cost of fuel. You can see why BC'ers are conflicted. In exchange for being good neighbors to our friends to the east, we get to accept the risks and costs associated with the expanded pipeline and increased tanker traffic and get to pay higher fuel costs once it is all in place because of the increased competition, without the offsetting benefit to our economy that Alberta would get.

On the other hand BC has been happy to benefit from and to let the people of Alberta accept the heavy environmental damage and costs, like effects on health, in order to do all that extensive hydro carbon extraction without having to screw up our own province tapping much of our own oil and gas reserves, although the oil would be cleaner than Alberta's Tar Sands. I am not sure people know BC has oil and gas reserves both on land and off shore that are going undeveloped, I suspect because of environmental concerns.

I am happy to leave it in the ground and under the sea as in a 100 years or so our children's children's children may well want it for things that have not even been invented yet such as new plastics and medications. As some have indicated fuel is the least valuable use for it. If we ever really needed it however, I think there is enough to keep BC fuel self sufficient for a long time although we currently lack the refining capacity to be self reliant. Long term our transportation needs will increasingly be met by electricity and BC has world class potential to develop additional hydro, wind, tidal and even some geothermal power, which one day we may be exporting to Alberta, assuming they are not protesting new power lines, after all, they do cause cancer if you live close to them.

Last edited:
Back