Sky rocketing fuel prices

I’m not sure we disagree.

Sounds like your saying that we have a lack of refineries that would provide the competition to bring down prices.

When one brand's station is always the first to increase the price in your town, it's pretty obvious they are the price leader. When you are operating a gas station and that price leader calls you to tell you they put fuel prices up, then calls your district manager and complains that you haven't put it up ? Stinks like price fixing to me and I had heated discussions with the district manager over it. I hated running a gas station and it was a great day when my contract was up and I told them I had other plans for my property and they could take their pumps. I still support the stations that sold my brand as I know they only get 1.5 to 2 cents a litre no matter the posted price but, I would have to be on fumes and no other stations around before I would ever buy fuel from that "price leader"

Steve, maybe you can help me. What’s the retail margin at the pump? Generally speaking?

I’m having trouble believing that retail profits are pushing the price around too much. The bulk of the cost as I see it, that gets passed onto customers, is the price of the commodity itself, which is traded like any other commodity. A gas station may move a few cents above what they have to buy for, but that’s not the driver of price.

Steve, maybe you can help me. What’s the retail margin at the pump? Generally speaking?

I’m having trouble believing that retail profits are pushing the price around too much. The bulk of the cost as I see it, that gets passed onto customers, is the price of the commodity itself, which is traded like any other commodity. A gas station may move a few cents above what they have to buy for, but that’s not the driver of price.

I was a consigned fuel operator. I made 2 cents a litre, no matter what the price

So I’m just trying to wrap my head around where you think the manipulation is coming from then. Not trying to be argumentative.

I know the price discovery mechanism for gasoline itself, but it sounds like you are saying the retail side is in cahoots?

So I’m just trying to wrap my head around where you think the manipulation is coming from then. Not trying to be argumentative.

I know the price discovery mechanism for gasoline itself, but it sounds like you are saying the retail side is in cahoots?

My thoughts are that the price manipulation is coming from the various retailer head offices as most of the fuel stations are corporate owned. The few remaining independents will have supply contracts and nobody wants to start a gas war

Did you see any data? Or was it broad opinion of what the writer is thinking of the oil landscape as a whole.

I’m not going to get into this any further as these types of articles will be agreed upon by the people who want to think that way. Nothing I say will persuade that.

Don't derail the thread into a broad spectrum discussion or fight about oil, the environment, the pipeline etc. Been down that road more than once and it always ends up in a political quagmire and gets shutdown.

This year I have decided to keep all my receipts for Boat gas,kicker gas, car gas.

I will be calculated my gas gas cost per pound of fish, Will have to estimate released fish but it will be fun to see!!

I think a lot of modern producers are integrated. They own from well head to pump. They have to deliver a certain return, if they can’t make their returns on the raw barrel they’ll make it at the pump. The number of people needed to keep their mouths shut on a fixing conspiracy without thinking about a greedy rogue station owner or politician make that scenario an unlikely one to buy into.
Sure doesn't explain why in the U.S. you can find a price difference of 50 cents a gallon or more at two stations within a block.

Back