Shovel Nose Louie

Mako 22

Is this a shovel nose?

1_28595a9728eeed401abf8dc1781afaff.jpg

Or this? Looks like a Tomic but ad says Louie

mXqDDmJONAhZpe44lQ9KHwA.jpg

Maybe this one?

images

I just bought the below plugs on ebay, any shovels in the group? I plan on rigging with bead chain. Is there a better way?

(Do not know how that east coast striped bass lure wound up with a bunch of Salmon plugs!)

I usually fish Tomics but wanted to try some Luckie Louie's just for fun.

Thanks!

$_57.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tomic is really a copy of the Lucky Louie with WAY more selection and styled for the west coast. Tomic has become a terrific Local company with huge success. I'm getting older but have always used Lucky Louie's ....... Yes I would call it a shovel nose but I'm not certain that is KNOWN as a shovel nose . I have seen Luckys in a few different colours but no where near the selection of Tomics.

The Tomic is really a copy of the Lucky Louie with WAY more selection and styled for the west coast. Tomic has become a terrific Local company with huge success. I'm getting older but have always used Lucky Louie's ....... Yes I would call it a shovel nose but I'm not certain that is KNOWN as a shovel nose . I have seen Luckys in a few different colours but no where near the selection of Tomics.

Are you saying the Tomic looking Louie is a shovel nose?

In the first and third pictures are Lucky Louise if they made by wood , they called shovel nose IMO

In the second picture is Tomic Plug

In 4th picture, 3 tomic , 10 - 11 Lucky Louise , other few are J plug or Lyman . one is unknown

Both are working great for West Coast.

"Shovel Nose Louie
Is this a shovel nose?"

Guys in Campbell River would give you their first born (just a sayin) to get that first plug, that certainly looks like a Shovel Nose Lucky Louie
A favorite plug with the rowboat guides in Tyee Pool!!!

First one certainly looks like my shovel-nose pearl pink Louie and it's managed two Tyee for my rod-holders, both in 2012.

It's also a good example of why it was the guides who were esteemed in the Tyee Pool and the anglers became known as "rod-holders".

Double barbed treble hook rigs were all the rage way back and it took a really bad angler to lose a fish once it was hooked, so the guides got most of the credit for successes.

Today, with single barbless hooks there is generally more skill required of the angler than was the case then.

There are guys here who have bags full of plugs and recently having old plugs re-painted has gained popularity and some of those plugs are absolutely gorgeous, and presumably their action doesn't change from a new coat of paint.

I'd certainly buy an original plug like the one shown and then hassle Troy Winslow at the Tyee clubhouse until he makes me another one of his hook/swivel/chain deals he does so well.

My visiting crew is out right now fishing the early flood off the end of the spit...............................and for some reason my RV smells like a locker-room. LOL

Take care.

That's awesome Dave, we certainly fished a lure similar to the first one last Saturday night.

In the first and third pictures are Lucky Louise if they made by wood , they called shovel nose IMO

In the second picture is Tomic Plug

In 4th picture, 3 tomic , 10 - 11 Lucky Louise , other few are J plug or Lyman . one is unknown

Both are working great for West Coast.

Yea I did not think the "tomic looking"one was a Louie. Looks like my Tomics (I have about 200).

Been using Tomics here in the Port Angeles area since 1979. Good lures.

I'd certainly buy an original plug like the one shown and then hassle Troy Winslow at the Tyee clubhouse until he makes me another one of his hook/swivel/chain deals he does so well.

Take care.

I would love to see a photo this setup.

The 20 plugs in the big photo will be in my hands Friday, I will take a close look for wood.

Most of them look to be plastic.

Yea I did not think the "tomic looking"one was a Louie. Looks like my Tomics (I have about 200).

Been using Tomics here in the Port Angeles area since 1979. Good lures.

Edit: Went back and looked at the photos, guess what:

$_57.JPG

The front cut and the hook insert look different from the Tomic: Old style flat tomic insert is thinner.

$_57.JPG

Very Interesting!

Take care.

Maybe similar to this but with a welded ring instead of split? I have the bronze for for rings and silver solder equipment.

$_57.JPG

I'm having real problems trying to make posts for some reason but here we go.

This is what we use mostly and the trick is to find the bead swivels with the small eyes on each end so they will fit through the hole in the plug.

That way when the fish strikes the hook pulls away from the plug so it's a bit easier to keep the fish hooked compared to a spoon, wherein the hook is a part of the spoon which makes it easier to lose the fish.
This also allows one to break off the plug for whatever reason and it can then float to the surface to be retrieved.
Some plugs are highly treasured.

Hope this helps a bit.

Take care

I'm having real problems trying to make posts for some reason but here we go.

This is what we use mostly and the trick is to find the bead swivels with the small eyes on each end so they will fit through the hole in the plug.

That way when the fish strikes the hook pulls away from the plug so it's a bit easier to keep the fish hooked compared to a spoon, wherein the hook is a part of the spoon which makes it easier to lose the fish.
This also allows one to break off the plug for whatever reason and it can then float to the surface to be retrieved.
Some plugs are highly treasured.

Hope this helps a bit.

Take care

Thanks, exactly what I was thinking. I have seem bead chains with the eyelets squeezed a bit to allow passage through the plug.

I have a 5 of the old Lucky louie's pink pearls four plastic with a box and one old wooden one in a very old box. I would consider selling them or trading them. I always thought I would have a chance to fish them but it has not happened yet.

no shovels there!!!!!!

Well, if so, show me a photo of a real shovel Louie.

As I am from south of the "Border" I am not very familiar with Louie's and wish to know "The Rest Of The Story" as Paul Harvey put it.

Or am I sensing a bit of jest?

All in fun, thanks!

Well, if so, show me a photo of a real shovel Louie.
As I am from south of the "Border" I am not very familiar with Louie's and wish to know "The Rest Of The Story" as Paul Harvey put it.
Or am I sensing a bit of jest?
All in fun, thanks!

No Jesting

Shovel Nose Louis are wood and have a big deep nose, which gives it great action at slow trolling speeds, thus the name Shovel Nose
Luck Louie's were also made with regular noses, and in later years out of plastic...so most of what you find are not the treasured Shovel noses.

No Jesting

Shovel Nose Louis are wood and have a big deep nose, which gives it great action at slow trolling speeds, thus the name Shovel Nose
Luck Louie's were also made with regular noses, and in later years out of plastic...so most of what you find are not the treasured Shovel noses.

This I presume:

$_57.JPG

Back