Shearwater/Denny Island

BigBadBrad

Hey guys just looking for some advice on a Shearwater/Denny island fishing trip. I'm in a 17.5ft double eagle with a brand new reliable 115hp mercury. Myself and a couple buddies are wanting to plan a trip to shearwater next summer (2018). We are hoping to drive to bella coola and then drive the boat to shearwater and fish for 4-5 days.

Has anyone done this before? How is the run from bella coola to denny island? It looks like it should be fairly sheltered and doable in a small boat? How are the waters around shearwater? Can you find sheltered areas for smaller boats to fish?

Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks gents

Hey guys just looking for some advice on a Shearwater/Denny island fishing trip. I'm in a 17.5ft double eagle with a brand new reliable 115hp mercury. Myself and a couple buddies are wanting to plan a trip to shearwater next summer (2018). We are hoping to drive to bella coola and then drive the boat to shearwater and fish for 4-5 days.

Has anyone done this before? How is the run from bella coola to denny island? It looks like it should be fairly sheltered and doable in a small boat? How are the waters around shearwater? Can you find sheltered areas for smaller boats to fish?

Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks gents

We have done this several times, we stay at the cannery which is 2 miles from Bella coola marina, & then leave at first light, water is calm cruise at 30 mph in shearwater in 3 hours , beautiful trip. Waters around Denny island are protected from the wind and waves, the boats from the lodge I think are only 16 footers

just got back from there.
i keep the boat in Hardy so cannot comment on your inside passage ride to Shearwater except to say it is fairly well protected.
lots of protected and semi protected places to fish: Cultus, Idol, Christenson, Ivory and even out and around into Milbanke on decent days - Cheany 1 and 2, the gap, and Cape Mark are all doable on good days - even the Mushroom for Halibut. less than a mile from Cape Mark
you might want Bill Haymonds excellent book on Science of Salmon Fishing - he outlines many of the places I mention.
good luck be safe !!!!
suggest some overnight lodging in or around Shearwater else you will have 8 ish hours of running
fuel dock in shearwater cloes for an hour at noon ish
fuel in new Bella Bella also

Be aware that the run from Bella Coola out should likely be done first thing in the morning as there often is a stiff westerly blowing up into Bella Coola in the afternoons. It can be downright miserable around Mesachie Nose running out particularly if the tide is ebbing.

Reactions: 777
Been at shearwater once by a small ferry from port hardy. This place is a beauty! Surrounding with islands and wilderness. Water s calm Inside! Bella Coola gravel road s quite steep in the mountains. Yikes. Lol...enjoy the trip

Anymore advice gents?? Still debating...I would leave first light from Bella coola in my 17.5ft double eagle with very reliable power. The water looks pretty sheltered all the way to Bella Bella. Obviously if the forecast is for 20-30kn winds I would hold off. Maybe I'm under estimating???

chreers

Brad

Been to Shearwater/Bella Bella many times in a commercial boat. Lots of beautiful scenery out that way. In looking at Navionics, there are a number of places to hide along the way. 67 miles. Never been to Bella Coola. Made it to Nimpo Lake by car once. Part of Highway 20 is/was gravel. I'd be more worried about my rig, trailer and brakes going down the hill to Bella Coola.

I've done the trip from Bella Coola to Shearwater a dozen times in a 32ft towing a 17.5ft. We usually go in late June or early July and have never been turned around because of the weather....in the big boat. If I was in the 17 loaded with supplies for a week I would have been turned around several times. The stretch of the Burke Channel from Labouchere Channel to South Bentinck is usually where it gets nasty, especially in the afternoons. The Dean Channel has always been good with this summer being the only exception. Once in Shearwater, you shouldn't have any problems in a 17. Beautiful trip but plan for weather delays if you're driving a loaded 17 from Bella Coola. Also bring extra trailer tires and bearings for the drive into Bella Coola and take your time going down the hill. No shortage of folks getting brakes, bearings and tires repaired in Bella Coola.

Back