SFBC Forum Members Derby 2014

Admin

Admin
Staff member
After much conversation and effort put in by the Comox Valley group, spearheaded by Fish Assassin and GLG, and with input from many others who will be acknowledged in due time, it was decided to make this years event open to more areas around the Province in a summer long event. We have created a special thread in the Forum Topics page (http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26747-SFBC-Derby-2014) where you can read all the details for this years event. This is also where you will find updates that may occur regarding the Derby as well as the donations/prizes as they become available. Although you will not be able to talk about the Derby in that thread, as we want to keep it easy to find for the updates, you are of course welcome to use this thread to discuss and proceed with the good will banter associated with this event.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Fishwhisperer and all who helped him for the efforts put forward in trying to bring the event to Nanaimo. Although you weren't able to make it happen, it wasn't for a lack of trying and your hearts were in the right place.

As with any event like this, lots of volunteers will be needed. If you can offer anything in the way of help, please contact the organizers. Your contribution will be most appreciated.

Lastly, I hope you will find this format interesting and that we can create an annual event that will benefit many Salmon related initiatives for years to come. Be safe, have a great year on the water and we'll see you in the winners circle!

Brian

I really need to thank GLG for his help and patience while trying to put this together, as well as Big Green Machine, Jencourt, and my father and sister in-law for helping in cleaning this up, editing and making it look as good as it does. Had you seen some of my first drafts it would have scared you. :)

With the support and suggestions from many SFBC members from Victoria to Port Hardy and the Lower Mainland it was felt that we had all the bases covered.

It was great to see donations and volunteers coming in and stepping up prior to this even being finalized and hope it doesn't stop. I think this is going to be a great event and an excellent way to raise money for salmon enhancement.

Any questions or donations please email sfbcderby2014@gmail.com

Good Luck,

Man awesome job guys! The derby layout and the final BBQ sounds like something that just about anyone could participate in. Hats off.
Cheers!

Good Recovery! Happy to see you got it going. Salmon Enhancement needs all the support it can get.

Wow wee,this is a strange derby indeed!
Its a good idea in general,and nice to see Little River getting some love!

But...I have caught three fish over 40 pounds in my life fishing Vancouver Island.Now take a place like Prince Rupert,40 and 50's are common place on any givin day.
So how is a guy fishing the Salish Sea supposed to compete?

Maybe Victoria to Cape Caution would make more sense for fishing boundary's???

Wow wee,this is a strange derby indeed!
Its a good idea in general,and nice to see Little River getting some love!

But...I have caught three fish over 40 pounds in my life fishing Vancouver Island.Now take a place like Prince Rupert,40 and 50's are common place on any givin day.
So how is a guy fishing the Salish Sea supposed to compete?

Maybe Victoria to Cape Caution would make more sense for fishing boundary's???
Maybe something that should be looked at-not that familiar with the Rupert fishery.

this is really a great format for a Derby, I like the part where it is passed on from year to year to another salmon enhancement project.. Good Job Guys, will they take cheque or money order for entry fee's? or even E-transfer perhaps?

Better watch it Spring Fever next Crabby Chris will be afraid to lose to a fish caught in Port Hardy, Winter Harbour, Nootka, Barkley Sound, and Renfrew.

Crabby needs to realize this is a fun family derby raising money for salmon enhancement for years to come. By his post I would think he is saying if your your in it to win it book with someone else.

Crabby maybe rather then tring to find problems with this derby and posting them online cause of your issues with certain organizers you can send your questions or suggestions to sfbcderby2014@gmail.com to be looked at for future derby's This derby is about the fish not your personal issues.

Jeff entries are to be mailed to....

SFBC Salmon Derby
Unit 6-2401 Cliffe Ave.
Box #113
Courtenay, BC
V9N2L5

Check or money order is fine. Just make it out to LRES.

Thanks for your support,

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess time will tell to see where the winning fish comes from.
I see crabbys point.
Maybe he was wrong to post it on here but I don't think he was getting personal.
Either way Little river will get my money because it is for a good cause.

This is a great idea and happy you guys took the time to put something together. It is also a great way to get more people involved in the site in potentially bring more great info to all of us.

As for some areas having a better chance of getting big fish versus other. Maybe, but where do you draw the line. 64 caught up here in June a few years back, two in the 50's last year. 60+ caught in in CR last summer, I saw a 72 in Telegraph Cove about 10 years ago when I worked there. This big beauties are everywhere on the coast.

The derby is about getting people out fishing, families, friends, newbies, all for a great cause. If winning and walking with big prizes for entering is the goal, this is not the derby to enter.

I am looking forward to participating and will be trying to encourage all that I know to sign up and do the same.

Great Job guys.

WOW WEE!!!! It was just a question....very sensitive FA... why you always on the attack ?

Better watch it Spring Fever next Crabby Chris will be afraid to lose to a fish caught in Port Hardy, Winter Harbour, Nootka, Barkley Sound, and Renfrew.

Crabby needs to realize this is a fun family derby raising money for salmon enhancement for years to come. By his post I would think he is saying if your your in it to win it book with someone else.

Crabby maybe rather then tring to find problems with this derby and posting them online cause of your issues with certain organizers you can send your questions or suggestions to sfbcderby2014@gmail.com to be looked at for future derby's This derby is about the fish not your personal issues.

Jeff entries are to be mailed to....

SFBC Salmon Derby
Unit 6-2401 Cliffe Ave.
Box #113
Courtenay, BC
V9N2L5

Check or money order is fine. Just make it out to LRES.

Thanks for your support,

funny that size of fish is brought up. I see no where in the actual derby posting that says biggest fish wins....see excerpt here:

"Awards

Top 3 Salmon to receive an award , and of course bragging rights"

...now when I actually read that, I said, sweet, my beautiful, not a scale missing 15lb Vancouver fish still has a chance to win! LOL Top 3 salmon, does that necessarily mean biggest salmon?
The numbers of large fish on the north and central coast is of course higher than the southern coast, but there are far less anglers on the forum from the north and central coast than the southern. And as Bearcove mentioned, how big was that slab that came into the Tyee Club this year? I'd say the 64 pound Campbell River fish would take top honours over the 65 pound Rivers Inlet Fish (Though RI is void of this contest).

Either way, it makes for every day on the water a derby day for everyone who enters, be it your first trip out for the year, or your last...no matter your location, you could boat the winner. Should make for an interesting event for sure!

•Salmon has to be weighed in at a lodge, fishing store or another derby the same day as being caught and*be documented by the lodge, store or derby hosts in writing as well as photo...

So is there going to be a list of stores and lodges who will be doing the offical weighing???

I would be more inclined to enter if we didnt have to bring it to a store to weigh it in,but if that's the way it's gotta be,I understand

FB thanks for the laugh..... Fixed :) Thank You, This is why I wanted to get you a copy of this prior to posting.

Alberni...... PNT in Coombs has volunteered to be a weigh station. If you are unable to locate a place to weigh your catch, stop in and see the guys they have some new gear for you. :)

I tried to cover every circumstance that could arise when putting this derby on paper. The entire outline of this derby was sent out to more then 20 very well known SFBC members from one end of this island to the other and included lower mainland and interior members prior to this being posted. These people were asked to look for fails and mistakes. I thank them all for their help. Every issue was looked at and discussed.

The weigh in verification topic was discussed......

Should we just take someone's word for it, or should we do our best to get some sort of verification is what had to be decided........ It was decided verification was needed.

Rather then telling you where you had to take your fish which we thought would be a major inconvenience, it was decided that we'd leave that to you.

In order to cover the the BC coast 100's if not 1000's of stores and marinas would have needed to of been contacted and agreed to be a weigh in facility.

Even if we had put a list together of 100's or 1000's of stores and marinas in BC together people would say it would be to hard to get to those specific weigh in locations.

Now.....

Please remember that this is the first year and some things may need to be changed or reworded. I started this on my own and it has not been an easy task. You have no idea the amount of hours I have put into making this happen and I think she's coming together just the way it was envisioned. GLG jumped on board to help and has been very helpful and will continue be be a huge asset as this moves forward. Many other members and businesses have also stepped up and got involved, volunteered not only their time but they have given and arranged for some awesome donations (many more to be posted)......Thank You

Its going to be impossible to satisfy everyone and cater to everyone's needs. But I believe we are doing our best and will continue to do so.

If you see any issues please email sfbcderby2014@gmail.com

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back