Seward Meat Fishery

fish4all

We are sitting in Seward here today after a beautiful ferry ride up from Prince Rupert. We had a little extra time so I decided to take a walk down to where the charter boats land with their guests. I must admit I was impressed by the setup they had at the dock. A nice dock with rows of dressing tables set up right in front of a business that packages the fish for the guests. 3 or 4 hired knives to cut the fish up for the land lubbers and off they go.

That's about where the happy feelings ended. As I walked around the tables checking things out it was embarrassing how the fish had been handled. The guides were obviously too lazy or incompetent to bleed the fish. There was no ice anywhere in site and when I put my hand on a nice 40lb fish it was warm to the touch. What a waste. They were dressing the fish and throwing away a large portion of it because of all the blood that had gotten into the flesh. To make matters worse there we’re guests on cell phones bragging about how much fish they had caught, “every one limited out and we had to let go as much as we brought in, even the nice yellow ones (yellow eye)”. If this is the way the sports group is going to look after the resource then I would have to say cut the limits to zero.

What my wife and I saw up here was a total lack of respect for a resource that is already being over exploited.[xx(][xx(]

quote:If this is the way the sports group is going to look after the resource then I would have to say cut the limits to zero.

Don't generalize the entire sports group based on one outfits poor methods. I know a seiner that illegally kept an 85 lb spring a few years back and I'm sure thats not the only one, another seiner that frequently hauls his load in before sorting because its easier, killing many fish, and a crabber who sometimes sets long lines for halibut and uses logs as floats so fisheries won't notice, and what about that halibut video we saw - tonnes of dead halibut wasted! However, I don't think the entire commercial fleet is terrible and should be shut down. As much as what that outfit is doing is bad, be careful not to generalize.

I think a better way to divide people is not commercial or sports, but maybe responsible people who look after the resource and the opposite. Both types of people are in each industry.

Hey CJ 2022 is not that far off and I wonder if we can get them (the government) to make those wafers with natural halibut flavour from the 88% of the catch we are barred from accessing?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

quote:Originally posted by Governor

Hey CJ 2022 is not that far off and I wonder if we can get them (the government) to make those wafers with natural halibut flavour from the 88% of the catch we are barred from accessing?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

gov you wouldn't need to access the other 88% if the other commercial sports interests were forced to. commercial fishers 88%, commercial sports 7.2% average angler 4.8%. heck we would have our 2 daily limits back in no time.

Governor

That flavour would be a bit more generically fishy, as the hali's belong to the commercials.

There would be lots of carp & suckers left for the rest of us though... let's say "Soylent Off-White", or maybe 'beige'. Imagine it's halibut... The Toronto marketers will tell you "brings back that fresh light halibut flavour... Chicken of the Sea!"- brand glop.

The worst thing that ever happened in my school days was reading 1984, and thinking... Naw! the 85% of my family that went off to fight for freedom of: people, fairness, thought, real democracy and opportunity and died doing so, didn't die for that to happen!

How dumb could I have been?... Punative sophist enviro lies & levies, Pork-barrel back room exclusive deals & allocation-frauds piled one on another.. Bankers.. Monsanto.. Dupont.. Patenting Human cells and Conceptual thought.. Gene manipulation.. Government is God, In God We Trust.. Save the banks, Screw the people.. The Hippocratic Oath now the hypocracy of bank accounts.. Teachers of children using children as weapons.. Spam is "customer service".. We need only computers to pass wisdom & knowlege, our elders drain resources and should 'volunteer' for the Golden Train.. Thought & language control.. Constant video supervision.. Impossibly-shallow public thinking.. Public Service morphed into tyranny. A real-life Animal Farm. Yup 2022 is close.. 2012 is closer still.. 1984 is already here, alive and prospering mightily at our expense.

My poor children. I taught them charity results from the generosity of those who succeeded at prosperity and is a privilege to receive, not a right to demand. I taught them to be critical, balanced thinkers, independent, save & provide for themselves, use a dictionary, read books, write, spell and speak words, be nice and be fair to all but leave & ignore those you cannot regard highly, learn to cook well. How increasingly-isolated they are becomming as society increasingly drains their efforts and joy of life & work for programs they cannot justify abusing as do so many in our society.

I should have taught them to become bankers, poli-sci-lawyers or government employees.

I'll apologize first for wandering about in that post. It was late. I've just spent the last 14 days, 12-18 hr/day calling and moving a lot of every single clients' assets to cash and was a bit glazed. I came on the site to "break my glaze" & re-focus, and wandered badly.

Calmsea... I have no idea what cocs is, nor really care. I don't know what any of those 3 & 4 letter webbie acronyms mean anyways

I'll just assume it's derogatory & accept the barb as deserved. Sorry folks for the bleary-eyed and unfocussed tirade.

Cheers

Back