Selling your catch !!

63stingray

Are you allowed to sell your prawns or crabs on Craigslist ,also kinda find it odd.tjey they are selling prawns out of season and makes me think maybe these are coming from raided traps ?

i would assume those are coming through a fn fishery... sometimes sold to one person and then re-sold. barkley sound needs a break from this as i am sure other areas also need it to stop.

First question-- Are they frozen. 2nd-- is the guy a commercial fisherman with a licence ? No law against a commercial fisherman selling his catch. If frozen they are most probably from 2017.

First question-- Are they frozen. 2nd-- is the guy a commercial fisherman with a licence ? No law against a commercial fisherman selling his catch. If frozen they are most probably from 2017.

Commercial fisherman can only sell from their licenced boat. Like they have set up at Steveston and False Creek. They are not allowed to process the fish other than dressing. Otherwise it has to be sold from or processed through an inspected facility.

Not sure if it's a commercial boat didn't say in the adds,I was just thinking though these could be people that tend to borrow or raid traps lol and also thought it was odd that it's March and I know the commercial boats are dwindling so I don't think they would have them for sale still also usually sold Asap!!

Chances are if they are advertising on CL it is not a legitimate commercial operation.
When I see these sort of things, I secretly hope the purchaser gets an extra side of salmonella to go with their black market seafood.

As much as the commies get bagged on this forum, these black market operations, FN and otherwise, are the biggest problem regarding the resource.
Jimmy P and the slipper skippers are also a big problem, but they are very visible in what they do at least.

Commercial fisherman can only sell from their licenced boat. Like they have set up at Steveston and False Creek. They are not allowed to process the fish other than dressing. Otherwise it has to be sold from or processed through an inspected facility.

GS-- not correct.... If the fisherman has a commercial license and a VENDORS license he can legally sell from his home freezer.

Maybe the rules changed in the last ten years since I did it.
I know the processing rules have not.
The vendor's licence is necessary to sell at the Fishermen's Wharves.
The home would also need a business license from the appropriate municipality.
It is a regulatory nightmare to sell fish off vessel or to do any processing.
I stand by my bottom line, this does not pass the smell test.

I guess I will have to take that to the fishermen that sells frozen shrimp, prawns and tuna and salmon to the public out of his home just south of Courtenay. He is a local fixture and is known for fair pricing and a good product.

I have no idea if the CL posting is legit-- but people better be sure before making assertions that he is doing something illegal.

Update--- found out the fisherman selling from his house in Royston retired in 2017. His son has the business but is not selling anything at this time.

Last edited:
Some halibut for sale on used Victoria today “caught this morning.”

I’m not saying it’s illegal what they are doing here, but the authorities have been notified. They can look into it further.

I fish for the love of it. Not to sell it for money! The commercial sector already has enough of the quota, let’s not comprimise the little we have left with B.S. like this!

Last edited:
Back