Searun Cutthroat in sooke basin

Karma-Kazi

Can anyone tell me when the searun cutthroat will show up in the sooke basin and any other info for targeting them on the fly? I hear it is good fun!

Any Info would be appreciated

-Steve

I myself am no to sure about the sooke basin for cutties but i can tell ya the inner harbor in victoria is a very good place to look for sea rund they are a blast to catch on the fly rod but when i first started to fidh for them i used a trout rod with bobber and worm and what a blast not huge but there alwats around on a incomming high tide is best!

CK

I also fish the cuttys in the inner harbor normally from May to August. I'm a flyfisher myself, but it can be quit tuff to cast off the tight backs in my spot, so I like the 1/4oz crocs and my casting rod. I had a couple of them last season that were 20inch plus. If your going to use flys, floating line with a stickleback imitation. Remember the stickleback are small, I'd say anything from a size 10 or smaller should do the trick. If the cuttys are there you'll know, the water starts to boil when there feeding on the sticklebacks.
Good luck

Thanks for the info guys! i hope to get into a few this year, i was told that from march to may it is on fire in the sooke Basin as they feen of the salmon fry leaving the rivers. I guess i will have to try all over.

-Steve

constantsguy the inner harbour is killer right through to sept try west bay one of my fav spots and when using a sinking line those lil flat fish (sole) or flounder bite quite aggressivly my biggest sea run came from fishing in front of the loural pt inn a 22 inch monster i thought for sure it was a small coho the way it fought! Even up in the gorge is killer in a rising tide near a few cr mouths by the old tressel! They travel everywhere not to many bad spots to fish for them if you know where to look! Oh and one more thing this thread should have been posted in the saltwater section of the reports right? Tight lines!

CK

I live near Esquimalt Lagoon. Do you know if one can fish for Sea going cutties there? And can one use small spinners like Panther Martins to catch them? Steve.

The Sooke Basin can be very good when the salmon fry (mostly chum fry) out migrate. Try the Sooke River estuary and access the beach area from Billings Spit or access the beach from the Oyster Farm and walk down towards the river mouth. The best way is to take your 12' tin boat and 10 horse outboard and cruise around the shore, any points of land and creek mouths and look for signs of bait fish, they're pretty obvious to see when the water is calmish. Beats walking the beaches and you can cover lots of water. When you see a likely looking spot try to determine which direction the fish are moving and run ahead of them 100', then beach the boat and get out and wade. Floating line, 8-9' leader, slender minnow pattern and cast parallel or 45 degrees to shore in about 2-4' of water
I've seen cutties feeding at Esquimalt Lagoon too. Fish the beach side of the outlet on a falling tide and the lagoon side on an incoming tide, look for the herons, they'll show you where to fish.
B.

Billings spit can be awesome :DCaught a 7 pound searun down there last year.

They're not hard to catch... you just have to find them..

Steve,Go below the Bilston cr. falls..big ebbs in the spring are your best bet..but remember it's catch n release -BTW pinch the barbs!

Hey lippy what's with all the interlopers on here? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
The board was cleaned up since Steve asked 3 years ago.... New guy Brady bumped the old thread.

If the weather holds ill drop off the power washer Friday.... Tomorrow looks like a Cutty night

OOps in that case the run in bilston was wiped out a couple of years back!
10-4 big shooter:cool: tanks - GO CANUCKS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent you a pm

Back