Seabeam Lodge

There seems to be a lot of expertise on Barkley Sound fishing on this forum. I noticed Twin Strike received some feedback regarding an operation in Nootka sound, I was hoping to get some similar feedback in Barkley Sound for the Seabeam, as I assume several members are familiar with it. It is currently for sale, and I am in the early stages of looking in to a possible purchase. It is a older facility that has been in operation for a long time. What I am looking for is feedback on:
1. The state of repair of the lodge
2. Your impressions of the lodge, what do you like, dislike
3. Are the costs to stay there appropriate
4. How could it be improved from your perspective
5. Any other insights you may have
I don't own it at this point , so any constructive criticisms of it will not be taken personally, they will be welcomed! Thank you for any feedback!

Problem is you will never get a permit to rebuild it. You could however repair it one board at a time until it’s a brand new building.

To the OP, it sounds like you have never been there before. You really need to see it in person. Everything needs repair. Soft floors everywhere. But like I said, it’s perfect for me. It’s one hell of a place

like any building on the coast, it needs constant upkeep.. they last owners have always done work on it too maintain it, in saying that it could use some piling and stringer work under the main lodge. docks are in great shape. one thing i would be concerned with is a new transfer of ownership might kick in a septic system approval for which it does not have. poo pipes go straight into grappler. check this because if it is a new bylaw (commercial), it may have a large bearing on the final outcome.
it is a great place, great cash inflow during the busy months.

my hide out is right around the corner from it..

Thanks so much for the feedback so far! I have gone by it but never in it, that's why I thought a good place to start would be the expertise and experience of this forum. I have also had a few PMs and the comments do have a common theme. It is in desperate need of a new roof, probably several years ago, and there are a lot of rotten floors and general issues with maintenance. The issues of building permits on an old building on stilts needs to be considered (maybe thats why there hasnt been the updates it needs) , and the also the Septic system (or lack of one) Trophy wife brings up. I would have thought raw sewage going into Grappler inlet would have been stopped long ago. The positive is the location, and docks, and at the price point it stays very busy.

You would need to check the pilings that hold up the buildings that could be the expensive part. If you have to drive new pilings etc could get pricey. I believe that due to the way fishing regulations are going especially in Washington state you would be in a great location to service those potential customers. I also think the business plan could be tweeked to give you way more revenue 30.00 per person per night seems quite cheap to me. Just do your due diligence and things work out.

The septic issues are not accurate. All effluent goes through a treatment plant before being disposed of. There is a permit for this that requires yearly sampling and is all up to date.

Some attention to responding booking requests over the off season should be considered lol

I think a person needs to spend some time there and get a feel for the atmosphere and fisherman comradery that fills the place in order to really understand it. The place definitely needs maintenance and regular upkeep being a 69 year old building/business on the west coast.. That said it's turnkey and the owners are only selling because it's time to fish more and work less.

Think about the amount of money one person can make on empty beer cans. The place pays for itself!

my bad , didnt know that the pipe had been upgraded since the murray days.

I have been going there for over 20 years, and love the place. Last year was the first year I was ever disappointed. The young guy doing the cleaning did a very poor job, cleaning our Atco cabin prior to our arrivial. The community bathroom often ran out of toilet paper, and one of the toilets always seemed to be plugged. The barbecue did not work very well and the trash near it was not picked up on a regular basis.

The boat ran horribly with a maximum speed of about 15 miles, the driver seat and been ripped out and kept falling off. The mooring dock was also in need of repair with boards falling off.

On the positive side, it is the best deal in the world for people wanting the opportunity to fish the amazing Barkley Sound. Seaton is one of the nicest people I have ever met, and I understand his need to do something else. The office is very well stocked with bait, ice and lures and quite often good fishing advice. The fish cleaning areas and freezers are an awesome touch and make it very convenient for anglers staying extend periods of time. Outside of the occasional jerk, the folks that use the Seabeam, some of which are over thirty years, are always fun to hang out with.

The place does need quite a bit of work and maintenance to get it back up to a decent stage. Like someone said, maintaining places on the west coast if very difficult just as finding a reliable staff to clean the rooms and boats. I would hate to see the Seabeam go away, as it is so very special. I booked another place for the first time in year, as I thought it might sell and I didn't want to get caught without lodging.

Good luck with your endeavors.

I take multiple trips there every year and have for the last 10. It is a great location and the overall 'vibe' of the place is exactly what I am looking for when I go on a fishing trip to the west coast.

Can some things be improved, for sure (as in ANY location) but all in all I always leave happy! Seems like a great business model for most of the guys I fish with/around.

i love the seabeam.
value priced, i dont want to spend 100$+ a night per person.
grab your bait, salt ice and tackle, and "add it to my tab please" you feel like a welcome guest, not just another person paying to stay there
love that you get the reign of the place. bbq's, kitchen, showers, and a bunk to sleep in.
its rustic and feels like your buddies cabin - perfect
i dislike getting nickel and dime'd when im at a other places.... 5$ for internet, 1$ to freeze a salmon. etc

might have some maintenance issues but thats part of the character!

Back