Sea Swirl Striper

B

blackswirl

Hello I own a 2009 Striper and have had some problems. Fibreglass defects and the haul side,wear the down-rigger mounts are incredibly weak and flimsy. I am wondering how other glass boats of this style fare in comparison like WELLCRAFT, GRADY or PURSUIT - even the once famous TROPHY and its fibreglass issues as I am looking to trade mine in and upgrade to a 23ft boat with better quality and workmanship THANX.

quote:Originally posted by blackswirl

Hello I own a 2009 Striper and have had some problems. Fibreglass defects and the haul side,wear the down-rigger mounts are incredibly weak and flimsy. I am wondering how other glass boats of this style fare in comparison like WELLCRAFT, GRADY or PURSUIT - even the once famous TROPHY and its fibreglass issues as I am looking to trade mine in and upgrade to a 23ft boat with better quality and workmanship THANX.

I would talk with some of the other Striper owners here: www.seastriper.com -- great resource for the owners by the owners of Stripers.

TenMile
<'((((><

Hey blackswirl , Seaswirl come with a hull warranty. If you are unhappy with the workmanship see the dealer you got it from. Is this a boat that came from the states?

My Boat

P1040204.jpg

Mine too has suffered from the same gunnel issues from tourque of the downriggers and even just people sitting on them. I am frustrated with having Sherwood just fill and polish the area. They even tried reinforcing the area will fill and screws. No go. Crack keeps reapperaing. I am going to insist that they grind out the bedding joint and lay a couple units of glass. They can fill fare and resurface and that should take care of any other issues.

Rest assured this is not a warranty issue. Been there done that. Seaswirl is supposed to have a great warranty ( BS ) they deeked out of any responsibility with my 10 year because of a technicality and a transfer that did not take place in the prescribed 10 days.[xx(]

I was not told about this transfer requirement and therefore I am out of luck on a new boat. Very unhappy with how they almost enjoy the fact that they do not have to fullfill my expectations as a customer because of a glitch. This is after all their product no?

I have found that warranty programs are not worth the paper they are written on. The best companies out there will take care of their customers and service their products regardless of who the current owner is. ( sorry about my rant )

The boat otherwise is awsome . I love it and it excells at everything I ask of her.

Lots of good information at the Striper owners club

HL

Thanks for your reply High Lights.I was thinking of upgrading to a bigger Striper but after hearing about your story I don't think I'm interested anymore. I've got to go down to Sherwood Marine and get this problem resolved as I bought brand new from them. When I get around to upgrading I will find the money to get a Grady White hopefully a 258 Journey. I've heard about them being overpriced and all this but if this problem happened to a Grady one would think they would rush it in for repairs just for damage control. They seem like a good honorable boat maufacturer may be worth the extra cash and the haul design is excellent. I probably should have done it right the first time but such is life
Thanx again:)

I have never heard of this specific problem, and was wondering why the downrigger mounting surface on this seaswirl is reinforced - I guess this explains it.

1.jpg

That's funny that the install/service guys from Sherwood Marine would be selling new boats knowing this problem can occur and installing downrigger mounts without the proper hardware for the haul as you have in the picture. The feedback from High Lights indicates that they don't install the hardware even after repairs to the haul have been made. When I get the repairs made I'm going to inquire about getting this hardware installed correctly from them and maybe this will become standard to prevent this from happening in the future.
Thanx for your reply
Bud. :)

Don't fret Blackswirl. The boat still has some of the ***iest lines out there. I have guided form dozens of boats over the years and I have yet to find a boat that doesn't have one issue or another. These things are used in harsh conditions. Every season there are maintenance issues. You just have to stay on top of them. Like they say the happiest day of a boaters life is the day you buy your boat and the day you sell it.

If the Stripers did not lose their shape after 26' I'd go for the 28. Makes me think of eventually getting a large pursuit or the 33' Grady Express.

The 2301 will serve my needs just fine though. So there you have it.
Hope you solve your problem.

HL

Back