Sea Lice and Fish Farms

The only time a fish farm is removed is when sea counts reach max. The fish farm needs to pack up and move till sea lice counts are lower. Thus protecting wild returning stocks. Happens in the nootka area every so often. Sorry nothin major.

Thanks Dave, yes I did find it interesting.

I would like to have these discussions based on hard observed data. Too often a team gets riled up by a study or two that make sense but aren't scientifically sound, or they are shown not to be sound as time passes. I fear it is then more about pride and being right than being effective.

Add to the mix a political agenda and it all goes south.

MORE evidence of the Fish Farm Sea Lice problem is out of control worldwide.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c70b6f98089_story.html?utm_term=.e3c6992c7dea
this was published recently in many outlets in the world including the Victoria Times Colonist this morning.
Of note is the following;
“Our work has to be quicker than the evolution of the lice,” said Jake Elliott, vice president of Cooke Aquaculture in Blacks Harbour, New Brunswick."
"Farmers worldwide consider sea lice the biggest threat to their industry and say the persistent problem is making the fish more expensive to consumers."
"The only hope is to develop new methods to control the spread of lice, which are present in the wild, but thrive in the tightly packed ocean pens for fish farming, said Shawn Robinson, a scientist with the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans."
"The industry’s key mistake was (not)reacting when the lice evolved to survive pesticide, Carr said, rather than “getting ahead in the game.”

All of this sounds so familiar!
Alexander Morton brought this to the attention of the world YEARS ago and it still persists with all the other problems of disease and escapements
Yet some on this forum and Industry Spokesmen still say Open Pen Fish Farms are NOT A THREAT TO OUR WILD SALMON.

The only time a fish farm is removed is when sea counts reach max. The fish farm needs to pack up and move till sea lice counts are lower. Thus protecting wild returning stocks. Happens in the nootka area every so often. Sorry nothin major.
I believe that is a misinterpretation of risk management practices for WILD stocks, bones. The reason that only very infrequently does a farm move location is because of restricted basin or inlet water flow which encourages naupilar retention and facilitates reoccurring sea lice outbreaks on the FARM stock. The protection is for the FARM fish, and who knows what those associated effects are on the adjacent WILD stocks?

MORE evidence of the Fish Farm Sea Lice problem is out of control worldwide.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c70b6f98089_story.html?utm_term=.e3c6992c7dea
this was published recently in many outlets in the world including the Victoria Times Colonist this morning.
Of note is the following;
“Our work has to be quicker than the evolution of the lice,” said Jake Elliott, vice president of Cooke Aquaculture in Blacks Harbour, New Brunswick."
"Farmers worldwide consider sea lice the biggest threat to their industry and say the persistent problem is making the fish more expensive to consumers."
"The only hope is to develop new methods to control the spread of lice, which are present in the wild, but thrive in the tightly packed ocean pens for fish farming, said Shawn Robinson, a scientist with the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans."
"The industry’s key mistake was (not)reacting when the lice evolved to survive pesticide, Carr said, rather than “getting ahead in the game.”

All of this sounds so familiar!
Alexander Morton brought this to the attention of the world YEARS ago and it still persists with all the other problems of disease and escapements
Yet some on this forum and Industry Spokesmen still say Open Pen Fish Farms are NOT A THREAT TO OUR WILD SALMON.
This is also scary. How many times have new species been introduced with disasterous consequences? "And farmers in North America and Europe are experimenting with using species of “cleaner fish” to coexist with the salmon and eat the lice."

Maybe you can give us your thoughts on why - but you understand the difference between fallowing (often forced by lice outbreaks) and relocation, bones?

And if there are reoccurring severe lice outbreaks - what does that say about the siting criteria - impacts to adjacent wild stocks - and the open net-cage technology?

Maybe you can give us your thoughts on why - but you understand the difference between fallowing (often forced by lice outbreaks) and relocation, bones?
And if there are reoccurring severe lice outbreaks - what does that say about the siting criteria - impacts to adjacent wild stocks - and the open net-cage technology?

There is no doubt "reoccurring severe lice outbreaks" are occurring in Fish Farms and in the article I post earlier ,the industry admitted they are worried about the problem, as the use of Slice to control the problem is no longer effective.
There is also no doubt Fish Farm Sea Lice kill our wild salmon. We just don't know how many.
I don't know why the regular Fish Farm supporters on this site have not posted on this subject since the news story above was released??
Surely Dave, Shuswap and Birdsnest can give us an estimate or guess on just how many Wild Salmon have been killed by Fish Farm Sea Lice?
The industry says they are doing their best to control their Lice problem however seem to feel wild salmon being killed by Fish Farm Sea Lice is simply the cost of doing business.

Count the number of samples Morton has put in formalin, then double that number, and you have my estimate.
Get serious, there is no way of knowing how many Pacific's are killed by sea lice, just like we don't know how many are killed by all the user groups.

Count the number of samples Morton has put in formalin, then double that number, and you have my estimate.
Get serious, there is no way of knowing how many Pacific's are killed by sea lice, just like we don't know how many are killed by all the user groups.

Yep....no one knows for sure how many "Pacific's" as Dave puts it, are killed by Fish Farm Sea Lice and further more we never will know for sure.
Dave and I do seem to agree on the fact that Fish Farm Sea Lice do kill our wild salmon. Thanks for that Dave.
No doubt Dave's estimate on how many are killed is an attempt to bring some humor to the subject....agreed???

There are estimates of how many salmon are killed by user groups - it is called estimating harvesting rates by sector, that is what DFO uses in part to decide upon their next year harvesting/allocation rates, and numerous fishing regulations that all user groups are expected to adhere by. This is what just DFO did to base their early closure of the coast wide recreational halibut fishery. To say DFO doesn't do this would be to imply that they are not following standard fisheries management best practices ;)

The feedlot salmon farm industry could also try to provide rough estimates of the number of salmon killed by large numbers of sea lice found around their net pens - BUT sympathetic DFO does not require it and I would image that hell would freeze over before the multi-national fish farm corporations would provide such data. Such data would be bad for the FF business and their corporate shareholders bank accounts!

nobody here is avoiding questions, the question that was asked was "
Closing a ff to protect wild stocks? Has that ever happened?
my answer was
then you asked
Do you have more info, bones?
then i said:

not to shure why you are revisiting this when you know the answers....

Yep....no one knows for sure how many "Pacific's" as Dave puts it, are killed by Fish Farm Sea Lice and further more we never will know for sure.
Dave and I do seem to agree on the fact that Fish Farm Sea Lice do kill our wild salmon. Thanks for that Dave.
No doubt Dave's estimate on how many are killed is an attempt to bring some humor to the subject....agreed???
Considering the lunacy of your question it was a very adequate reply.

There are estimates of how many salmon are killed by user groups - it is called estimating harvesting rates by sector, that is what DFO uses in part to decide upon their next year harvesting/allocation rates, and numerous fishing regulations that all user groups are expected to adhere by. This is what just DFO did to base their early closure of the coast wide recreational halibut fishery. To say DFO doesn't do this would be to imply that they are not following standard fisheries management best practices ;)

The feedlot salmon farm industry could also try to provide rough estimates of the number of salmon killed by large numbers of sea lice found around their net pens - BUT sympathetic DFO does not require it and I would image that hell would freeze over before the multi-national fish farm corporations would provide such data. Such data would be bad for the FF business and their corporate shareholders bank accounts!
Tell us how you would go about obtaining this "rough estimate" before you start bashing sympathetic DFO. I'm eagerly awaiting your methodology and study design.

Tell us how you would go about obtaining this "rough estimate" before you start bashing sympathetic DFO. I'm eagerly awaiting your methodology and study design.

If they (the fish farms and DFO) don't have any idea or can't provide a rough estimate of the mortality of our wild salmon they cause they shouldn't be in our waters at all imo....

Back