Scuppers one way rubber flaps

Peahead

The 228 Seafarer scuppers are at or below the water line especially with a kicker motor and full fuel tanks. Add scupper rubber flaps that don't seal well and a couple big heavy guys playing fish/working the downrigger in a stern 'corner" of the cockpit and you can get backflow up through that scupper. Before you know it you are sloshing through an on deck "puddle" of water with soaked shoes.

I am trying to figure out best way to stop this - one, two, three or all of the following:

1) Haul boat and replace each complete thru hull/scuppers with new ones, either the rubber one way flapper style that Grady installs or the ping pong ball type? Will the ping pong ball type drain as well as the flapper type if partially or fully below water line ?

2) Repace only the rubber flapper and not the whole scupper thru hull ? ( The present rubber flappers in the scuppers are stiff and don't close/seal water out properly) Can I just replace these rubber flappers on the 228 without removing the whole scupper ?

3) Install a seacock shut off on the thru-hull to each of the scuppers and only open them on a trip when I need to use washdown or need to drain deck ?
I have read that every thru hull below or at static water line should have a seacock shut off however because scuppers don't normally sit below water line they don't normally need to be seacock protected. The problem with having a scupper seacock is that you would absolutely have to remember to keep them open for rain drainage when the boat is stored/moored.

4) Have some cockpit deck drain plugs on hand to block the back flow through the scuppers and flooding onto cockpit deck or can I expect new scupper one way rubber flappers to completely seal off the backflow onto deck ?

thanks for any comments, thoughts or ideas !

Greg

Seacocks are a must if your scuppers are below the waterline under the load of people working the stern.

I tried those rubber flap scuppers and wasn't impressed at all.

I have the larger ping pong ball in a cup scuppers on my boat and they work excellent as long as you keep them clean of debris and barnacles.

I had a boat once with the same problem when the stern was heavy laden with extra people that happens when fighting a fish or pulling crab pots, but typically would not be problem with only one person. I found rubber stoppers with diameter slightly bigger than the self bailing deck drain holes worked excellent. I later modified to the ping pong ball type (actually the ball is solid) and like it alot, except when debris prevented it from sealing, such as eel grass I would pick up when crabbing. In my case, access to the modified scupper was handy and one can reach down and stick finger in and clear, but if such scupper is below a swimstep or pod then the only way to clear is with washdown pump. good luck in finding the solution. DAJ

check what size the scupper opening is,, a couple of racket balls cured my scupper problems.

I have the ping pong ball/cup type on my skagit and they seem to work great. As fishtofino and dance a jig mentioned the only issue is sometimes a bit of debris can get in there and stop them from draining or sealing, if you are aware of that it is easy to keep them clean.

Greg,
I have had the same issue on my explorer since owning it and always been uncomfortable with it.
at the dock(at rest) my scuppers are half under water with the 4 stroke merc kicker hanging off the back and both batteries.
what I have done is to move all my cannon balls( 90lbs) as far forward in the cuddy as possible and this actually raises the scuppers above the water line enough
to be comfortable leaving the boat moored without checking it every other day.
as far as out fishing it doesnt seem to back up on the deck unless 2 guys have been in the same corner for some time.
and no issues backing up either
I change the flappers a couple times a year needed or not.

My Skagit came with 1.5" X 6" flopper doors with rubber seals which sit above the water line 90 % of the time. When backing up (during dropping the hali anchor) the odd wave hitting the back of the boat and hit the door and pops it open then the water coming in would hold the door open. I have now installed a conversion kit from the Port Boat House which covers the Doors with a painted aluminum plate which has a large hole cut into it with a large ball value attached.

My last boat (622 Campion) sat just above the water line and had rubber flap values. When backing up the water sometimes would pushed in rubber in and I would start taking on water. I installed ball valves and they worked great as long as you keep them clean.

Greg,
I have had the same issue on my explorer since owning it and always been uncomfortable with it.
at the dock(at rest) my scuppers are half under water with the 4 stroke merc kicker hanging off the back and both batteries.
what I have done is to move all my cannon balls( 90lbs) as far forward in the cuddy as possible and this actually raises the scuppers above the water line enough
to be comfortable leaving the boat moored without checking it every other day.
as far as out fishing it doesnt seem to back up on the deck unless 2 guys have been in the same corner for some time.
and no issues backing up either
I change the flappers a couple times a year needed or not.

Thanks, I have decided to stay with flappers but replace regularily as you do - If they work well , its less work then pulling a whole scupper and installing the whole ball type unit. I have read that the ball type have more issues with debris and also that the balls are noisy ( sloshing of ball back and forth) if installed on boats where the scupper entry point on the transom is at the water line and allows water to constantly come up back through the drain hose.

I will put these in when I haul the boat out in next few weeks for other maintenance

http://www.thmarine.com/products/Ae...ngs/Scupper-Drains/Scupper-Flapper-Repair-Kit

These are not rubber, but are molded of a thermoplastic elastomer that is resistant to UV and the elements, so they do not curl like the rubber flappers. I noticed mine are curled and must be quite old as they seem very stiff as weel as curved ( no wonder they aren't sealing.

Hey Hookin' up , do you know if scupper flappers install easily with a top screw on the flapper or are some flappers installed internally to the scupper ? My boat is in the water and all photos I have , don't show close enough view to see any screw where they are attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Greg,
these are the ones I have(made by sea-dog), easily changed from the water side
in minutes
Tim

scupper.jpg

I would go with the ping pong ball style. Had same problem when I had a 24 Wellcraft, and they solved it in short order and they are a cheap solution. Trick to keeping them clear of debris is to run a hose at full tilt out your scupper to blow that crap out. When I had my boat inspected by the Transport Canada guy he mentioned that this was the best style and what they preferred to see charter operators using - although it was not mandatory.

Here they are:

http://www.iboats.com/Seachoice-Sel...158036255--session_id.845904579--view_id.2916

Searun, I have the bronze thru hull on my 228G with the rubber flapper that attaches just inside the scupper via a one screw above the flapper's "hinge", much like this synthetic one shown:

$(KGrHqR,!gwE17WJMTY8BNru+eLeg!~~0_1.jpg FSRK-1-DP-flapper-scupper-repair-kit-500.jpg

I don't have the type that you show with outer ring/gasket assembly that has 4 screws to hold on the outer retainer ring:

med-42794495.jpg

.......so unless I am missing something, I am not sure I can use the ping pong style scupper you have shown as that would be installed similarily as the type above with 4 hole retainer ring.
Maybe there is a ping pong type that will work on the 228 without repacing a complete thru hull/scupper ??

Peahead,did you install the new flappers and if so how did it work out
Scott

Not yet - Grady White has offered to ship me some flapper replacements to try out that they use on the 228 - Perko makes them and they just have a screw or two on top and fit into the scupper on the outside of transom, just inset about a 3/4" inch into the scupper. Should be here soon. I will let you know how it turns out when they're in. Haul out not till January now as waiting for some other parts to arrive yet. Here is a photo of a 228 scupper ....you can just barely see the screw at the top of the rubber flapper:

IMG_0369 228 scupper.jpg

In the meantime I located this chromed bronze cockpit drain/scupper - that installs in cockpit deck and has check ball - quite like this if it works the way I think it would. Looks like the "ping pong" ball is just below deck level rather than on outside of transom - that has to have big advantage for installation and access .

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/underwater_hardware/product/447/

The other thing you might try: if your kicker and batteries are on the same side then move your batteries. I did this on my Grady and it helped a lot. I ordered the " th marine flappers" from West Marine I will let you know how they are
Scott

my balls were frozen this morning. would flappers help?

You might need a ball warmer. :)

Greg. I have the same issue with my 228. Let me know how this works pls. Gord

Will do. Here are the Perko flappers I got to try out. They look much the same as the others I mentioned above

IMG_2981Perko.jpg

The other thing you might try: if your kicker and batteries are on the same side then move your batteries. I did this on my Grady and it helped a lot. I ordered the " th marine flappers" from West Marine I will let you know how they are
Scott
Thx... I'd love to hear how the T-H marine ones work for you. I installed the kicker on the port side of full beam swim platform (platform sits over the pod) I moved the boarding ladder over to the starboard side of swim platform/Pod. The 228G's batteries are under both stern seats, one on port , one on starboard. With batteries on each side and kicker opposite side to helm , hull sits very level.

Back