Scotty Rod Holder Extender

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has added the Scotty rod holder extender to the booms of their downriggers to bring the rod holder to a more accessible location? If so, do you suggest upgrading?

Thanks
upload_2017-2-22_12-21-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-22_12-21-19.png
    upload_2017-2-22_12-21-19.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 3
I have used the plastic ones, I did not like them. They flexed too much, and I did not trust that they would not eventually break. I bought the stainless steel Scotty extenders and replaced them with those instead. I like the stainless ones, but they are way more expensive.

I've used the plastic ones for years. Yes, they flex, but I've never had one break.
Stosh

I do no believe that they make stainless versions with the end that clamp to the boom as shown above. The stainless ones only fit in rod holder mounts. The boom needs a star knob bolt.

Have it off my back downrigger no problems with a orca lays back so I can reach it find it very handy

yes they do twist about 45* so far no snap i like them way better, easier on my back instead of reaching out for the rodIMG_4212.JPG

If your boat allows it ditch the boom mounted stuff & install a flush mount pointed straight back.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm trying to make my boat more fishable for the older guys (70 plus) that I fish with. Leaning over the boat to get to the rod on the boom is just a little too tough on them at times, especially when offshore. I cannot mount flush mounts but I do agree they are the best option.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm trying to make my boat more fishable for the older guys (70 plus) that I fish with. Leaning over the boat to get to the rod on the boom is just a little too tough on them at times, especially when offshore. I cannot mount flush mounts but I do agree they are the best option.
Awesome that you are thinking about our Seniors!! Good for you :)

It will cost a lot more, but if you can't mount holders inboard where they're easier to reach buy the "Pro Pack" Scotty rod holder base with 2 extra rod holder mounts. I removed the front tube holder and replaced it with the extender and a regular Orca holder. That's how I have mine set up with the stainless extensions on the front holder. That way you don't have to reach way outboard with the rigger awkwardly in the way. Way better for the old or small young children to access the rods easily. I rarely use my boom mounted holders while trolling. The boom mounted holders are just too far outboard too be easily accessed IMO.

http://scotty.com/product/no-247-dual-rod-holder/

Last edited:
If your using any of the Scotty plastic rod holders, Please Please Please hook a safety lanyard from your boat to your rod and reel. They are plastic and they do break!. $1000.00 plus went flying off the back of my boat two summers ago. Scotty rep chuckled and told me they would gladly replace my rod holder, I also chuckled and said thanks but the only thing that says Scotty on my boat will be my down riggers. After a lot of research i installed Burnewiin mounts. Very expensive but when you look at the price of lost rods and reels and time on the water i feel they were worth it. I am not saying don't use Scotty, they have been around for a long time and seem to stand behind their product just remember to tie off your rod and reel. A big thanks to Islander for replacing my reel at a guides discount.

Have the same set up as 9 fter but lay it flat right on top of rigger with a orca holder (new one) and no it has never popped out as you need front end UP tension to release it love it. and scotty has awesome products been using them since old day of james bay plant..... And honestly best local company

It will cost a lot more, but if you can't mount holders inboard where they're easier to reach buy the "Pro Pack" Scotty rod holder base with 2 extra rod holder mounts. I removed the front tube holder and replaced it with the extender and a regular Orca holder. That's how I have mine set up with the stainless extensions on the front holder. That way you don't have to reach way outboard with the rigger awkwardly in the way. Way better for the old or small young children to access the rods easily. I rarely use my boom mounted holders while trolling. The boom mounted holders are just too far outboard too be easily accessed IMO.

http://scotty.com/product/no-247-dual-rod-holder/

+1 on the Pro-packs.

Back