Scotty downrigger question

Redfisher

One of my 1106's is cutting out when picking up the gear. It will go about 60-70 feet then quit. If I wait 10 seconds then it will work again for another 50-60 feet. I put in a brand new motor last year and everything is nice and dry inside the motor cover. Spool is not warped, brake is set ok and I am using a 15lb ball which is my norm. Is this possibly a relay that is not right or might it be a bum circuit breaker?

Dumb question but did you try to replace the fuse?

Sounds like a cct breaker. This is from the Scotty site. Yours maybe faulty so I would take it in for repair.

Circuit Breaker

Your Scotty electric downrigger is equipped with an automatic circuit breaker to protect the motor from overload. If you hang up on the bottom or on a heavy mass of weeds and then push the power up button, the circuit breaker will probably trip. Wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to automatically reset and you will have power again. However, do not repeatedly attempt to lift a load too heavy for the downrigger motor. If possible the downrigger line must rst be freed from the obstruction.

Note: It is also possible to trip the circuit breaker by raising a weight over 20 lb. from extreme depth. The circuit breaker is designed to trip at 15 amps. If this happens allow the circuit breaker to cool several seconds before resuming lifting

Sounds like a cct breaker. This is from the Scotty site. Yours maybe faulty so I would take it in for repair.

Circuit Breaker

Your Scotty electric downrigger is equipped with an automatic circuit breaker to protect the motor from overload. If you hang up on the bottom or on a heavy mass of weeds and then push the power up button, the circuit breaker will probably trip. Wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to automatically reset and you will have power again. However, do not repeatedly attempt to lift a load too heavy for the downrigger motor. If possible the downrigger line must rst be freed from the obstruction.

Note: It is also possible to trip the circuit breaker by raising a weight over 20 lb. from extreme depth. The circuit breaker is designed to trip at 15 amps. If this happens allow the circuit breaker to cool several seconds before resuming lifting
This is kind of what I think but don't know for sure. I have spare circuit beakers and spare relays but don't know for sure which might be the problem or if they are testable. Don't want to burn out motor needlessly.

I would take it in to Scotty. If that's not practical I would change out the cct breaker first. Not sure how complicated it is to get to. If it's the correct rating the replacement shouldn't cause a problem. If however the new one pops I would definitely take it in to Scotty, because you likely have a major issue with the motor, or a load issue.

You are not blowing fuses if it cuts back in after 10 seconds.
The overload symptoms seem to fit. I'd go that route.

One of my 1106's is cutting out when picking up the gear. It will go about 60-70 feet then quit. If I wait 10 seconds then it will work again for another 50-60 feet. I put in a brand new motor last year and everything is nice and dry inside the motor cover. Spool is not warped, brake is set ok and I am using a 15lb ball which is my norm. Is this possibly a relay that is not right or might it be a bum circuit breaker?

I had the exact same issue on an older 1106. Took it in for repair and they ended up replacing the control box, problem fixed.

Could just be corrosion in your plugs. I've had to pull my plugs apart a couple times now to clean the corrosion off the contact points in both the male plug from the head unit and the female receiver plug in my gunnel. And that is exactly what it does when the corrosion builds up; it will just cut out once and awhile while using it. Sometimes you can tell if that's what it is by wiggling the plug while using the rigger to see if it stops/starts up again. That will tell you the connection isn't 100% good and had a build up of corrosion in it. Fairly common if out in the salt air a lot.

I'm with chasin dreams. Clean the plug in. A corroded male female receptacle develops heat and it cuts out. Next time it cuts out wiggle it.

Could just be corrosion in your plugs. I've had to pull my plugs apart a couple times now to clean the corrosion off the contact points in both the male plug from the head unit and the female receiver plug in my gunnel. And that is exactly what it does when the corrosion builds up; it will just cut out once and awhile while using it. Sometimes you can tell if that's what it is by wiggling the plug while using the rigger to see if it stops/starts up again. That will tell you the connection isn't 100% good and had a build up of corrosion in it. Fairly common if out in the salt air a lot.
Thanks for this tip... I take my riggers off the boat quite a bit so maybe the connection is not as good as it needs to be and likely some corrosion. Good tip.

IMG_0432.JPG
I use dielectric grease on most of my connections, it helps prevent corrosion.
I put it on numerous things - the Scotty plugs, plug for the trailer lights , light sockets on the boat and trailer.
Obviously the connectors should be clean of corrosion before applying it.

I use it extensively. This downrigger thing is bugging me as everything looks great and was all new last year (and has not gotten salt wet etc). I regularly service my downriggers and this just seems like something is not quite right.

simple just take it in.... they fix it most of the time for free stop worrying about it, the time you spent probably would have been fixed by now !!!!thats one thing GREAT about scotty there service and the people that work their are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a faulty circuit breaker. I swapped out a spare and all is good. No Scotty service spot locally so I phoned them and one of their techs set me straight. Their product support is as always excellent.

Back