Save the Coquitlam River (important)

M

mikewisk

Save the Coquitlam River S.C.R.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Monday the 7th of November, Coquitlam City Council will be voting whether or not to renew soil removal permits for one of the gravel companies operating in the Coquitlam River Valley. We encourage everyone who cares about the health and future of the Coquitlam River to come out next Monday and show city council that we are fed up with polluting gravel companies treating our river like a garbage dump.

Fact: the Coquitlam River is the 6th most endangered river in British Columbia thanks to the excessive sediment loads that are being dumped into the river on a continual basis by gravel companies.

Coquitlam City Hall is located at 3000 Guildford Way and the meeting will start at 7pm

If you want to speak at the meeting and let council know how you feel about this issue read the letter below.

The more people that show up the better.

Hope to see you all there,
Mike Wiskar

For more information read the letter below or visit www.savecoquitlamriver.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All:
At Coquitlam Council’s meeting of Monday, Oct. 17th, the annual renewal of the soil removal permit for the gravel pit operators was delayed by one month by Councilor Fin Donnelly to Monday, Nov. 7th. I have made application to address Council on this issue and urge you to do the same. I feel that we absolutely must make our opposition known to what would otherwise be a rubberstamp procedure fought by a minority of Councilors. The fact that you may live outside the municipality’s boundary is irrelevant. The more attention we can bring to bear on this issue, the better.

For those of you that don’t know, under procedure Bylaw 3616, you must contact the Office of the City Clerk (604-927-3010, FAX: 604-927-3015) and make application to appear. It’s a one page form requesting your name, address, and telephone number, the reason you wish to appear before Council, the date at which you wish to appear (Nov. 7th), who and how many you are representing and the number of Coq. residents you’re representing. If successful, you’ve got 5 minutes in front of them, maximum.

I firmly believe that the process to remedy this particular problem is both political and legal in nature, not solely legal, and this is a reasonable place to begin. It is the final meeting before municipal elections and will get press coverage. If nothing else, the more bodies we physically have there, the better. Although I have not yet received approval to appear, I’m making the assumption that my application will be approved and I ask you to please join me there. If I’ve missed anyone that you think should be invited to attend, please let them know immediately.

The DFO isn’t going to do it for us; the Province isn’t going to do it for us; only WE are going to do it for us. Let’s swamp this meeting with concerned citizens sick of seeing our river turned into a sediment-filled mud bog and start making our feelings known to the public. We don’t have to put up with this. It’s the only way we are going to win.

Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to see you there. Let’s be heard!

Tim Tyler, Pres.

Hoy/Scott Watershed Society

thats sad to hear.I live on Vancouver Island now but years ago I used to enjoy a quick trip to the Coquitlam river.It was only minutes to my home ,yet was a step back in nature.I often enjoyed a morning catching coho and cutthroat,while watching the beavers play.I hope you get a good turnout .
KB

it must be something in the water

Back