Sand Lance Spoon

Andrew P

What is it?

What I have come up with is an imitation of a Pacific Sand Lance. After many shapes over the last few years I came across one that really started to out fish the rest. I refined the shape some more and now have them cut out with a water jet (CNC), rather than tin snips. They are then pressed and bent, currently by hand, but am getting a press dye made up. After pressing the bend they are polished and basically ready to fish. I’ve done three metal types for now; stainless steel, brass and copper. The brass and stainless have out fished the copper so far. You will note in the pics that there is quite a bit of side to side curve giving a more lifelike look and also adding a lot of strength that allows it to be tweaked and hold a custom bend really well. The metal gauge is thick enough to handle some sizable fish and have not had any blow out yet. The lure measures 4” (coho killer is 3" for reference), plus split rings and hook. It has a pointed, asymmetrical/kinked tail which is what really differentiates it from anything else out there. I know that I'm not reinventing the wheel here; just throwing my spoon into the mix. If you can get the speed up, running big 6/0 siwash hooks work great or lighter hooks at slower speeds.

What I am a bit torn on is the art on them. I want to have glow on one side but don’t want to have paint chipping like a lot of spoons do. I have tried all sorts of dye cut vinyl stickers and they work great, and are very durable, but just don’t have that fresh painted candy look. I may have Tomic paint them up. I'm open to any art suggestions.

Who am I?

I grew up around the rivers and lakes of Whistler/Pemberton and was dragged around the bush with my dad even before I could walk for fishing adventures. The rest of my family including both sets of grandparents, parents, etc are lifelong salmons anglers and spent a lot of time on the coast while growing up. The ocean fishing addition increased when I moved to the island when I was 19 and for the last 15 years I have learned have learned a lot and am stoked to learn new things everyday.

My family is also full of designers/engineers/achitect/makers so building things is a given and fly tying came young with my grandpa showing me all I knew. By the time I was 10 I was selling flies to the local oldtimers around Whistler and Pemberton and AP Tackle Works was born. I have an entrepreneurial personality and can’t help but create new things and have created business’ from the time I was really young.

The first ‘real’ business that I started when I was 22 and is the one that I still co-own and run today, 12 years later. It is called Sitka and we are based out of Victoria, BC. We are in the business of wilderness activism, but surfboards, clothing and other products are what pay the bills. We have three company owned stores and wholesale our products to about 150 retailed across North America. Sitka.ca. This will be the first avenue that the lures will be available through.

Why am I selling them?

Why take what is a hobby and sell it?

Well, that comes back to the serial entrepreneur in me I suppose. I see an opportunity to further a few of the causes that I hold dear to my heart; salmon/habitat/ecosystem rehabilitation, a sustainable local food supply for the people and by the people, and also growing the local recreational fisheries economy.

Money from every lure sold will go into salmon enhancement projects, which in turn should put more food on the table of recreational fisherman and their families. We are still figuring out the percentage based on the cost and retail selling price that will go to projects, but I hope it can be a significant amount. They will all be locally made.

Aside from doing these spoons that I have designed myself, we are also doing some reels with Peetz, plugs with Tomic, Fishing floater vest with Mustang and some more goodies in the near future with great local fishing companies.

How will they be available?

I really don’t have time to do all of the selling and such myself (2 kids, day job, surfing, fishing....), so for now I am going to leave that in the hands of the great people at my company as we already have retail, online and wholesale capabilities.

When will they be ready?

Well, some of you already have a couple in your tackle box and of course you guys on here will have first dibs as they roll out…that goes without saying.

Like all the other great folks on here developing gear know, you can’t rush a good thing but I will do up another batch in the next month.

Keeping in mind that these are locally made products and a % goes to enhancement efforts, what retail price do you think they should fetch? Quality hooks, solid guage and string rings.

Here is a bunch of pictures to give an idea if what they look like.

I look forward to the constructive criticism....

IMG_3991.jpgimage.jpgIMG_3287.jpg

re: the collaboration with Peetz as it happens your spoon bears some relationship to a needlefish jig they made decades ago-I'm thinking of the radical curve in the middle.

Good Luck it looks great!

Hey Andrew, I'm glad I asked about your lure.:) I wish you all the best in all of your endevours. I would certainly appreciate a sample pack of your finest at whatever price you decide is appropriate. You could PM me for further info etc. Thanks;) eman

Just seems like a no brainer to have a bigger needle fish spoon. Get them available, Ill fish'em. I pretty much ready to make my own as well. Ill gladly buy a couple of blanks to do up in my preferred colors. There is nothing wrong with your colors I just think it would be fun to create my own. I have some acrylic heat paint that is a powder that I would like to use. It will do that glossy new car finish and be tough but it will chip if the lure is bent to hard. Ill fish'em off shore on the west coast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Locally made, good lure I'd pay maybe $10 for... But only buy one or two. That being said, most guys are almost stingy to the point of madness... So... U probably wanna compete with the other lure prices for comparable products...coyotes, coho killers etc

There's a real need for another good needlefish imitation, I like these, especially the bigger size.

Please paint them up like this and send them along ;)

PacificSandLanceAdult_1.jpg

sandlance_with_young.jpg

Put me down for a few of those when you have them available.
Looks good and durable.

As for price, $10 is fair for a hand crafted lure with some proceeds being donated.

Tips

Just post up a link when they're available for purchase. I think many of us will be waiting with baited breath.

I like them.....Put me down for a few of those when you have them available also...
See out on the water.:cool:
Thanks

Count me in too Andrew. I like them and would look for the larger size in s.s. with glow one side and s.s. on the other or green/glow and s.s. I'm up for 4 to 6 of them and think that if they are $10 a piece with $2.00 or $2.50 going to local volunteer salmon projects, you'll get tons of interest.

Well done.

Give away $2.00 - $2.50 out of a $10 lure? Let the guy make a profit for his troubles! Maybe 25 cents per would be realistic if that is the route he wants to go.

I would pay atleast double a coho killer if it will stand up to more then one decent spring. I have lots of coho killers that are wrecked after 1-3 fish. I love the idea of selling with split rings on the hook end for anglers to choose what hooks to run. Ive always been pissed off having to cut welded rings and put my own split rings and hooks on. That makes the lure worth it right there!

Great work.

Great looking spoon!.....one question:- I notice you are tying direct to a split ring up front.....no issues with that?

Always been leery of doing that myself.......

Try not to put a dollar figure on what you think should be donated back into fisheries. Use a % instead. After all the grunt work, you want to make as much profit as you can. Thats just business. Giving away 20% of something that you might only see 10% profit from makes no sense. If you use a 10% profit margin as the norm, and you arent to concerned about how much money you make off of them, I think a donation of 5% would me more along the lines of what you should be looking at. If you produce 25000 of them, sell them for $10, thats $250,000. 5% of $250,000 is $12,500. Thats a bunch of money back into the fisheries program of your choice with you still making a bit of profit as well.

Great design by the way. Im not from the coast but for as many times as i get out there a year, id buy a couple as well.

Ps, where can I get some sitka stickers?

Back