salt vs freshwater on my boat

jekern1015

I have an aluminum Tracker boat with a 40hp 2 stroke and a 9.9hp 4 stroke as a kicker. What concerns should I have if I decide to put it in the Pueget Sound outside of Vancouver, British Columbia. I don't believe the swells of the ocean in the sound are any different than that of a large lake, since it is protected by a couple of large islands. Would running saltwater through my engines ruin them, or as long as I rinse them out there should be no problem.Thanks in advance for any info or comments you can provide me with.

#1- Puget sound is in Washington state a fair bit south of us.
#2- Pacific ocean is subject to large tides, it's nothing like a lake
#3- there are sheltered areas where you'll be ok, but not suitable for offshore.
#4- fresh water is easier on the motor, flushing after use will help.

I looked at Tracker boats one time......but I couldn't find a model in their line-up that had a self-bailing transom.

I would not use an aluminum on salt water unless it had that..

Many of the boats they make for lakes do not have this feature.

Wind can come up...which it often does....and you might take a wave over the back end. A bilge pump helps.

Don't get caught on the chuck in a 'howler".....if you have neither self-bailing transom or bilge pump.

Just my 2 nickels.....(they say they aren't going to make the Cent anymore).

Cheers....

Some of the worse water I have had is in Okanagan lake! Pick your days I see lots of guys in 12 footers fishing inshore pick your days and know your limits. I have fished lots of metal boats in saltwater just wash and flush everything out when you get home. Also make sure you have anodes on your boat and motors!

I have an aluminum Tracker boat with a 40hp 2 stroke and a 9.9hp 4 stroke as a kicker. What concerns should I have if I decide to put it in the Pueget Sound outside of Vancouver, British Columbia. I don't believe the swells of the ocean in the sound are any different than that of a large lake, since it is protected by a couple of large islands. Would running saltwater through my engines ruin them, or as long as I rinse them out there should be no problem.Thanks in advance for any info or comments you can provide me with.

There are engines specifically designed for saltwater use that do use different components that withstand saltwater better. When it comes to outboards and saltwater the biggest issue is letting the saltwater set in the engine and evaporating leaving the salt deposit that will cause internal corrosion. Yes, just rinse it out.

Craven is correct, Puget Sound is not close. Vancouver, British Columbia and protected by a couple of large islands and I can only assume those large islands are Bowen and Gambier? If so, that is “Howe Sound”? About the only thing there I would worry about is getting ran over by all that traffic, including those big ferries coming in and out of Horseshoe Bay! J

There are not “swell of the ocean” in Howe Sound. There isn’t any “ocean swell” in Strait of Georgia or Puget Sound either. You can get some good tidal flows in both; however, the does indicate – new boater? Let me see if I can help you out a little.

The easiest explanation of “ocean swell” is they are only in the ocean. They are created by storms elsewhere – could be from anywhere, including Japan. The storms create rolling waves, which travel across the ocean. The ocean swells are bigger or smaller, depending on the size of the storm creating them. Ocean swells will intensify in swallower water, and especially near shorelines and they turn into those breaking waves surfers love. It is very common to have 12-15 foot ocean swells off WCVI even on calm days. During storms I have seen and been in 30-foot ocean swells along the both Washington and WCVI coasts. FYI… a 30-foot ocean swell means the height of the swell is 15 feet above the flat level ocean, then the trough is 15 feet below the flat level, totally 30-foot. Then you also need to consider things like; time between swells; breaking swells; wind waves; and white caps; that can all go along with the swells! I would not recommend anyone taking boats into waters with large waves and/or large ocean swells unless have the proper equipment (including boat), are trained to do so, have experience, and know what you are doing. You are really subject to - DIE!

The problem and demise of most usually comes from lack of knowledge concerning actual “operation of their boat” simply trying to do something it was not designed (e.g. overloading it); “weather” (especially “wind waves”); “tides” and "tidal flows" (especially “rip tides” and "up to four foot tital flows"). Inside Howe Sound it very well protected; however, you will still see wind waves and they will create white caps and chop that can get a little rough at times. Unless, you are out there in some stupid weather, your greatest threat in that area will probably be from wakes created by boats? I don't know of any danerous tidal flows there and don’t know of any dangerous rip tides in that particular area – maybe someone else does?

Now back to the boat. Why do you even have a kicker, as that added approximately 100 pounds - and that equates to reducing both gear and people? Did you check with the manufacturer and find out by adding the weight of the kicker to the transom that you are still within the designed engine weight? Knowing a Tracker typically has a 20" or 21" transom, how did the additional weight effect your freeboard? It certainly does sound like it might be subject to swamping, expecially from the stern. BTW the freeboard is the distance from the top edge of the side of the boat (or gunwale) down to the waterline. The heavier that stern is, the lower it sits in the water making it more susceptible to swamping.

FYI… boats 19 feet and under are unsinkable by law, but remember they will still swamp, overturn, and capsize. All three can be caused by nothing more than a large wake from another boat and there are boats out there that can put out such a wake.

Now with all the above said, given the right conditions (especially weather) I personally wouldn’t hesitate taking that boat anywhere; however (and that is a big however), with that I have also had the proper “training” and do have the “experience”. I know both that boat limitations and just importantly my own. And, that does NOT mean it is either safe or advisable for anyone to do anything; to include, even moving a boat out of their driveway! I highly suggest getting both the correct training and some experience prior to venturing out on any water.

Sorry about the bad geography, I went to google maps and noticed it was the strait of Georgia I was thinking of. I was using my high school geography memory from 30 years ago and now I know why I just barely passed the class. The island I was referring to was the big one, Vancouver Island. Once again I am sorry for the bad geography on my part. I put a kicker on my boat because my 40hp wont troll under 3-4 mph. My boat is rated for a 75hp and I didn't think the weight of the kicker would be any different than if I had upgraded to the larger motor. As long as one of those days that I am in town the weather conditions are perfect, I may go out. Right now I think I have convinced myself to listen to what others are saying and stick to the lakes only. Thanks for all the information that you all have been able to provide me with. Three more days and my journey begins.

IMO I far and away trust salt water bodies over fresh when it comes to open water. They can be far more dangerous Lakes just come up too fast, and big waves. Waves come from a variety of directions. I'm not a fan of narrow bodies of salt water for same reason.

Back