salmonfishing 2008 season?

fishspoon

I have heard rumours that saltwater fishing may be closed next year in summer due to few fish (salmon) on WCVI. Is that right? If it is closed, I want to try out halibutfishing somewhere on west side of Van. Island.

Where did you hear these rumours?? Sounds kinda fishy to me :D!!! I can't see them doing that...and this year when we were out there, there were quite a few salmon...tonnes and tonnes of Coho. Obviously the counts on the rivers show different though.

Perhaps what you have heard is the concern about the Cowichan River chinook. Because, we have had only 600 to 1000 fish return this year and because they migrate along the outside of WCVI, there is talk that DFO could put further restrictions on ALL fisheries in order to protect the few remaining fish.
Thats why this upcoming meeting with DFO officials on Nov 28th is so important. We need to make it known that the ONLY acceptable measure would be to put in a full blown DFO hatchery on the Cowichan rather than endure enless years of reduced fishing opportunities all over the island in a hopeless attempt to protect a gene pool that DFO admits is already lost.
Everyone is welcome to this public meeting.

I just heard that of an updated chinook count on the Cowi - 2500. Still a fraction of what it should be but better than 600...

Why doesn't the government take some fish farm money revenue and put it into hatcheries? It's the least they could do given all the damage caused by fish farms. And you would think it would be a no-brainer PR move to help promote fisher farmers as the great and caring guys we all them to be. ;) Time to make more noise.

quote:Why doesn't the government take some fish farm money revenue and put it into hatcheries? It's the least they could do given all the damage caused by fish farms

Why not the commercial fishing sector that took 90% (of the public's)resource? Or why not take from the logging sector that choked out 90% of the rivers?

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

quote:Why doesn't the government take some fish farm money revenue and put it into hatcheries? It's the least they could do given all the damage caused by fish farms

Why not the commercial fishing sector that took 90% (of the public's)resource? Or why not take from the logging sector that choked out 90% of the rivers?

Why not include the mining industry? They've been responsible for killing whole river systems with leeching poisons from mine tailings. I think an environmental tax should be imposed on all the industry's that have negatively impacted the rivers and there eco-systems. Shouldn't the industry's responsible for causing past damage be responsible for helping to correct the damage? A fund could be created to remediate river damage, and improve devastated Salmon runs with hatchery augmentation.

I think everyone is too busy blaming the other guy. At this rate combined with Gov't inaction we may see the end of the West Coast salmon fishery.

Exactly right Barbender! It is of nobodies interest to see the salmon disappear - maybe a few individuals are less caring though - but in general... There are actually quite a few initiatives for river restorations for instance where the logging industry chips in quite a few $. Only if all stakeholders pull on the same string then government will see the amplified pressure and therfore be more interested in taking action. We shouldn't forget that the government is led by elected members and they will subscribe to any topic that throws big public waves. If all parties involved keep blaming each other and fight an endless verbal war then no government would want to get involved in this since there is no hope for a win of glory for them...DFO officials have made this very clear to me... The last Cowichan SFAB meeting was a good start but only a start. I hope the initiative won't die now and that a next meeting with reps of all those stakeholders involved and connected to the issue will be summoned soon. I hope SFAB will carry on with their leadership in this...

Back