Salmon Caviar (IKURA)

Rockfish

Just made another batch of Japanese Salmon Caviar (IKURA). In a Sushi Bar it is very expensive per pound. I am a bit of a purist and like it lightly cured with just a little sea salt and then frozen.

Put them in warm water for about 20 seconds and then scrape them off the placenta with a sharp edge spoon. They are fragile and it takes practice not to pop them when separating them and picking them up with a spoon. These ones are not yet cured

http://norecipes.com/recipe/ikura-salmon-caviar/

Attachments

• WP_20150908_001.jpg
    WP_20150908_001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 305
Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried them and they turned out amazing. Like fire opals that flavor burst in your mouth with that incredible mild ocean taste. We are so lucky we get to fish and eat on this coast. Lets not let anyone screw it up.

I want to try this but do you just keep the entire "sack" of eggs and start from there?

Freezing works just fine. I freeze them in small containers with a little liquid on top to retard freezer burn.

This large lot came from the two egg sacks of a 28lb Chinook. Chum eggs work very well also and that is what you will get in the Sushi bars. The first time I tried this it was a disaster. You need large mature pre spawning eggs. The trick is to separate the eggs from the sack and each other completely. To do this I soak the large sacks in warm water for a few seconds (a tip from Bent Tip on this forum). Place the sacks on a very large cutting board and cut open the sack with scissors a little. You want the sacks flatish and the eggs exposed on the top side. Then scrap them off the sack with a spoon starting at one end. You will just have to learn how much force to use. I experimented with spoons until I found one that was flattish and sharp edged but not knife sharp which seemed to work very well. You want them to separate off cleanly as individual eggs, not in clumps of eggs with connective tissue as those are much harder to separate and get rid of the connective tissue. Done right large amounts of them scrap off as individual eggs without breaking and periodically you pick them up in groups gently with a spoon so as not to pop them while avoiding any bits of the sack and broken egg shells which may have broken off. All you want in the finished bowel is clean individual eggs and no bits of debris or broken shells.

Be very careful with draining them or adding and stirring in anything like a small amount of sea salt as they break easily, a little less so once they have been lightly cured. For some reason if you have some broken shells in with your good eggs you can gently and very carefully stir the eggs with a clean finger and the shells will stick to your finger while the whole eggs do not which makes it an easy way to remove the broken shells.

The first couple of times I did this it was frustrating but like many things once you learn it becomes much easier. I don’t like the eggs over salted and you can also add a tiny amount of rice wine vinegar and a little sushi type soy sauce for curing but be very careful as I much prefer the natural flavor and it is very easy to overpower it. Mostly I just use sea salt now and rinse them gently by letting the water hit my hand not the eggs (don't break them) so as to keep them from getting over salted. When you unthaw them you may need to drain them a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
....if you have some broken shells in with your good eggs you can gently and very carefully stir the eggs with a clean finger and the shells will stick to your finger while the whole eggs do not which makes it an easy way to remove the broken shells.
Another trick is to lay a paper towel on top of the eggs-broken bits stick to the paper but whole eggs generally don't.

Back