Sakinaw/Ruby Lake

Q

qthisup

Going up this way for the long weekend and never had much luck. Got a fly rod that I am a big rookie with, but I could also cast from shore or troll with some other gear I have.
I know they are Cutthroat, anything else this time of year?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

if you are using your fly rod,I would suggest trolling with a #4 or 5 sinking line and use dark coloured leech patterns...troll fairly slowly and zig-zag alot.

Heading up to Ruby for the weekend, will be limited to shore fishing but may have access to a kayak. Any tips on fishy areas of the lake? Other lakes in the area that will produce some trout?

I would recommend trying some of the smaller lakes in the area like Hotel, Mixal, Garden Bay, Klein, North etc.. There's definitely trout in Ruby and Sakinaw but they are enormous deep lakes which might be hard to fish from shore. A kayak would ideal in those smaller lakes. Have fun

Hello,
This thread is a bit old but Im looking at renting a cabin on Ruby next weelk. Have a boat with riggers and will bring it along. Any advice..... where, what to use etc...
Thanks

Don't know much about it but I've seen some guys fishing the south end of the lake where the creek connects to Sakinaw lake last week.

Check the regs though, not allowed fishing within 100m of Ruby creek inflow. No fishing in that bay by the boat launch, its a sensitive area between the fish that use the creek and the protected Turtles that inhabit the area. If you have kids and the sun is out look for the turtles on the logs, they may be basking in the sun.

There's a creek across the lake by the road that's worth checking out, and the bays to the left as you exit the boat launch bay. If the sun is high look for shady areas. Try and find the temperature break and troll down deep for the decent sized cutties. The lake has a very large lamprey population and a lot of fish have lamprey wounds.

Sakinaw and Ruby are special ecosystems in the species that inhabit them and are interesting lakes to explore. I personally try and encourage C&R with the cutthroat there.

Last edited:
Back