Sablefish - fishing off Northern Haida Gwaii

anorthernhunter

New member here - great site!

I am heading up to Langara Island at the end of June and got to thinking ... 400 + feet of water isn't hard to find and I thought about trying for some Sablefish.

Has anyone had success up there with them?

Similar set up to hali bait/tackle?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Northern

We had schools of juvenile Sablefish all over Esperanza and Nootka last season.
Only saw a couple of decent size. They weren't in particularly deep water.
One school I ran into was right at the lighthouse. gl

We have caught them off the edge of clayoquot canyon in about 6-650 ft deep on spreader bars with power grubs

Thanks for the info guys. I am thinking about finding some 500 + water off of Langara when I head up
at the end of June to try. Going down 5 - 600 feet is easy ... it's reeling back up that's the tough part.

Are they around shallower or typically 5-600 + is the minimum depth to start?

I plan on dropping some gear in deep water next month out of QCL if I get time. I will let you know how I make out.

I used the Navionics App to locate structures I think may hold Sable fish.

What depth are you targeting as a minimum? I suspect you'd be going for both sablefish and hali's? Same gear/bait I understand. Would you go to 400 or think you'd have to go to 5-600?

I was planning on starting as deep as possible along structure. That will be ~600' and then work my way up. Worst case I hope to find some big yellow eye.. either way it will be cool to do some exploration.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.PNG
    IMG_1560.PNG
    269.9 KB · Views: 27
I was planning on starting as deep as possible along structure. That will be ~600' and then work my way up. Worst case I hope to find some big yellow eye.. either way it will be cool to do some exploration.

Hopefully they will have a seaqualizer for you to use as you will find lots of those old Grandma's that can't be surface released

Hopefully they will have a seaqualizer for you to use as you will find lots of those old Grandma's that can't be surface released

Way ahead of you! I agree a descending device is a must

Attachments

• IMG_1254.PNG
    IMG_1254.PNG
    308.2 KB · Views: 40
Back