Saanich Inlet

Dropped the Prawn Traps yesterday and did pretty well. I was surprised that we never saw many females. Only two had berries!

I'm thinking about going out in the Brentwood/Bamberton area in the next couple of days and wonder if anyone has been having any luck lately. My wife and I met at the old Brentwood Inn in the early 80's (I worked in the Oak and Barrel, she in the Brig) so we had all day to fish, and we did. We used to do well along the cement plant shoreline, Willis Point and McCurdy Point, and she caught what may have been her all time biggest spring jigging just south of Willis. We never got it in the boat due to having a slightly inebriated neophyte trying to net the fish tail first in a small trout net...she cried about that for some time and never quite forgave him for his blunder so I'm glad it wasn't me!

We still use only Peetz rods and reels, although we abandoned the planers and 2 pound balls when downriggers came along, and still have our original reels on the mantel. Her dad refurbished his 6" Peetz counter reel and custom built Peetz roller rod (still loaded with stainless steel wire line) and presented it to her at her birthday last year. It now resides on the wall in our kitchen, and brings back memories of chugging across the inlet in a Brentwood Inn rental boat every time we look at it.

with the herring coming into the inlet(lets hope) now would probably be a good time to get lucky. I would focus on the east side of the inlet as that's where the herring have been spawning in recent years. Wain rock to coles bay.

I haven't gotten out yet but a friend caught a nice little spring just north of Wain rock Wednesday about mid day. We're going to give it another try next week. I'll post our results. He was down about 70' with a coyote spoon, I didn't ask what pattern it was, but I know he likes Cop Cars.

We are booked to fish in the derby. Not sure if we are going to leave the boat in the water Friday night or launch early morning. Weather looks like it should be good.

Cheers

Picked up a nice Spring today just off Bamberton cement plant at 150ft on a green and glow flasher and coyote spoon. Nice to see fish back here.

This is not surprising there have been fish coming up a little north,and they aren't small..I was out with family today on BBQ in evening at mill bay... The amount of bait close into shore and the high concentrations of porpoises, seals and other wildlife... Tell me that the inlet may be changing... We even have seen some killer whales coming in there.... Very nice to see.

Picked up a nice Spring today just off Bamberton cement plant at 150ft on a green and glow flasher and coyote spoon. Nice to see fish back here.

Interesting. I remember fishing in the little rental boats from Brentwood Bay w my Dad when I was a kid and limiting out off of Bamberton. Geez, I must be getting old. Would be awesome if the inlet came back.

very cool to hear! For a few years now bamberton has been boiling with bait nearly every time I've been through, no surpise the salmon are starting to come deeper into the inlet.

Fished Wain rock 4:30-6:30 yesterday as it was too windy for me too head over to Sidney. Got a 15lb hatchery trolling shallow 27' on the rigger.IMG_20150722_185103.jpg

It sure did. That's all I've used since I bought them. A madi flasher in font and a 42" leader.

Back