Saanich Inlet

My first tyee came from the south side of Senanus island in the early 80's. Peetz reels, 1lb ball hooked on a swivel, and big roller guides for the steel line. No gps and no fishfinder. Just a Dad who knew the area. Was very young then, but definitely remember Gilberts launch. Always freaked the hell out of me.

30 pounders were caught near Todd Inlet every year. Same with off the cement plant. I caught the biggest Coho of the King Fisherman Derby one year of Stone Cabin(?) just North of Hall's Boat House. Fish deep with planers towing dodgers and little blue and white squirts used to produce a lot of teeney springs. These were in the days you could rent an old clinker built at Brentwood.

I was just down exploring the flats beyond Goldstream Park. Use to be all Eel Grass. Now it's just mud.

30 pounders were caught near Todd Inlet every year. Same with off the cement plant. I caught the biggest Coho of the King Fisherman Derby one year of Stone Cabin(?) just North of Hall's Boat House.

perhaps you meant to say "Stone House" on the same side as the stone steps near Misery Bay,a WW2 movie was shot on the same steps. Back in the glory days we fished Misery Bay, Chesterfield rock; sometimes overnighted at Mckenzie Bite, you knew it was going to be a memorable weekend when the old man packed a jug of royal red...:)

Another hatch job, this time from Pat Bay. 140' deep down in the mud on a squirt - only fished for an hour or so.

Attachments

• photo(14).jpg
    photo(14).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 815
Nice, Poppa n fresh...:)

This thread is making me so happy! Not stop posting or there will be a hundred boats in front of my house on Saturday!

Nice work Poppa Swiss! Herring inside?

You know I got distracted and forgot to check, the one from the other night did have a 4 inch herring in it though.

This thread is making me so happy! Not stop posting or there will be a hundred boats in front of my house on Saturday!

I wouldn't blame them, you've got glass calm water, sunny warm weather and I've proven there's fish there. You'll see me out saturday.

Thats so cool to see the feed and fish showing back up in the inlet. Lots of time, when the wind was coming up off Sooke, we would hit "The Inlet" from the marina (the name escapes me) closest to Goldstream and fish Chesterfield and a couple other places. Always amazed me that we could fish off Chesterfield and almost drag our rod tips along the rocks. We usually picked up a few teeners as we enjoyed the calm in "The Inlet".

Great to see it coming back!!!

Cheers

SS

I helped some people at Goldstream Hatchery few years ago...there were a few springs in that river that we rescued for broodstock projects. Hopefully, we could see more springs coming in this year.

Where is chesterfield? I grew up on the inlet, and I pretty much know most of the spots. Just never heard of this location till this thread started....

Where is chesterfield? I grew up on the inlet, and I pretty much know most of the spots. Just never heard of this location till this thread started....

Rockdog: Chesterfield Rock is at the very bottom of the Inlet just below the powerlines before the narrows. It is only a half mile or so from Goldstream Island on the right side as you go up the inlet, across the other side is Misery Bay. The usual tack in the day was to troll the edge of the drop at the island, up to Chesterfield, then across to Misery Bay then back to the drop at the island. It was very productive in the late 80's to early 90's early season for me - mid-April to mid-June. At that time I would switch to fishing Sooke.

...Rob

Thanks for that info Rob.

I didn't get out today(Saturday), so no report from me. Tomorrow is the day that works for me now...

Chesterfield rock, apparently by my fathers account used to have a rock that looked like a chesterfield with two arms on it...but one of the rocks fell off. Used to love coming back in at night to Hall's boathouse and getting a 25 cent pep chew and walking through the petunia gardens at night with the lights and little waterwheel...old school!

Used to jig squid off the dock there too...hours of fun.

Gave Pat Bay and Bamberton a couple of hours of effort each on Saturday. No Joy... Flat and sunny though! No crab as per usual in Pat Bay (very occasionally get them there but hardly worth putting the trap down)

Back