Run outboard up to WOT sometimes?

Fisherman Rob

Looking for opinions on if it's good to run an outboard up to WOT every once in a while. I've heard that it helps blasts out carbon build up on valves etc. On the other hand, pushing a motor to it's limits can result in catastrophic failure, maybe too risky on an older 2 stroke?

My bud runs his older 2 stroke balls to the wall every time we're out and no problems ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure about WOT but if you normally only use your main for short runs then yes, it's a good idea to go for the odd extended cruise at a higher rpm. This was the advice given to me by SG power.

If I didn't with the boat now and then I wouldn't get anywhere. So underpowered with the 140, works great :p

Engines are meant to do that. Good to 'load cycle' them. Just use discretion. Hopefully you are propped right which is most important and WOT is in the proper RPM range, most important.

I think the boat is propped correctly. It's a '96 Yamaha 115 V4 and at WOT and trimmed, hits 5600 RPM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always thought it was good practice to run any engine up to WOT every once and a while.
This becomes more important if you troll on the motor or otherwise run it at low throttle for periods of time.
Low throttle for long periods is hard on engines, they do not get up to temperature and problems can ensue.
Run it until the smoke clears then that amount of time again.
Make sure the engine is at operating temperature before going WOT.

Respectfully, if you are afraid of a catastrophic failure from running WOT then you shouldnt be running that engine. Most engines that I have been around that are babied are problematic. Good gas, good oil...give er!

none of my boats with inboard or outboard were run at wot as standard practice... on my old 1989 vro envinrude I had on my last boat I personally wouldn't do it myself...

Nope, just my cruising rpms which is 4200-4400. If you have an older engine hat has any weakness or slop then WOT may be what does it in. I have had mine to WOT but don't make it a habit or routine.

In the past I have blown 2 motors going WOT which were both 2 stroke oil injected. First motor I blow a ring which got stuck in the transfer port and damaged the cylinder. Second motor damaged the crankshaft by stretching the bolts on piston rod. I wouldn't recommend it as a cruising speed. Maybe bad luck as both motors blow up the same spot. Lol I now cruise from 3800-4400 perfect speed on the ocean. I still a run a 2 stroke motor which this one I rebuild myself and took out the oil injection. It's been running great for the last 2 1/2 years and haven't WOT. Good luck just my personal experience.:)

agreed with profisher. WOT may be ok if you are using high octane gas, but some older models were quite fuel sensitive and would tend to detonate or pre ignite under that kind of load.

This thread has totally reinforced my long held opinion that outboards are made by the devil himself.
Who else would engineer a motor that could not handle the full throttle range, as designed?
The more outboards I meet, the more I love my diesel!

Gong show...hold the throttle open on you daily driver on a track where you could do it and see how many miles you get before it grenades. This is more true on modern engines where the hp to cc's is so high and they are squeezing so much power out of smaller and lighter engines. If you want to run anything at WOT all the time just be prepared to pull out the wallet more often.

Sorry post # 2 in the thread is the one I was countering.

Low throttle for long periods is hard on engines, they do not get up to temperature and problems can ensue

Not sure that is hard on them, I've done a lot of trolling on mine.
but make sure your thermostat is in good shape on a 4 -stroke or
there will be problems.

I don't think its hard on a 2 stroke. I believe there made for high rpm. My 165hp 2stroke sled does 6000-8600 rpm all day long. I understand a marine 2stroke is little different but 2stroke is a 2stroke.

2 strokes are like rental cars---if you're not riding them hard and putting them away wet, you're not standing behind your obligations!

Most non marine 2 strokes are air cooled and there is no danger of a loss of cooling. With outboards you have a fairly high chance of a coolant restriction
from debris...at WOT with no water flowing it is only a matter of seconds and you have a serious overheated engine that likely will need repairs at the least.

I beg to differ about most non marine two strokes that are roughly the same displacement being air cooled. this isn't 1970! I run my 200 opti WOT for a couple mins every trip to make sure its still running good and hits the same WOT rpm without any issues!

Back