Run from Rupert across to Sandspit

I think you should go for the experience not for the expectation of catching a 40-60# salmon. I've only been over there for work but theres something very special about the west side of Haida Gwaii.

The run across the Hecate in the summer should be ok. You're an experienced boater and would pay attention to marine forecasts and common sense (don't go at night!) so I feel there's no issue.

The skidigate narrows transit is somewhat unique. Just go at high water and stay on your marks. Tug, fish and sailboats go through there so you should have no issue given your draft compared to theirs.

A valuable resource for a trip like this would be the Sailing Directions publication.

I hate to blow my own horn but I will anyway. You could always go fishing with one of the local guides, way cheaper than the lodges, nice boats, nice accommodations and guides that know the area...

May be cheaper check us out

Bret

I totally agree; went with Bret for 3 days in July. Bret fishes without in-line flashers & is a very highly skilled guide - heated boat too. He rents a nice 3 bedroom house & drives you to wherever you need to go. fishmasset.com

The skidigate narrows transit is somewhat unique. Just go at high water and stay on your marks. Tug, fish and sailboats go through there so you should have no issue given your draft compared to them
The "ditch". Yes - draft-wise - no probs. Twisty, narrow and rocky in spots. Currents can be nasty if you catch them wrong. Always an East to West flow - unless it is slack. That's because Hecate Strait works a little like the Bay of Fundy bathtub - causing higher tides on the East Coast of Haida Gwaii - which translates into a westerly water flow. That means transiting East to West - easy peasy. West to East after fishing - you either need to plow through some currents/rapids - or need to hold-up and anchor half-way in Trounce Inlet and wait it out.

Well folks, a lot of great info, reading experiences and advice is really cool and greatly appreciated! Not into making a none educated decision. I really have no idea what my plan is at this time but either way I will be going across or hit the Central Coast again next season to catch the odd fish and explore.

P.S.
Read the fish farm threads as something has to be done to get them out of the water!!

I friend did the crossing from Rupert a few years back in a 26ft Grady. They were in the pub having dinner and a drink and got talking to some locals. They asked when would you guys make the crossing. They said right now...just before dark...like mentioned earlier on.... less winds. So they paid the bill got in the boat and left. I forget how long it took them but no problems.

I friend did the crossing from Rupert a few years back in a 26ft Grady. They were in the pub having dinner and a drink and got talking to some locals. They asked when would you guys make the crossing. They said right now...just before dark...like mentioned earlier on.... less winds. So they paid the bill got in the boat and left. I forget how long it took them but no problems.

If I were going to do it I might be tempted to do it later in the evening as well, as long as the forecast was really, really good. And I had a couple guys I could trust at the helm to spell me off every couple hrs... I've made a few fairly long distance runs in the evening at hull speed, (mostly more sheltered inside waters though) and as long as it isn't pea soup fog and the seas are smooth, it can be fairly relaxing. 80 miles at hull speed would be a pretty long trip though. At 30 knots/hr or so the trip would be alot quicker. Would only attempt that with speed during the day though myself.

They made it before dark...don't forget it stays light longer up there in summer

Something else to consider... You need to make the run back eventually so make sure you have a good weather window or time to wait out till one comes along...

Something else to consider... You need to make the run back eventually so make sure you have a good weather window or time to wait out till one comes along...

In my mind when I decide to take on a new adventure I seem to break it up into 3 to 4 segments. Plan getting there , issues that may or will occur, of course the fishing then the return. Reading the posts may or will be applied to the return trip as well and info from experienced knowledge is not taken lightly and enables my great escapades that I get to experience with my buddies and my boat..

In my mind when I decide to take on a new adventure I seem to break it up into 3 to 4 segments. Plan getting there , issues that may or will occur, of course the fishing then the return. Reading the posts may or will be applied to the return trip as well and info from experienced knowledge is not taken lightly and enables my great escapades that I get to experience with my buddies and my boat..

It's always an adventure... isn't it? That's what keeps us going out there for days on end. Gotta love it!

I hate to blow my own horn but I will anyway. You could always go fishing with one of the local guides, way cheaper than the lodges, nice boats, nice accommodations and guides that know the area...

May be cheaper check us out

Bret

Having fished Massett many times over the last 10 years, I would say go with a local guide first time. Fishing Massett can be a challenge. There is almost no features other then the kelp along shore and the best fishing can be found often be found at depths, locations, times and tides that seem random. A local guide will put you on the fish.

Weather can also be a challenge. I have gone for a 10 day trip and had 8 days of 25-35 kt winds -- which ended up being non fishing days. I have also had to wait for 6 days at the ferry because it was too rude for the big boat.

Definitely worth the trip especially to check out the islands, just can be tricky logistically.

I've been fishing with a friend out of Skidegate for 3 years now. Nicely set up Trophy Pro 26 that he punches through the Narrows at 20+ knots... nothing like 50 years of local knowledge. Like others have mentioned, I've never had a tyee in the Charlottes either. But virtually everything we've landed has been in the 20-25 lb range and in shallow clear water on flasherless cut plug setup...... such great fights. Spend a day processing catch, then fly back south with a couple of boxes of prime quality fish and crab each. Whether you take the ferry or drive the boat across the Hecate, you still have the long drive back from Rupert with all the worry of preserving fresh fish.

Back