Ross Lake/Skagit river update

F

flyfire

Just got back from 3 days of fishing in Ross lake and the lower skagit. Decent fly fishing from the tube right at the mouth. Biggest caught was a 20" rainbow on a tomb-thumb size 10, smallest was 13" with size 12 sedge. Hatches between 6pm and dusk were very productive right around the fallen trees before the lake/river boundary. Mostly may-flys.
Also, ran into a guy who was using a wooly bugger on a sink tip...this guy was reeling in rainbows, brook, and a 20" dolly varden ,all from roughly the same hole, every few minutes.

River fishing was spotty north of the suspension bridge but did talk to 6-8 guys who had tubed down and they were saying that around strawberry and up a little wasn't too bad.

Thanks to Wade from Vernon for his advice and to all the other people who make the Skagit one of the nicer places to go.

I will be going up in a couple of weeks and will be updating after.

If anyone can give me a little advice on where to walk in once the water goes down a bit would be great. I tried at the suspension bridge and a 100-150 yards north of it but got skunked.

Happy fishing.

Edited by - flyfire on 07/11/2004 23:03:54

Back