Rod storage mounting ideas for smaller softops boats (rocket launchers)

Tips Up

With a 17.5 ft boat I am always stiving to be tidy and organized on board with easy access to everything but as much room for bodies and fishing as possible. I hate a cluttered boat.

My challenge is rod storage when I want to carry hali gear and salmon gear.

I have plastic 3 rod holder mounted at stern on inside infront of motor. Works great for 3 salmon rods or 3 hali rods.
But when I want to carry both you can't fish with the spares in the holders.
I do not have an arch and have no interest in one as I put the roof down after every outing to store boat in carport.

I like the 3 rod holders that you can mount to side of smaller boat hard tops that store the rods out of the way.
Anyone come up with something for soft tops?

I have 17.5ft Double Eagle with the long glass sliding windows.

Thanks!
Tips.

I see on Scotty site a track system that can mount on the gunnel and rocket launcher rod holders slide in.
Looks like I could mount it on gunnel along window and slide in 3 holders.
Anyone used these?

you can use the rail mount brackets and mount rod holders on the uprights of your soft top - works great.

High5
My anchor ect... goes right up front in the bow compartment. 450ft of rope, and chain fits in a milk crate. Anchor sits beside.
Aside from the rods you would never know I have all my hali gear on board.
I have stuff so organized that everytime I head out I feel like I must be forgetting something.
Amazing how much stuff I used to pack in the boat, not use and then unpack.

Just hate having the hali rods taking up space in front seat and chance of damage.

Poppa
Thanks. I wouldn't wat to trust my softtop frame to hold these.

I think I am leaning towards the rail system from scotty. Seems like best bet. Just need to price it out.
I'd post a link if I knew how.

Tips

I mounted a 3 rod holder bracket on the inside of each side of the boat. Not along the back.

Keeps the rods mostly out of the way I often take 6 rods out (3 salmon and 3 Hali) and hardly notice the extra rods sitting there.

Nothing better then a limit of Hali to go along with your limit of salmon!

I mounted a 3 rod holder bracket on the inside of each side of the boat. Not along the back.

Keeps the rods mostly out of the way I often take 6 rods out (3 salmon and 3 Hali) and hardly notice the extra rods sitting there.

Nothing better then a limit of Hali to go along with your limit of salmon!

Do youi have pics by chance of your setup? This topic is near the top of the list about things to change on my boat.

Have to wait for till next weekend.
Waiting for parts to come in. Should be in end of next week.

I'm almost in the exact same boat (pardon the lame pun). 17' Bayliner with canvas top that comes down when trailered. Clutter is terrible. Lookin forward to seeing your fix!

This is on my to do list as well. Have a 16.5 D.E. soft top,and want to start doing salmon/hali combo trips,but as
mentioned,it's just too cluttered. Going to build some shelving in the bow for tackle boxes,gas jugs,and such.For the
extra rods,I'm thinking of storing them horizontally on the port side. Just have to figure out a mounting system that
keeps them out of the way and safe from breakage.

Being organized on the boat is very important. Having rods laying around in the boat is cumbersome and a bigger chance for you to step on it. A neat little trick I do is wrap my line around the rod and use a lure wrap for all my treble hook baits. If you want to take it one step further than you can get rod wraps. A great company is called The Rod Glove, they come in various colours and you can colour coat the type of rods you have for specific lures or techniques. They also provide great protection for your line against UV and nicks in the line.

Henry Nguyen, Legend Boats

I was thinking of just putting another scotty mount on each side and putting a three rod rocket launcher style rodholder on it. Good for the net, doesn't have rod butts in your face off the convertible top, and you can drop the top and still have your rods stored. Removable too.

I'll be mounting this weekend. I got the parts but was a few stainless bolts short when I went to install last weekend.

Nothing magic about what I am doing. NautiGirl noted same idea...

I am mounting a #257 Scotty triple rod holder bracket with 3 #479 rocket launcher rod holders.
You have to order the Triple rod holder bracket with #241L locking mount. The standard mounts require you puting the holder in part way and then turning to lock in, but you can not do this with canopy in the way. With the locking mount you just push a button and insert straight in.
I am going to mount this on this beside my canopy. 1 button and it is removed when not needed.

The only issue I have found when dry mounting it last weekend is that the rocket launchers will not go straight up and down. But angled back one notch should work out anyways as long as there is enough space for the reels between holders. Looks like it will be OK though.

I'll post some pics this weekend.

I think it will be a good solution and cost just over $100

Tips

Finally mounted holder tonight.
Looks like it should work well. Haven't tried it on the water running with rods but seems like they are secure.
Wish I had got in done before last weekend when I went Hali fishing and had salmon gear on board.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 563
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 566
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 572
Last edited by a moderator:
1 button to release.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 683
Last edited by a moderator:
Had to install last night because I was getting PM's asking when I would have pics. LOL
Seems there are not a lot of solutions out there for softtops and a lot of guys looking for ideas.
There are more pics on the last page of this thread if you missed them

Tips

very nice . i will be doing that to my 2052 trophy pro. on both sides. thanks tips

That's the one. Scotty makes the goods we need don't they.

Back