Rod Racks

Time

As we all know, the first post in a thread cannot be edited by the poster, so I'll post details in the next message.

I've spent a bit of time thinking about what makes a good rack for rods and have come up with a couple of designs. These are what I call standard racks. If you have an idea for a rack with different features, shoot me an e mail.

I've uploaded some pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rodracks

Criteria I used were that:

they have to accomodate a variety of fishing rod types, with or without the reels attached,

they have to be compact, as a space saving measure,

and they have to be easy to insert or withdraw a rod from.

Of course, they also have to be strong enough and look good.

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Still working on pricing, but I'm thinking 25.00 for the 5 rod horizontal, and 40.00 for the 8 rod horizontal models.

The 9 rod vertical rack is somewhat more complicated and time consuming to build so I am thinking 75.00.

The horizontal models are all stained before the finishing top coat is applied. The vertical rod racks can be either a stained finish or a natural "blonde" colour.

All racks will accomodate rods with reels attached.

The vertical rack has the reels facing inwards and will hold a 5" Peetz or Shimano mooching reel mounted on the rod.

A particular feature of the vertical rod racks feature is the shaping of the inside rail to support a fly rod with the fly reel mounted on the rod. I haven't been able to find another rack that will do this (unless your rod has a long butt attached).

If you do not leave the reels attached, a 'thinner' model that does not project out so far from the wall can be built.

The 5 rod horizontal rack is made using oak wall brackets and maple, hemlock or oak for the arms.

The 8 rod horizontal racks are made from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. (Note that I only have 6 sets of these, and will make no more of these after they are sold.)

The vertical rod racks are made from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood.

For those of you unfamiliar with plywoods, 'Baltic Birch' is a particular method of making plywood where, instead of using 5 layers of veneers for 1/2" plywood, 9 layers of a thinner veneer are used, resulting in a stronger product.

Postage would be extra, and Canada Post tells me 11.00 for the vertical rack, 8.00 for the 8 rod rack, and 6.00 for the 5 rod rack.

I would appreciate your comments on these racks, and can be reached, either through the board, via Rodracks@gmail.com, or dandlolson@shaw.ca.

Woodworking is my other vocation (besides not catching fish) so if you have other ideas that you would like to see incorporated into a rack, let's see what we can work out.

Thank you for reading this far and hope to hear from you. I would appreciate your comments.

Doug

Your picture link is not working please re-post. I am possibly interested.

Sorry about the faulty link.
Poppa and Fishious, i've e-mailed you a link.

Here is a new link: http://picasaweb.google.com/Rodracks

I'd appreciate it if somebody could hit on it and let us know if it works.

Thanks for the patience. I'm trying to not clutter up the board by putting all the pictures on directly.

Doug

I'm just outside Duncan, off the Maple Bay Road.
250-748-5863.

Thanks for confirming the link.

Doug

Nice rack there Time
Link works for me.
You can tell that you spent time working out the bugs.
I like the SS dividers on the bottom.
I’m not in the market for one but hope you sell out quick.
Quality products = hand made BC
GLG

Thank you GLG.
I work to try and get it right.

Poppa, I'll probably be in Victoria for a lunch next week.
Not sure yet which day.
Will advise time/location when it is sorted out.

And to pique your interest, and to show the custom nature of my racks, here is a picture of a bottom cabinet/rack for the vertical rack I built for another person. (If this doesn't work, they have been added to the pictures in the Picasa link.)

AUT_3738.JPG

I got a real nice custom rack on the way from Time - hopefully he'll have time to take a pic and post before he delivers it - should be good!

Does the 9 rod vertical rack come with the cabinet for $75, if so, what is the price without?

Thanks.

Nice work.

Hi Oglthorpe
The rack does not come with the cabinet shown on the forum page.
Pricing would be dependent on size and style of cabinet desired.

These are custom built to suit your needs.
Let me know what you have in mind and I'll come up with a design and number.

All of my racks are pretty much custom built, so you can have virtually any size or number of rods that you want. The 9 rod size was selected to be a general "one size fits all", but it is not the only size that I can make.

I've added some new pictures to the Picasa web site showing the 10 rod cabinet rack I built for Poppa Swiss. ( http://picasaweb.google.com/Rodracks )

Here's one picture of it.
(Well, I'll be darned, I can't get the picture to appear yet, will work on it, but it is in the main Picasa folder.)

Back