Road to Bamfield

fish stalker

Ive never been. Taking my new twins for there first camping trip this may long. Was going to borrow a friends motorhome (37ft). Ive never driven in a motorhome nvm one that huge. Or need to buy new giant tent and drive new dodge caravan down. How is the road for either? Standard logging road or extra pitty? Cheers

take 2-3 hrs in a motorhome, i do an average time of 1 hour&20mins... standard logging road. road was great last weekend. graders and logging trucks working all the time so take it easy. as long as it does not rain, the road stays in pretty good shape. camping at pachena? great spot for beach time and kids. if you are staying right in bam head to the west side for a beach day at brady's, another great spot. water taxi mark is the way across to the west side. his signs are all over the place. i will be around for the long weekend if you want to do any charters. 1/2 day for some sight seeing , sea lions, whales, eagle feeding.. we dont hafta fish!

FS, I would take the route through Alberni, not the route back of cowichan lake. Although I have no recent experience on that road, around the lake up to to Nitinat is historically rough. I wouldn't take a motor home through there. I swear like a sailor every time I take my truck through there. Lotsa potholes, it's not graded much.

Pachena bay is fantastic, you'll love it there. Beauty spot.

I had two flat tires there 5 years ago. Had the first one patched in town, drove 10 minutes out of there and bingo another flat. Best business in town may be the garage that fixes tires.
You have to wonder when you see kids standing on the lawn waving a big sign saying "We Fix your flat tire".

I don't think I would take a motorhome to Bamfield, especially a borrowed one. Things always seem to break when you borrow things, and that road can be very hard on vehicles.

I don't think I would take a motorhome to Bamfield, especially a borrowed one. Things always seem to break when you borrow things, and that road can be very hard on vehicles.

X2 on this!

I've had my work truck there and back twice in the last month and it looks like a bomb exploded in the back after each time. It also rattled one of the shelfs loose and broke some of the mounting hardware.

Unless you really don't like your friend I would leave his motor home at home.

Taking a good friend's motorhome on that road would be the end of a friendship, I would suggest.

Awesome just the info I was looking for thanks guys!!

You just know something would break down and you'd have a 500+ tow bill.

Trophywife...sealion watching...bahaha...half day of fishing....oh man that is tempting!!

Yup think ill go the ALberni route, yup Pachena. Heard stories of this beach, can't wait!

Anybody have any recent reports of the bamfield road? Heading up there for may long weekend camping trip. Everybody else in the crew is taking the cowichan route from victoria,never driven either route only boated up the canal. Thanks in advance!

Heading up to Pachena this coming weekend and have a day of fishing booked. Travelling in a newer 4x4 truck from Victoria. Any updates on the roads and preference on Alberni vs Cowichan route? Google shows the Cowichan route as being 27 minutes faster. Went to Nitnat last year, no problems then.

North shore road is in okay condition compared to winter time but it's still pretty rough and you should pay attention to the pot holes, was out to nitinat last few weeks saw a guys trailer somehow break free from his truck....ugly. Not sure about beyond the bridge but usually gets better in my experience.

Back