River's Inlet

SmokinJoe

Has anyone on here ever travelled by boat from Port Hardy to Rivers Inlet. I'd like to get up to River's to hammer some huge fish one day and I'm curious how that trip is. Anyone have any River's Inlet reports to share?

Thanks

We did this trip two weeks ago in an Outrage 18. Fishing was a bit slow, but when you get one, it might be huge! We caught only 3 fish in 5 days, but two of them were 46's!

Watch the weather reports, and the crossing can be quite reasonable. We managed 30 mph one way and 24 coming back. We stayed in cabins at Dawson's Landing.

I went last year, it took about 2.5 hours in a 21ft boat on a relatively calm day. I also stayed at the floating cabins at Dawson's Landing, I think it was $110 per person, just rented out on a per bed basis so you may share the 8 man cabin with others.

I went 6 or 7 times in the late 90's and early 2000's. Travel times ranged from 3 to 6 hours in a 21'Outrage. From the dock at Hardy to the dock at Dawson's Landing. The 6 hour trip was quite rough. If you get started and it turns ugly you can stay in God's Pocket, just before you head north past Scarlett Point. There were a variety of accommodations at Dawson's Landing - shared bunkhouse type, small cabins, small house and large house - all on floats. It is operated by Nola and Rob Bachen and, if you want to rent, you should definitely call Nola to reserve. When I went there were always guys camping on the floats but I don't know if that is still allowed. The float houses are good because your boat is moored right in front so no worries about gear disappearing. Most people go for the big Springs (my biggest was 63#) but it can be pretty slow. Most Spring fishing is from Scandinavia Point to the closure at the end and be careful about the closed area because there are usually some zealous Fisheries Enforcement Officers. The standard technique is large cut-plug herring with 6 ounces of weight. One often overlooked fishery up there is the Coho. This is about the right time of year. They are anywhere from Major Brown Rock to Draney Inlet and are not like your Georgia Strait Coho. They are 12 to 15 pounds and bigger and much more plentiful than the Springs. They tend to be in the top 50'of water in the middle of the inlet. Good luck.

Thanks guys!

Back