Renfrew questions

R

Red Herring

Hi All,

Thinking of a trip up to Port Renfrew in a bit, and since Im still a noob, and have not fished there yet, a couple of questions come to mind.

1. I have not fished past Sooke yet, and I plan to fish inshore(unless its really sweet and I can comfortably get to the bank), how do the tides affect the fishing there? Does a big tide swing bring bigger swells, and is there anything I should be aware of? Is it better to wait for more mild tides?

2. I immagine i will see where the boats are going, but any advice on where to fish would be appreciated. I hear you use the same setups as Sooke, and fish shallow.

Thanks fellas

Red

Try camper creek or if you feel confident run up to the nitinat or if it's real flat and no fog, Swiftsure.If you stay close to shore ie 200 meters or less it's only about 50 feet deep so cut plug works well.DFO just announced a closure. check there notice web page.

Try camper creek or if you feel confident run up to the nitinat or if it's real flat and no fog, Swiftsure.If you stay close to shore ie 200 meters or less it's only about 50 feet deep so cut plug works well.DFO just announced a closure. check there notice web page.

Camper to Logan, back and forth, back and forth. 40-50 feet along the SHELF you can't miss!!

Thats Mr. Bags to you

Camper to Logan, back and forth, back and forth. 40-50 feet along the SHELF you can't miss!!

Thats Mr. Bags to you

When leaving the Harbour watch for a large sunken rock on your right-at high tide it's completely covered and damned near invisible.

that's why there's a warranty!

When leaving the Harbour watch for a large sunken rock on your right-at high tide it's completely covered and damned near invisible.

Roger that - seen it on the map... Ill head straight out the middle RB :~))

Edited by - Red Herring on 07/09/2004 23:59:01

Roger that - seen it on the map... Ill head straight out the middle RB :~))

Edited by - Red Herring on 07/09/2004 23:59:01

Do I need to do anything to secure my boat at the marina - lock wise?

Thanks

Red

Do I need to do anything to secure my boat at the marina - lock wise?

Thanks

Red

At that Marina No.
However leaving Crab traps unattended in the bay is a poor idea.
A local thief drives a yellow mirrorcaft and empties people's traps regularly.

At that Marina No.
However leaving Crab traps unattended in the bay is a poor idea.
A local thief drives a yellow mirrorcaft and empties people's traps regularly.

you might want to phone ahead and get a reservation for a spot i know there are booked up quite a bit all the time most people in there are watching all the time, most of the time people even leave there rods and reels sitting out seen many a islander in plain sight i dont think i have ever heard of someone getting gear stolen in there
Good luck Wolf

you might want to phone ahead and get a reservation for a spot i know there are booked up quite a bit all the time most people in there are watching all the time, most of the time people even leave there rods and reels sitting out seen many a islander in plain sight i dont think i have ever heard of someone getting gear stolen in there
Good luck Wolf

Man!!! Just got back from 2 glorious days in Renfrew. My first time up there - 2 words - - IT ROCKS!!!!!!! Full loads of both coho and springs, although the springs were all under 18 lbs :~((. Couldnt keep the feeder springs and coho OFF the hook! Awesome experience. Wish Sooke was as full! I hear there is an awesome run of BIG Coho in the fall. Might have to go back for some of that (If the wife will let me).

Red :~))

Man!!! Just got back from 2 glorious days in Renfrew. My first time up there - 2 words - - IT ROCKS!!!!!!! Full loads of both coho and springs, although the springs were all under 18 lbs :~((. Couldnt keep the feeder springs and coho OFF the hook! Awesome experience. Wish Sooke was as full! I hear there is an awesome run of BIG Coho in the fall. Might have to go back for some of that (If the wife will let me).

Red :~))

Sounds like you had a great trip. We're going up for a couple of trips in August. The springs should be well over 20 lbs by then.This year I want to try getting some of those coho on the flyrod, glad to hear there's lots around.
Tom

Back