Removing starter from Mercruiser 5.7

TenMile

Anyone have experience pulling a starter off a Mercruiser 5.7 MPI? They could not have put it in a worse location. Back of the engine, way down low, behind the exhaust riser. Engine compartment is tighter than an eagle's arse in a power dive. Any tricks or funky flexible ratchet anyone can suggest?

TenMile
<'((((><

all I can say is better you than me!

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Thanks for that link. I had been looking at iBoats, but the advice was more like the above :). Here was a helpful post.
"I have replaced many a starter in many a bost that were designed for MIGGITS!!

I go 6'+ and 220 lbs and believe me it can be one of the hardest jobs to do.

Get a deep dish 6 point 9/16 socket. get a 2-3 inch 3/8" extension and rachet. Feel ahead of time with your hands and get a feel where they are.
One is very tight to the bellhousing cover and it is tight!!

The bolt heads SHOULD be approx 1 inch long so you can get that much of the deep dish socket on good and deep. If they are not, when you get them out go get the long headed bolts.

Take your time and be very patient!!
Disconnect the starter wires and attach a wire hanger to support the starter after the bolts are removed.

The bolts go into the block from directly underneath the starter, in other words towards the motor cover top/sky!"

TenMile
<'((((><

I don't have MPI's or Horizon's but I have the 1990 Carbed version in my Tiara and I can remove the engine box and I'm looking right at the starter (lucky me) There is only 2 bolts and power and ground and the starter should pull straight out - not much to it if you can get at it. Good luck

I've made an appointment with the experts. Access is next to impossible, but one of the local service shops knows the tricks to getting it out. This would be my first starter change ever, and I can just see that doing it blind would lead to nothing but badness. I'd rather be fishing this spring/summer than fixing boats...

TenMile
<'((((><

Good for you! Spending a few saved dollars, will save you a bunch of stress. Money well spent. Good luck with your repairs..........BB

Pay someone the bucks they deserve for such a 'trusted' occupation.
Because... if you have not ever done it before you will be an expert at the end of the expedition. More than likely you will end up doing it twice. I always do. and I am pretty good at mechanical. gl

i had this same motor on my last boat. i had to use a mirror to put the socket on, lay on my back and reach under the manifold to put the driver on. pain in the arse for sure. once i got the hang of it a few times it wasn't such a problem.

As you realize advice is cheap, good professional work comes with a price but also a back-up.You also need your fingers for fishing and this task can be very hard on fingers.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Bit of an update to this adventure. Had been out for an overnight with the family several weeks ago and in the morning it took about 30 turns of the key before the boat finally turned over. When we got back, I called in one of the local mechanics. He tried for about 45 minutes to get the bolts off and just couldn't get an arm in there to loosen them. In his mind, only way to fix it was to lift the engine. Estimated cost -- $2000 (new starter only costs $100). Forget it!!! So I turned this into a DIY project.

Decided to remove the Manifolds/Risers as it was indeed time to check them. Figuring they were going to need replacement, I picked up a set of Aluminum Risers/Manifolds from HGE in Burnaby (manifoldwarehouse.com). The aluminum units save a total of 90lbs and are warrantied for 3 years.

After getting the starboard manifold off, it was relatively easy to get at the starter. One of the bolts was very tight, but with two guys in there, we got a short pipe and used it as a lever over the socket and were able to loosen the bolt off. Old starter was in rough shape -- last year the c-clamps from my exhaust bellows had come loose and was leaking water over the starter into the bilge -- don't know how long it was getting wet but it was heavily corroded. New starter install was very easy as was the replacement of the manifolds.

It turned out that my existing manifolds were in great shape still and could have gone back on. A couple of years ago, I installed a series of valves and a hose fitting that allow me to flush the engine (boat lives in the water year round so I can't use muffs). I've been using Salt-Away when I do the flush and it really seems to do the trick.

Figure I saved myself about $3500 in parts/labour. Boat is now running great and no more worry whether the boat will actually start.

TenMile
<'((((><

Thanks for that link. I had been looking at iBoats, but the advice was more like the above :). Here was a helpful post.
"I have replaced many a starter in many a bost that were designed for MIGGITS!!

I go 6'+ and 220 lbs and believe me it can be one of the hardest jobs to do.

Get a deep dish 6 point 9/16 socket. get a 2-3 inch 3/8" extension and rachet. Feel ahead of time with your hands and get a feel where they are.
One is very tight to the bellhousing cover and it is tight!!

The bolt heads SHOULD be approx 1 inch long so you can get that much of the deep dish socket on good and deep. If they are not, when you get them out go get the long headed bolts.

Take your time and be very patient!!
Disconnect the starter wires and attach a wire hanger to support the starter after the bolts are removed.

The bolts go into the block from directly underneath the starter, in other words towards the motor cover top/sky!"

TenMile
<'((((><
Hello!
Joined the forum just to say THANKS for the tips on installing the starter on the 5.7 L Mercruiser--I just bought an 85 Celebrity to fool around with and the starter was already removed so I figured, hey he got it out so I can can get it in.
The deep dish 6 point socket was a lifesaver.
I positioned the new starter on the little bracket and got the small bolt started by hand.
Then a flashlight and a little inspection mirror were a big help to feel the long bolt and get it started.
I came very near to quitting several times and calling my boat mechanic who is excellent and honest.
BUT.. after much cursing, sweating and bleeding I got the deep socket on there and drove it home.
The little bolt took about 72 turns of fractional increments with an open end wrench
Forearms look like I was attacked by a feral cat and shoulder blade, neck and back are in spasms but THE STARTER IS IN! THANKS
Was too whipped to try and start it today as it was 95 in Pittsburgh today and I had to go to work after my adventure.
More to follow.
Thanks again

Did it mysefl on my bayliner 2x in 6 years, pulled the motor up, pain in the butt. I mean you can dick around and be very patient and get it out but man patience is not my thing. Some inboards have a bit of room to work but mine add next to zero

Back