Remembering a Time... The Start!

Cool video! fly fish only is annoying, it's just as easy if not easier to snag fly fishing as opposed to vertical float fishing or chucking spoons and spinners. I do like that FFO keeps more people away from the river. Fly fishing is not the most effective way to fish, being proficient at various methods will increase your chances.

QUOTE=Derby;375362]Remembering a Time... The Start!

A day wandering a local Island flow...pondering what the meaning of fishing truly means to RVP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIqsTIfdZRw[/QUOTE]

Cool video, what a great time of year.

I'm not sure what flyfishing only accomplishes.... It seems to me like a majority of the fly only regulations on vancouver island (and there's many) were put in place because certain groups wanted to eliminate competition. Frustrated anglers that became organized and lobbied for these changes for their own agenda, certainly not because they had conservation as their goal. It's nice to see some of the regs have been changed and now there's more recreational access to a few van island rivers. Kudos to those involved.
My rant for the day.

I'm not sure what flyfishing only accomplishes.... It seems to me like a majority of the fly only regulations on vancouver island (and there's many) were put in place because certain groups wanted to eliminate competition. Frustrated anglers that became organized and lobbied for these changes for their own agenda, certainly not because they had conservation as their goal. It's nice to see some of the regs have been changed and now there's more recreational access to a few van island rivers. Kudos to those involved.
My rant for the day.

What "certain groups" are you referring to?

Your crock-o-crap doesn't mean anything unless you will name names and give examples of what you are claiming happened.

Call me curious.

Take care.

My rant for the day.

x100 Whether folks became organized or not to pursue the FFO agenda matters not to me. What really matters is it makes NO sense whatsoever. I truly believe that many of the proponents of FFO are doing so because they are pursuing self serving agendas aimed at restricting whom they perceive to be competition on the river. When pushed, they openly admit that.

Meanwhile, what they have accomplished is placing a significant barrier in the way of young or inexperienced new anglers to taking an interest in our sport. This is leading to fewer anglers who are passionate about rivers, leaving that to those of us who cling onto the fishery because we harbour distant memories of what we once enjoyed. Last time I checked, there are fewer and fewer of these old guard anglers still alive. Soon there will be no one to speak for the river if we keep this up. Totally irresponsible IMO.

Time to open up rivers for all anglers regardless of tackle orientation. If the agenda was truly about "conservation" these same folks would instead lobby for smaller hook gaps and "artificial flies only" rather than FFO.

One major positive was DFO took the bull by the horns and opened the Qualicum up to all gear types. The FFO regulation is dead. A start!

BTW, good on RVP for making this film. Captured the essence of the issue and questions what the point really is.

x100 Whether folks became organized or not to pursue the FFO agenda matters not to me. What really matters is it makes NO sense whatsoever. I truly believe that many of the proponents of FFO are doing so because they are pursuing self serving agendas aimed at restricting whom they perceive to be competition on the river. When pushed, they openly admit that.

Meanwhile, what they have accomplished is placing a significant barrier in the way of young or inexperienced new anglers to taking an interest in our sport. This is leading to fewer anglers who are passionate about rivers, leaving that to those of us who cling onto the fishery because we harbour distant memories of what we once enjoyed. Last time I checked, there are fewer and fewer of these old guard anglers still alive. Soon there will be no one to speak for the river if we keep this up. Totally irresponsible IMO.

Time to open up rivers for all anglers regardless of tackle orientation. If the agenda was truly about "conservation" these same folks would instead lobby for smaller hook gaps and "artificial flies only" rather than FFO.

One major positive was DFO took the bull by the horns and opened the Qualicum up to all gear types. The FFO regulation is dead. A start!

I doubt it will happen in Cowichan.... Pretty strong opposition to gear in upper river. I agree though I am not sure why... Both impact fish same way...

And maybe if enough of the silent majority stepped up and demanded change on the Cowie things would shift in the upper river too. Much like the Qualicum where there was no rationale for FFO. There is no scientific conservation business case for that fly only regulation on the Cowie....or if they start arguing it is a "social issue" perhaps then there could be a "Gear Fishing Only" regulation...after all that would be "fair.";)

I'll name one Dave. Joe Saysell and his group of fly worshipers have been in Bob Hootens ear for years trying to get the entire Cowichan River "fly only" , pretty common knowledge. Almost every river on Vancouver Island that has a "fly only" section has had major input from a fly fishing group in that area. I have the opinion that if its good enough for one group to fish then it should be good for all groups. Imagine the uproar if there were float fishing only sections on some rivers, the fly guys wouldn't stand for it. But we sit back and let MOE stuff these ridiculous regs down our throats.

Actually all regulation changes on the Island our run thru the VI FFRAC process where all user groups have a equal say.... so its not as bad as one would think.... :)

Agreed, FFRAC process is at least an open venue where proposed changes to the regs can be discussed and hopefully agreed upon by consensus. Certainly one way to start the process of addressing concerns with the Cowie Regulations would be to write into the Ministry asking the FFRAC to consider a change in the regulations to remove the FFO regulation on the upper river....just saying that there is a way to get concerns regarding this regulation addressed...starts with writing Ministry a letter asking for regulation change.

Great vid. Thanks for posting Derby.

I usually don't post in this section but here is one perspective in regards to fly fishing lol!!!. He has a point with some of the percentage of fly fishers out there. I think the majority have a better outlook on fishing in general. I just don't like certain groups pushing their ideals around without looking at the big picture is all. We need to keep people interested and enjoying fishing no matter what gear or technique they choose to use.

[94OoSksenEE] http://youtu.be/94OoSksenEE

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup that guy has a valid point. Fly fishing is just another way to enjoy the sport of fishing. No different than a guy with a spinning rod. Open access regardless of gear choice should be what we aspire to enjoy on our waters. Thankfully we don't have those same FFO zealots on the salt water scene.

My rant for the day.

Aside from Roe Bags coming up with Joe Saysell and Bob Hooton nobody has named any of the "certain groups" who "wanted to eliminate competition" and I don't think either of them fall into the "eliminate competition" description either.

I always find that statement hilarious whenever it comes up, which is everytime somebody trolls with it, as I used to know a ton of steelheaders using all methods back when I was involved and I've never ever run across any who wanted to eliminate competition. The whole idea is so stupid as to beg the question as to why anyone ever claims it.

And then to compound the stupidity it's stated they organized and lobbied to change things for their own agenda and "certainly not because they had conservation as their goal."

Really??

Somebody needs to give their head a shake.

The primary concern of nearly every group formed around fish or fishing is almost always conservation.

I'm not going to waste any more time pursuing this as I really don't give a crap anymore but I do care when stupid things are claimed and assinine insinuations ventured.

Name the groups and tell us what they accomplished in the way of having FFO established on so many rivers on the island that somehow it presents a problem for you.

That's all I'm asking.

Otherwise it remains a crock-o-crap, as I first noted.

Take care.

I would caution against naming names or groups. Having once challenged someone by name for pursuing that agenda and then receiving threatening letters from a lawyer I can speak from experience you should not go down that trap. Good thing I hired a more skilled lawyer to chomp a few bites out of their lawyer.

I already stated my post was my own personal opinion, and I stand by what I said. You're calling me out and going over my post with a magnifying glass as if I've personally attacked you or a particular flyfishing club or something?? I couldn't even name a group let alone a person lol, so you clearly need to relax. Sorry, maybe I should have said certain "individuals" instead of "groups", then maybe you wouldn't be so worked up.

If me saying that fly only water was put in place to remove competition is so stupid and assinine, then why was it done? And how come it's all of a sudden being removed on rivers like the Englishman and Little Q. I honestly want to know? There must have been a reason to go fly only on these locations?? I hope the decision was based on science, but I'm skeptical.

Wow. After reading all the above posts, I forgot what the original thread was. I wonder if Rob was trying to stir up debate on fly or gear, or just post a nice video of how fishing a river or just walking it's banks can stir up memories and emotion. It can really make you forget all the problems and BS in this world and re-connect you with nature. One of my earliest memories is hooking a steelhead on the Cap back in the 60's as a kid with my dad. Never did land it, but just to see the power that a fish can possess was enough for me. Hooked for life.

I think those fly only regs were put in place originally as a conservation tactic. The thought was it was harder to catch fish with a fly rod and line and single barbless hook. And there may have been some truth to that... Then.

Fly equipment is not what it used to be 30 or 40 years ago when a lot of these rules were put in place. With modern fly gear, especially all the line choices, it's equally as effective as standard gear now, hence the removal of the regs on little q etc.

At least that's my take on the matter.

Back