rebuilt outboards

Discussion in 'Boats, Motors, Trailers and Towing Rigs Forum' started by rln, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rln

rln Member

Just wondering if anyone here ever purchased a rebiult outboard and if so what are the pro's and con's of doing so?. The one pro I see is price. Can get a rebuilt 115 for about $5000.00. New will be $10,000 plus. A con will be overall life with new lasting much longer.

2. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

There's a rebuilt 90hp merc in used Victoria today for 2K.
    looks to be in good shape, ss prop.
    Hard to say how long it would last, a rebuild is only as good as the mechanic who did it.

3. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

There's a rebuilt 90hp merc in used Victoria today for 2K.
    looks to be in good shape, ss prop.
    Hard to say how long it would last, a rebuild is only as good as the mechanic who did it.

4. spring time

spring time Active Member

have you looked at a camp motor yet. they come from fishing camps with 150- to 200 hours on them and are a couple years old

5. spring time

spring time Active Member

have you looked at a camp motor yet. they come from fishing camps with 150- to 200 hours on them and are a couple years old

6. marula

marula Active Member

I bought a 3 season old motor with bottom to top rebuild c/w 1.5 year warranty and it runs like new and quite a bit less then 1/2 of new. Pro is saving money, if its a newer model and comes with a warranty there is few cons but if its a older model your buying into older technology and there are still a lot of parts that simply wear out with time regardless of hours. If its newer model, professionially rebuilt, not just piston and rings, comes with a warranty , there can be good value in it, especially for an average sport fisherman that only logs a few hundred hours a year.

good luck

7. marula

marula Active Member

I bought a 3 season old motor with bottom to top rebuild c/w 1.5 year warranty and it runs like new and quite a bit less then 1/2 of new. Pro is saving money, if its a newer model and comes with a warranty there is few cons but if its a older model your buying into older technology and there are still a lot of parts that simply wear out with time regardless of hours. If its newer model, professionially rebuilt, not just piston and rings, comes with a warranty , there can be good value in it, especially for an average sport fisherman that only logs a few hundred hours a year.

good luck

8. speydog

speydog Member

My rule, "never buy used" especially if you do a lot of boating. Maintenance will eat up what you didn't pay for new. Maybe a lease motor if you have to they do have time limits eg. 2 yrs. But I don't find people selling used motors because they run well. Even if fairly new.

9. speydog

speydog Member

My rule, "never buy used" especially if you do a lot of boating. Maintenance will eat up what you didn't pay for new. Maybe a lease motor if you have to they do have time limits eg. 2 yrs. But I don't find people selling used motors because they run well. Even if fairly new.