rebuilt outboards

rln

Just wondering if anyone here ever purchased a rebiult outboard and if so what are the pro's and con's of doing so?. The one pro I see is price. Can get a rebuilt 115 for about $5000.00. New will be $10,000 plus. A con will be overall life with new lasting much longer.

There's a rebuilt 90hp merc in used Victoria today for 2K.
looks to be in good shape, ss prop.
Hard to say how long it would last, a rebuild is only as good as the mechanic who did it.

have you looked at a camp motor yet. they come from fishing camps with 150- to 200 hours on them and are a couple years old

I bought a 3 season old motor with bottom to top rebuild c/w 1.5 year warranty and it runs like new and quite a bit less then 1/2 of new. Pro is saving money, if its a newer model and comes with a warranty there is few cons but if its a older model your buying into older technology and there are still a lot of parts that simply wear out with time regardless of hours. If its newer model, professionially rebuilt, not just piston and rings, comes with a warranty , there can be good value in it, especially for an average sport fisherman that only logs a few hundred hours a year.

good luck

I bought a 3 season old motor with bottom to top rebuild c/w 1.5 year warranty and it runs like new and quite a bit less then 1/2 of new. Pro is saving money, if its a newer model and comes with a warranty there is few cons but if its a older model your buying into older technology and there are still a lot of parts that simply wear out with time regardless of hours. If its newer model, professionially rebuilt, not just piston and rings, comes with a warranty , there can be good value in it, especially for an average sport fisherman that only logs a few hundred hours a year.

good luck

My rule, "never buy used" especially if you do a lot of boating. Maintenance will eat up what you didn't pay for new. Maybe a lease motor if you have to they do have time limits eg. 2 yrs. But I don't find people selling used motors because they run well. Even if fairly new.

My rule, "never buy used" especially if you do a lot of boating. Maintenance will eat up what you didn't pay for new. Maybe a lease motor if you have to they do have time limits eg. 2 yrs. But I don't find people selling used motors because they run well. Even if fairly new.

I’m still here sorry was deer hunting the last few days with the family. I know bridgeview does them and maybe m&p I don’t know about the island

Although I see this is a very old thread, the comment ....”Never buy Used” is silly given the new world order of sophisticated 4 strokes on the market these days. I bought my last 5 boats used....Boat No. 1 had a Evinrude Ficht 150 on it—-that was a mistake, mainly because the technology was bad and even a new one would have blown up....but that wasn’t a 4 stroke and yes, it threw a push rod. Boat No. 2 had a Yamaha F150 with a few hundred hours on it....ran like a top and I’m sure it’s still running like a top for the guy who bought it from me. Boat No. 3 had a Honda BF150 on it with 300 hours. Ran like a top and I’m sure it’s running like a top for the guy who bought it from me. Boat No. 4 had a Suzuki DF300 on it with 150 hours. Ran like a top for me for 3 seasons and I’m sure the guy who bought it from me with 450 hours will get many years of trouble-free use out of it. Three weeks ago I bought BOat No. 5 with twin DF200 Suzukis on it with 200 hours. I have every expectation those outboards will run like new for years to come

Don't think your engine #1 threw a push rod...2 strokes don't have valves.

The ones I have done with Wiseco Pistons have turned out awesome, nicer parts than OEM imo for a price you can afford!

Attachments

• IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 18
Reed valves are not mechanical they work off crankcase vaacum pulses and are located behind the carbs in the intake manifold. Yes I’m assume he meant connecting rod..probably through the side off the block.

I use Wiseco pistons as well...forged pistons made in USA and for my application come in 20, 40 and 60 over. So mine could be rebored 3 times from standard. Mine are 23 years old and still only 20 over.

Alot of rebuilt motors are from the southern salt water states. Not uncommon for Florida boats to see 500 hours a year as the hard core guys go out every weekend that it is not howling, and then often 20 miles off shore to get to the fishing, or more, and then back in.

The repowered engines do not have much work done on the leg unless a seal or lower bearing goes, which is not very often. The companies that do these power heads are doing it quick and dirty and expect no failures for any short warranty.

My experience with a 1992 Johnson 120 was terrible as the frankensteined engine had carbs from three different engine sizes on it, and it ended up having to have all carbs taken apart and re jetted. End product was good, after a year of misery with a shop that was not equipped with a dynometer. Different shop figured out the problems with the carbs, but took $1500 to do it. Not much saving at the end of the day for the amount of grief I suffered with it.

Drewski

Back