Re-powering a Skagit Orca

spring fever

I am tired of being nervous about my 225 hp 2003 Yamaha. It has 825 hours on it, all the numbers are good and the impeller and thermos were done---but!!! it's time!! What to get-225 was underpowered so I feel 300 should do. I have always had Yammi's but I'm not in love with them as I feel let down over the well known mid-section corrosion issue. I'm going to pull the trigger in the next week-Suzuki, e-tec, Yammi- I don't know about merc-do they make a 300. I have thought about twins but I feel the pod would have to be modified and I'm stretching to get the money for a single. I understand about servicing etc etc-what I want to know is what would you choose based solely on the outboard-longevity, warranty etc. etc. Reasons and personal experience would be helpful. Thanks

I have a buddy with twin ETecs, much better economy than the Verados he had previously.
I have been on his boat and they are extremely quiet and smoke free.
Easy maintenance and winterizing too.
The only thing I am not fond of is the look of the housing on the new 250/300.
Saw them at the boat show and looks like something out of the Transformers movie.

You have a 12 year old Yamaha that while that model was known to have an issue, you haven't had the problem. I think with 12 years service the answer is obvious.

Personally I would recommend the product that a dealer you trust……….not the product he sells.
They all make a pretty comparable product now but they all will need service at some point so the service department makes or brakes if you buy their product again IMO.
If your dealer is incompetent and cant get you back on the water in a timely fashion or cant diagnose a specific problem due to the inabilities of under-skilled techs than you will hate any product you buy.

If your hot roddin 2 stroke if your cruising and fishing 4 stroke. If you run a kicker then it doesn't matter, fuel economy wise the breaker even if they are comparable is the expensive DFI oil that 2 strokes require. Just make sure it's naturally aspirated that shaves off some extra moving parts that could go wrong over the long run, compressors and super chargers are crazy expensive plus if they fail they wreck many other parts in the process. Good luck in your search.

You have a 12 year old Yamaha that while that model was known to have an issue, you haven't had the problem. I think with 12 years service the answer is obvious.

I'm with Pro, 850 hrs is not really a lot.
I would have the mid section checked out and if it's all good
you might get another 5 years out of it.

on the other hand, you may want a new toy ? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Pro, 850 hrs is not really a lot.
I would have the mid section checked out and if it's all good
you might get another 5 years out of it.

on the other hand, you may want a new toy ? ;)

I'm with rs!! If you get another year or two out of it, then you won't have to stretch so hard. That part isn't fun!!

I know of a few 250 yamis with 3000hrs and are still running strong and I know of a 300 suzy with just over 2700 hrs their still running strong ready for another season, I think at this point on borrowed time but the owners are confident. I would say who offers the best deal and service. I'm in the same boat right now just working out the numbers out the door but I think I have it nailed down. Good luck!

I bought a 300 Yamaha for my 24 Grady White Voyager and I love it, the fly by wire control is unreal, crazy smooth. The trolling option works like a dream, i have a 9.9 but in rough conditions or big current I use the main, and its really nice to just push a button to move up or down 50rpm.
I cruise at 30mph getting 12mpg and have a top speed of 44mph, I do need to change the prop to get better performance. Should see 46-47 top end.
From what I've been reading on Hull Truth the 300 Yamaha is very reliable but the Suzuki is too, personal preference, you really cant go wrong with either one.
There is the new Merc 400hp, and its light, but OMG alot more $$

850hrs isn't many hours but if you have the money brand new sure is nice.

Still curious what pitch as our hulls are similar in weight and I plan to go to a single vs the current twins and I hope I can use one of my Enertia's but the pitch I thinks questionable that's why I ask.

I bought a 300 Yamaha for my 24 Grady White Voyager and I love it, the fly by wire control is unreal, crazy smooth. The trolling option works like a dream, i have a 9.9 but in rough conditions or big current I use the main, and its really nice to just push a button to move up or down 50rpm.
I cruise at 30mph getting 12mpg and have a top speed of 44mph, I do need to change the prop to get better performance. Should see 46-47 top end.
From what I've been reading on Hull Truth the 300 Yamaha is very reliable but the Suzuki is too, personal preference, you really cant go wrong with either one.
There is the new Merc 400hp, and its light, but OMG alot more $$

850hrs isn't many hours but if you have the money brand new sure is nice.

typo I think. 12gph? or 1.2mpg?

You're getting 12mpg?

My Exact thoughts. I can get maybe 4mpg with my 50 Yamaha, 12 would be really impressive, but that would also be a 2.5 GPH fuel burn, which is REEAALLYY Impressive

I just went through the re-power process with my new to me boat...best price I got on a pair of Suzuki 250 hp was at Boatland in Campbell River. The service and install was fantastic..I can not say enough good things about the experience with them. I looked at dealers on the Island as that is where I do most of my boating .

If you have your heart set on new power I would still put a new mid section in the one you have and make it an easy sell it yourself motor. With a new midsection and only 825 hrs you should get a decent price for it and help you on the new purchase.

I am tired of being nervous about my 225 hp 2003 Yamaha. It has 825 hours on it, all the numbers are good and the impeller and thermos were done---but!!! it's time!! What to get-225 was underpowered so I feel 300 should do. I have always had Yammi's but I'm not in love with them as I feel let down over the well known mid-section corrosion issue. I'm going to pull the trigger in the next week-Suzuki, e-tec, Yammi- I don't know about merc-do they make a 300. I have thought about twins but I feel the pod would have to be modified and I'm stretching to get the money for a single. I understand about servicing etc etc-what I want to know is what would you choose based solely on the outboard-longevity, warranty etc. etc. Reasons and personal experience would be helpful. Thanks

Mike,

I personally have owned the same engine you are replacing (X 2) and also found myself nervous about the corrosion issue you're talking about and honestly have to admit, even with that underlying issue those two engines never gave me any problem - what-so-ever! I have also owned the others and have nothing bad to say about them; however, with that said, if given a choice - I would buy a another Yamaha over any of the others mentioned. But that's only me - to each his own and know many who haven't had any problems with theirs. And, many who have had problems with ALL of them. If it where "me" and based on the research I've already done, and was going to re-power would have to look very closely at that 'Pro FourStroke 200-300 hp Verado.' Some of the reasons are here:
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/verado/pro-fourstroke-200-300-hp/
http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Mercury/6500026_300-Verado_2013

Like I said that is only me - to each his own!
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
"300 Yamaha for my 24 Grady White Voyager and I love it, the fly by wire control is unreal"

could someone explain Yamaha' fly by wire feature, i don't see anything on there website.

Spring Fever, i run a gen1 version etec 300 on a older trophy. love it, 51 knts wot. no problems but i only have 200 hrs on it. all the numbers are all basically the same nowadays. kinda depends where your service can be done..... well at 500 hrs maybe a short drive somewhere isn't all that bad. First service approx 1200$.
another thing tho is the torque, we got caught leaving Ferrer. Swells where alot bigger than the boat and i had to holeshot every wave and motor did it no problem. the new one may look different but anytime a company completely changes a motor its gonna look different. plus the new narrow design allows the rich to run triples and quads off the transoms now.

Back